GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is wrong with my onions? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/216141-what-wrong-my-onions.html)

T[_4_] 31-05-2019 09:32 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

songbird[_2_] 01-06-2019 04:20 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

something taller perhaps. do you have deer
around there?

anyways, they'll grow back...

songbird

T[_4_] 02-06-2019 03:37 AM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 6/1/19 8:20 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

something taller perhaps. do you have deer
around there?

anyways, they'll grow back...

songbird

The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

songbird[_2_] 03-06-2019 12:31 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

*shrug*

dunno... not much eats onions/garlic...

if you have pets i hope it isn't them as it's not
good for them.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 03-06-2019 12:32 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

wonder if you had hail? though it seems strange
to me that it would be limited damage to only a
few onions...

songbird

T[_4_] 03-06-2019 11:56 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 6/3/19 4:32 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18"
plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

wonder if you had hail? though it seems strange
to me that it would be limited damage to only a
few onions...

songbird

We have been having thunderstorms, but no hail as of yet

Paul Drahn[_2_] 04-06-2019 06:31 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

T[_4_] 04-06-2019 08:53 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 6/4/19 10:31 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

T[_4_] 04-06-2019 11:10 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 6/4/19 12:53 PM, T wrote:
AroundÂ*here,Â*IÂ*wouldÂ*suspectÂ*rabbits.

Do they eat the scapes too. My mystery browsers left
all the scapes

Paul Drahn[_2_] 05-06-2019 05:21 AM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

T[_4_] 05-06-2019 06:11 AM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten

Paul Drahn[_2_] 06-06-2019 04:07 AM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten

That is exactly what the cotton tails do to my wife's flowers!

Paul

T[_4_] 06-06-2019 04:34 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 5/31/2019 1:32 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter
were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off
the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

https://ibb.co/yRHh66J

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?
They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next
part of the plant.

Paul

That would explain the half eaten

That is exactly what the cotton tails do to my wife's flowers!

Paul

I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

songbird[_2_] 06-06-2019 10:26 PM

What is wrong with my onions?

T wrote:
I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

i wish that were true here, but the wabbits take
the beans right off at nearly ground level.

groundhogs will leave the bottom leaves alone
(they like the tender new growth).

songbird

Nelly W[_2_] 20-06-2019 03:07 AM

What is wrong with my onions?

On 6/6/2019 5:26 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to
grow back so they can harvest it again? If so,
that would be one smart bunny!

i wish that were true here, but the wabbits take
the beans right off at nearly ground level.

groundhogs will leave the bottom leaves alone
(they like the tender new growth).

songbird

damwabbits. Ugh.
The daring, dastardly little girl in me recently set off a stinkbomb
down a damwabbit hole. (or maybe just a woodchuck.) It was those kind
that poof up & then explode. Short while later my son was bouncing on
the trampoline, said "something stinks!". Not sure it ever reached the
damwabbit though. 3rd grade entertainment, o how I've missed it.