Old 28-06-2019, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default transplant clippings not taking

Hi All,

I am trying to get another Choke Berry (not cherry) to grow
by transferring a clipping from another plant. This is
supposedly how these plants are propagated.

I have been using this rooting compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it does not seem to work. Three failure so far.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Cut, dip, make hole and pour some down the hole too,
stick in hole. Did I miss something?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 28-06-2019, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/27/2019 6:51 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get another Choke Berry (not cherry) to grow
by transferring a clipping from another plant.Â* This is
supposedly how these plants are propagated.

I have been using this rooting compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it does not seem to work.Â* Three failure so far.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Cut, dip, make hole and pour some down the hole too,
stick in hole.Â* Did I miss something?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting
hormone . The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake
excess off . Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ? That lowers
the moisture requirements , cuz remember , ya got no roots to take up
water and nutrients . I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
to help retain moisture .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-06-2019, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/27/2019 6:51 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get another Choke Berry (not cherry) to grow
by transferring a clipping from another plant.Â* This is
supposedly how these plants are propagated.

I have been using this rooting compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it does not seem to work.Â* Three failure so far.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Cut, dip, make hole and pour some down the hole too,
stick in hole.Â* Did I miss something?

Â* Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting
hormone . The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake
excess off . Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ? That lowers
the moisture requirements , cuz remember , ya got no roots to take up
water and nutrients . I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
to help retain moisture .

it also depends upon how the cutting that is trying
to be rooted is treated. it should not be left in
the hot sun or allowed to dry out. it should be kept
moist but not soggy. etc.

songbird
Old 28-06-2019, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/27/19 5:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting hormone .

Tried it both ways.

The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake excess off
. Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ?

I left the leaves on. Should I have removed most of them?

That lowers the moisture
requirements , cuz remember , ya got no roots to take up water and
nutrients .

I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
toÂ*helpÂ*retainÂ*moistureÂ*.

not following. Bag over the rooting compound container?

Also, how long do I wait to water? Maybe I washed the stuff off?

Old 29-06-2019, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/28/2019 2:30 PM, T wrote:
On 6/27/19 5:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting hormone .

Tried it both ways.

The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake excess
off . Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ?

I left the leaves on.Â* Should I have removed most of them?

Â* Yes , all but a couple or 3 . They lose moisture to the airÂ* and the
plant has no way to replace it until it grows some roots .

That lowers the moisture requirements , cuz remember , ya got no
roots to take up water and nutrients .

I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
toÂ*helpÂ*retainÂ*moistureÂ*.

not following.Â* Bag over the rooting compound container?

Â* No , a baggie placed loosely over the pot you use for your new plant
.. Like a little tent .

Also, how long do I wait to water?Â* Maybe I washed the stuff off?

Â* I soak the soil as soon as I plant the new start . After that I water
just enough to keep the soil damp .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-06-2019, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:
On 6/27/19 5:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting hormone .

Tried it both ways.

The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake excess off
. Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ?

I left the leaves on. Should I have removed most of them?

Hard to phrase the balance. You need enough to feed the root growth.
But any more than that demands more water than the cut end can wick.
For me, it is hit and miss. I generally take 4-5 cuttings when I
want 1-2 plants (for woody plants, greens are easier).

That lowers the moisture
requirements , cuz remember , ya got no roots to take up water and
nutrients .

I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
toÂ*helpÂ*retainÂ*moistureÂ*.

not following. Bag over the rooting compound container?

Tent over the plant/cutting. Like a mini-greenhouse.

Also, how long do I wait to water? Maybe I washed the stuff off?

I've never rooted cuttings in the ground. Usually use damp sand
until roots form, and water by soaking from the bottom.

I'd say keep the soil damp, and any watering would be slow/gentle.

--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own
Old 29-06-2019, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/28/19 7:00 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
T writes:
On 6/27/19 5:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Just a guess , but I think you might be using too much rooting hormone .

Tried it both ways.

The instructions on mine (TakeRoot brand) say dip then shake excess off
. Are you clipping almost all the leaves off ?

I left the leaves on. Should I have removed most of them?

Hard to phrase the balance. You need enough to feed the root growth.
But any more than that demands more water than the cut end can wick.
For me, it is hit and miss. I generally take 4-5 cuttings when I
want 1-2 plants (for woody plants, greens are easier).

That lowers the moisture
requirements , cuz remember , ya got no roots to take up water and
nutrients .

I also put a baggie over the container (loosely)
toÂÂ*helpÂÂ*retainÂÂ*moistureÂÂ*.

Old 29-06-2019, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/27/19 4:51 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get another Choke Berry (not cherry) to grow
by transferring a clipping from another plant.Â* This is
supposedly how these plants are propagated.

I have been using this rooting compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it does not seem to work.Â* Three failure so far.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Cut, dip, make hole and pour some down the hole too,
stick in hole.Â* Did I miss something?

Many thanks,
-T

Ooopps. That was suppose to go to rec.gardens.edible.
Please disregard

Old 29-06-2019, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Drew Lawson wrote:
I've never rooted cuttings in the ground. Usually use damp sand
until roots form, and water by soaking from the bottom.

I'd say keep the soil damp, and any watering would be slow/gentle.

yeah, you don't want to wash away the rooting
horemone...

songbird

Old 13-07-2019, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/27/19 4:51 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get another Choke Berry (not cherry) to grow
by transferring a clipping from another plant.Â* This is
supposedly how these plants are propagated.

I have been using this rooting compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it does not seem to work.Â* Three failure so far.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Cut, dip, make hole and pour some down the hole too,
stick in hole.Â* Did I miss something?

Many thanks,
-T

Hi All,

I am trying again.

This time, I cut all the leaves off but three.
Dunked the stem in the rooting compound and only
added a tiny bit to the hole. And only gave it
about 1/4 cups of water so as to not wash off
the compound.

The three leaves are now dead, but it look like it is
trying to sprout new leaves along its stem.

And I am back to watering it normally again.

Time will tell!

Thank you all for the help!
-T

Old 13-07-2019, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
This time, I cut all the leaves off but three.
Dunked the stem in the rooting compound and only
added a tiny bit to the hole. And only gave it
about 1/4 cups of water so as to not wash off
the compound.

you should not need to put any down the hole.
just FYI for future efforts.

The three leaves are now dead, but it look like it is
trying to sprout new leaves along its stem.

when you see new growth that is usually a
good sign that new roots have formed.

one or two leaves is usually enough.

Old 13-07-2019, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/12/19 6:00 PM, songbird wrote:

when you see new growth that is usually a
good sign that new roots have formed.

one or two leaves is usually enough.

This all reminds me of what my brother i law said about
cooking: "Hand me the can; hand me the can opener; I
am a cook!"

When I taught myself to cook seven years ago when I
got diagnosed with T2, Oh boy! What look easy on the
outside really required a lot of learning and skills.
AND I DON'T COOK OUT OF CANS!

Fresh garden produce is to die for! Yum! I am
finally starting to see some results.

Old 14-07-2019, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I've had good luck in the winter by sticking the clippings in coke
bottles kept full with water and placing them in a south facing window.
When roots are noticeable & the weather is warm, stick them in the ground.

Hul

Old 15-07-2019, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/14/19 1:23 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
I've had good luck in the winter by sticking the clippings in coke
bottles kept full with water and placing them in a south facing window.
When roots are noticeable & the weather is warm, stick them in the ground.

Hul

Interesting! Thank you!

Rolawns lawn not taking - been down 4 weeks now roonster United Kingdom 18 26-11-2005 01:57 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 4 17-03-2004 03:41 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 0 15-03-2004 04:58 AM
Sabal Palm planted but not taking off [email protected] Gardening 1 26-11-2003 08:02 PM
Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year) pgh Gardening 3 17-04-2003 02:32 PM