Old 02-06-2019, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When to start fertilizing?

Hi All,

When to start fertilizing?

1) sprouts from seeds?

2) transplants from the nursery?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 03-06-2019, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

When to start fertilizing?

1) sprouts from seeds?

depends upon the size of the seeds and if
you've repotted into more fertile medium than
seed starting mix. usually i would only
supplement fertilize only if the plants are
showing signs of deficiency (why waste $?)...

2) transplants from the nursery?

only when actively growing and showing
signs of deficiency.

after a few years of planting various things
you should have some idea of what is normal
given your other conditions (like this year we've
had a lot of rain but not much sunshine so plants
will be lagging a bit).

songbird
Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:
Hi All,

When to start fertilizing?

1) sprouts from seeds?

For seeds started inside, I start when they get the first set of
true leaves.

2) transplants from the nursery?

Once things are outside, I'm pretty inconsistent.

I usually add bone & blood meal to the hole when setting things
out. Aside from that, I don't do much unless I see signs of a
problem.

--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,