Old 22-04-2019, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default may be a bit late but we'll give it a try today

planting some peas. it has been raining so much that
the garden where they're going has been way too muddy
for letting me get it done sooner. i need to lift the
rows along the edges a bit before putting the peas in
so they won't drown/rot if it does get too rainy again,
but i think the weather this week is going to be mixed
enough they should have a good chance of starting ok.

at least the high spots in that garden are already
drying out enough so the main plantings will be ok in
there once we get to warm enough weather.

as usual with any plans i have, they can change from
moment to moment so wish me luck on today's missions...

songbird
Old 06-05-2019, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

planting some peas. it has been raining so much that
the garden where they're going has been way too muddy
for letting me get it done sooner. i need to lift the

as usual with any plans i have, they can change from
moment to moment so wish me luck on today's missions...

they've been sprouting and able to push up out of the
ground. i wasn't even sure the seeds were any good so
i'm glad to see them poking up. it took long enough
for them to germinate that i wondered... cool soil i
worried they rotted.

now i have to make sure i can keep the groundhogs out
of that garden for a bit longer (they usually don't get
through the fence, but once in a while one of them will
climb or find a way through).

we mowed yesterday for the first time, that will also
help deter the groundhogs if they don't have cover to
get through i can see them and plink at them. the one
that comes through once in a while is now smart enough
to go running if i open the patio door or if there is
any noise from this direction. i was hoping i could
remove it before it had babies...

i really need to get that fence up soon. deer tracks
all over and they're making a mess of things not counting
what they're eating. also the time sensitive thing is
that i have to have it up before the lilac tree in the NE
corner starts flowering.

i may just do that today. i have been trying to get
other things done and so putting it off.

no frost in the forecast. i wonder if i should risk
planting some early beans. the buckwheat is sprouting so
at least i know the ground temperature is getting close
to warm enough. i have some beans that i found out are
really supposed to be cooler weather types but sadly i
doubt they'll survive a hard frost and i don't have that
many seeds to risk - choices, choices...

songbird