Old 26-07-2019, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default green pine cone question

Hi All,

In my never ending quest to grow a Jeffery pine, I
found a couple of green pine cones that the wind
blew off a Jeffery pine tree. They had both started
to turn brown in spots.

Now I have tried collecting mature pine cones, but the
varmints and wind have always clean out all the seeds. So
I figured I just put the green cones in an open cardboard
box in the garage safely away from varmints and let the
mature.

Your thoughts?

-T
Old 27-07-2019, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 5:45:01 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

In my never ending quest to grow a Jeffery pine, I
found a couple of green pine cones that the wind
blew off a Jeffery pine tree. They had both started
to turn brown in spots.

Now I have tried collecting mature pine cones, but the
varmints and wind have always clean out all the seeds. So
I figured I just put the green cones in an open cardboard
box in the garage safely away from varmints and let the
mature.

Your thoughts?

-T

Maybe you could try burying them in the box with some potting soil and keep moist. I'm not sure if they'll sprout that way but it might be worth a try.. We're at the end of blackberry season here in Maryland, so I'm going to try planting a few to see if they grow.

Paul
Old 27-07-2019, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/19 6:02 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The seeds have to come out of the cone first and the
cone pedals are tighter than a drum.

Oh you know in the wild, varmints harvest the seeds and bury
them for later in the winter, then forget where they buried
them. And with some squirrel cussing, plant future forests.

My Arapaho Blackberry are loving the pampering. All four of
them make it though the winter as 2" transplants from the
vendor. Make I will get some berries this year? Probably not.

The choke berries (not cherries) are also loving the pampering,
but no sign of berries or flowers yet. The are vividly pretty
in the fall when shed their leaves.

The two Bilberries are also loving the pampering and are
rewarding me with a ton of leaves. Fruit next year maybe?

The goji's are looking like a bumper crop. Tiny little eye
pills (they are full of zeaxanthin and the same color as
zeaxanthin too).

-T
Old 27-07-2019, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 9:28:03 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
[...]

I believe that blackberries grow on second year stems.

Paul
Old 27-07-2019, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/19 6:47 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I had a feeling.

Oh now I feel like a vulture waiting for something to die

pine cone question Todd[_2_] Gardening 2 31-05-2014 03:16 PM
pine cone and the right time to pick it john royce United Kingdom 3 08-07-2009 03:54 PM
Pine Cone Ginger Dan Gardening 0 25-05-2004 12:03 PM
Pine Cone Ginger Zemedelec Gardening 1 21-05-2004 12:04 PM
Pine Cone Ginger Dan Lawns 0 20-05-2004 03:07 PM