Old 24-06-2019, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Help me kill this...please

I have this weed in my chile patch. It's shown up every year for quite a while and every year it's a little more invasive than the year before. I can cut it off pretty deep, several inches, and not hit its roots. I suspect there's a very deep runner or something and it sends up plants from there. Round-up (desperate here) seems to kill the particular plant but not the entire system and its mothership. It roughly radiates outward from a point slightly outside my property, on the other side of our fence.

I've never seen this before its first appearance in my garden. It's a toughie.

https://imgur.com/a/X7O9a3Z
Old 24-06-2019, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/24/2019 1:51 PM, wrote:
I have this weed in my chile patch. It's shown up every year for quite a while and every year it's a little more invasive than the year before. I can cut it off pretty deep, several inches, and not hit its roots. I suspect there's a very deep runner or something and it sends up plants from there. Round-up (desperate here) seems to kill the particular plant but not the entire system and its mothership. It roughly radiates outward from a point slightly outside my property, on the other side of our fence.

I've never seen this before its first appearance in my garden. It's a toughie.

https://imgur.com/a/X7O9a3Z

I tried your url here but it did not work.

https://images.google.com/

Maybe if you uploaded directly to them it would work.

Then thinking while typing I download your image and tried it myself I
got this:

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sb..._19_1uzV&hl=en

I did not take a good look at these results but maybe they will help if
you did.

As for weed, I don't know but suspect weeds on adjacent property are
sending over seeds. I have problem weeds also caused by intrusion of
neighboring weeds.
Old 25-06-2019, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I have this weed in my chile patch. It's shown up every year for quite a while and every year it's a little more invasive than the year before. I can cut it off pretty deep, several inches, and not hit its roots. I suspect there's a very deep runner or something and it sends up plants from there. Round-up (desperate here) seems to kill the particular plant but not the entire system and its mothership. It roughly radiates outward from a point slightly outside my property, on the other side of our fence.

I've never seen this before its first appearance in my garden. It's a toughie.

https://imgur.com/a/X7O9a3Z

if you are going to use roundup/glyphosate on it you
want to use it when there are plenty of leaves and it
is actively growing.

if you don't want it to grow put a few layers of
cardboard over it and put down a nice layer of wood-
chips. not much can survive being smothered. if it
doesn't get it all the first time rake back the
woodchips and put down a few more layers of cardboard
and replace the woodchips.

can you approach the neighbor to see if you can
remove it from the other side of the fence too?

songbird
Old 25-06-2019, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
writes:
I have this weed in my chile patch. It's shown up every year for quite a while and every year it's a
little more invasive than the year before. I can cut it off pretty deep, several inches, and not hit
its roots. I suspect there's a very deep runner or something and it sends up plants from there.
Round-up (desperate here) seems to kill the particular plant but not the entire system and its
mothership. It roughly radiates outward from a point slightly outside my property, on the other side
of our fence.

I've never seen this before its first appearance in my garden. It's a toughie.

https://imgur.com/a/X7O9a3Z

That appears to be a sort of bind weed (broad term) often called
arrow leaf. And I agree it is tough. We have been managing it in
our front bed for several years. Managing, because the root network
is too deep to eracicate.

The thing to understand about RoundUp is that it doesn't kill
anything, immediately. It disrupts root mojo and sends plants into
dormancy.

If the plant has root stores OR a network to juicy brothers, the
effect is limited.

I deal with this constantly with creaping thistle and bermuda grass.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind

Old 25-06-2019, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks Drew. Yep, that looks like it. Seeds viable in soil for twenty years; what a doozy. I remember growing up on the Illinois/Iowa border and the AM radio station my grandparents listened to was in the Spring fueled by ads for seed and herbicide companies and they all mentioned bindweed in their pitch. (Dekalb XL! Dursban!) =8^)

Best