Old 20-06-2019, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preserving garlic for replanting?

Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall. Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then. Put it in the refrigerator?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 20-06-2019, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/2019 2:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall.Â* Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then.Â* Put it in the refrigerator?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* I stored the garlic I grew in the garden in a bowl on the table ...
after properly curing it (strung and hung for a couple of months IIRC) .
It stayed good enough to use (or plant) for close to 2 years . BTW , I
planted cloves from some Walmart garlic , came out swell . Use the
biggest cloves for the biggest bulbs .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 20-06-2019, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall. Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then. Put it in the refrigerator?

keep it in the dark and cool after it has
fully dried out.

you can also immediately replant it (use the
largest cloves from several bulbs).

songbird
Old 20-06-2019, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/19 1:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/20/2019 2:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall.Â* Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then.Â* Put it in the refrigerator?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* I stored the garlic I grew in the garden in a bowl on the table ...
after properly curing it (strung and hung for a couple of months IIRC) .
It stayed good enough to use (or plant) for close to 2 years . BTW , I
planted cloves from some Walmart garlic , came out swell . Use the
biggest cloves for the biggest bulbs .

I lay mine on a wire rack. How to you do yours?

Old 20-06-2019, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/19 1:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Walmart

You'd think that Walmart would carry the substandard stuff,
but I am not finding that to be the case. Even their green
onions sprouted.

And they sell the same brand (Bonnie) from the same truck of
potted plants as does everyone else at 1/2 the price.

Maybe Wal Mart could not find a Chinese supplier?

Old 20-06-2019, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

Old 20-06-2019, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/2019 2:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall.Â* Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then.Â* Put it in the refrigerator?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* Â* I stored the garlic I grew in the garden in a bowl on the table ...
after properly curing it (strung and hung for a couple of months
IIRC) .
It stayed good enough to use (or plant) for close to 2 years . BTW , I
planted cloves from some Walmart garlic , came out swell . Use the
biggest cloves for the biggest bulbs .

I lay mine on a wire rack.Â* How to you do yours?

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

Which links you to:

Â*Â*Â* https://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm

Thank you!

What would be the difference between a wire rack and hanging
them?

From: https://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm

After garlic is harvested it needs to be cured. In curing
the energy from the leaves goes into the bulbs as they dry.

Uhhh. I harvest them when the leaves die off.

Remove any chunks of dirt from the roots, being careful not
to bruise the garlic. Leave the roots on as they have a
moderating effect on the drying rate.

I have been removing the roots. Ooops.

If you have a small amount you can spread the plants out where
they are protected from the sun and rain and there is good
air circulation.

Wire rack in teh garage. Lots of air circulates through it in
the summer and it is usually dark

We hang the plants - about 25 to 40 to a string in bunches
of 3 to 6.

No leaves left to tie up.

:'(

Old 21-06-2019, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/19 2:04 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall. Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then. Put it in the refrigerator?

keep it in the dark and cool after it has
fully dried out.

you can also immediately replant it (use the
largest cloves from several bulbs).

That would be my favorite way. Will the
mature plants make it through the ice
and snow? I know bulbs in the ground will.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving
what I want to replant in the fall.Â* Usually it get all dried
out and dies on me by then.Â* Put it in the refrigerator?

Â*Â* keep it in the dark and cool after it has
fully dried out.

Â*Â* you can also immediately replant it (use the
largest cloves from several bulbs).

That would be my favorite way.Â* Will the
mature plants make it through the ice
and snow?Â* I know bulbs in the ground will.

Just don't water them until the spring?

Old 21-06-2019, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
T wrote:

That would be my favorite way.Â* Will the
mature plants make it through the ice
and snow?Â* I know bulbs in the ground will.

Just don't water them until the spring?

spring bulbs will send out roots the
previous season as soon as they can get
going. if it is dry they will wait for
the rains.

here they may start actively growing
any chance they get in the winter but
even if they don't when the spring comes
around and the warmer weather and some
rains they'll come up and start growing.

you mention that you are waiting for
all the leaves to die back before lifting
the garlic, but you shouldn't let it go
that long as the tunics (wrappings around
the bulb) may not be in the best condition
if you wait that long. you should instead
lift it when about half the leaves are
going brown and finish curing it above
ground.

my garlic here isn't even close to being
done yet, not much sun and too much rain
i don't think there are scapes yet or they
may just now be starting to form.

in the clay here i have to lift them
or the tunics get discolored.

i have however, many places where garlic
just grows and i don't touch it at all.
so in case my main plantings go bad i have
a backup source to start over again. it's
also what i did up and eat when i want
some green garlic.

songbird
Old 21-06-2019, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/19 5:52 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
T wrote:

[...]

About 1/5 of the leaves have started to die out. I will
check at 1/2!

They already went to scapes, which I am currently munching on.

Is scaping any indicator?

How about onions? Wait for the leave to all die or half die?

Old 21-06-2019, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

if you have enough bulbs growing you can pull one
when about 1/3 of the leaves are turning and then
see how it looks. i think there is some variability
within garlics that some may finish sooner than
others and such. once you get some experience then
you'll know.

i've made the mistake of letting it go too long
and that affects how well it cures and stores.

How about onions? Wait for the leave to all die or half die?

i try to get onions out of the ground after a
lot of the leaves have fallen over. again it can
be dependent upon what variety. some need a good
cure to store well so i want them out of the
gardens and cured well before it gets too cool or
wet in the fall. most are done when it gets hot
and dry here so that can be ok. other onions do
not store well so you want to eat them before
they'll go bad.

for flowers the next season leave a few of the
smaller onions so they can grow again. then
you'll have all the seeds you want.

songbird
Old 21-06-2019, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/19 8:42 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Do you wash off the dirt, which can be prodigious, or
just wipe them?

On the seeds, do you just cut the heads off when the seeds
start to harden?

How do you store the seeds?

And when do you plant the seeds?

Old 21-06-2019, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/20/2019 10:42 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Â* When is a good time to harvest those seeds ? I have several bunching
onions in bloom right now , and I'm considering starting from seed for
next year .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old