Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 664
Default Planting lemon seeds


* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !


  #2   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,832
Default Planting lemon seeds

Terry Coombs wrote:

* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .


i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
Default Planting lemon seeds

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 07:46:51 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:


* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .


Easy to get to sprout, it'll take years until they might fruit and,
yes, the fruit produced is a crap shoot.
  #4   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Default Planting lemon seeds

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:09:04 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .


i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?


songbird


JJust poke them in about 1/2 inch. Citrus seeds sprout easily.

Steve
  #5   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2019
Posts: 6
Default Planting lemon seeds

Terry Coombs wrote:


Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .


I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during the
colder months (unless you're in an area that is citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a real
PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years



  #6   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 664
Default Planting lemon seeds

On 7/28/2019 8:08 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?


songbird


* Yes , this/these will be in pots . It's* bit too chilly in the winter
here AFAIK .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

  #7   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 664
Default Planting lemon seeds

On 7/28/2019 8:14 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 07:46:51 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .


Easy to get to sprout, it'll take years until they might fruit and,
yes, the fruit produced is a crap shoot.


* Yeah , I figure 3-5 years before I'll see fruit - if ever . Hmm , I'm
now wondering about the humidity levels here . Very humid summers ,
which I'm pretty sure isn't a problem . But we heat with wood and the
air gets pretty dry in the winter .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

  #8   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
Default Planting lemon seeds

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:35:53 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:


Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .


I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.


I overwinter lots of citrus. Aphids, spider mites, scale, and other
afflictions can take hold during hot, dry heating season indoors.

I have found that keeping the plants in the cool of the basement (near
a light source, of course) helps them make it through. Yes, you lose
some leaves, but the tubbed trees make it.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during the
colder months (unless you're in an area that is citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a real
PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years.


  #9   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 249
Default Planting lemon seeds

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:35:41 AM UTC-4, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:


Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .


I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during the
colder months (unless you're in an area that is citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a real
PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years


My wife has about twenty small, potted citrus trees. We live in Maryland, so they wouldn't survive winter outdoors. Every fall, I drag them all into the greenhouse, then drag them out in the spring. A lot of work, but she enjoys growing unusual lime and lemons that you can't get in the stores.

Paul
  #10   Report Post  
Old 28-07-2019, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 664
Default Planting lemon seeds

On 7/28/2019 8:35 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .

I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during the
colder months (unless you're in an area that is citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a real
PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years


* It'll come indoors when the overnight temps get below 40° or so .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !



  #11   Report Post  
Old 29-07-2019, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2019
Posts: 6
Default Planting lemon seeds

Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:35:53 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:


Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the
fruit they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might
get some decent fruit anyway .


I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon
tree that lived on my back deck during the warmer months.
Never got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck
it into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on
a whim, so I didn't have any special prep materials around
in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost
every year. During the winter months, I had to drag it
into my house to winter over. The last year I did this,
the poor thing got a powdery mildew like substance on the
leaves and finally gave up the ghost.


I overwinter lots of citrus. Aphids, spider mites, scale,
and other afflictions can take hold during hot, dry
heating season indoors.

I have found that keeping the plants in the cool of the
basement (near a light source, of course) helps them make
it through. Yes, you lose some leaves, but the tubbed
trees make it.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during
the colder months (unless you're in an area that is
citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a
real PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years.


No basements around these parts because of the high water
table. It's basically swampland that's been filled in a bit.

My thermostat in the winter is set at 65F, so too much heat
isn't a problem, but dampness can be at times. That and
not enough light coming in where I parked the lemon put.

It lost leaves every winter, but always managed to come
back once spring came and I could move it outside again.
Until that last winter when it was a combination of lost
leaves AND the residual mildew on the stems. sigh

It was such a pretty tree.

Nyssa, who now has a big mutant tomato plant in the same
spot on the deck, but that lemon tree was much nicer

  #12   Report Post  
Old 29-07-2019, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 664
Default Planting lemon seeds

On 7/29/2019 8:05 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:35:53 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the
fruit they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might
get some decent fruit anyway .

I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon
tree that lived on my back deck during the warmer months.
Never got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck
it into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on
a whim, so I didn't have any special prep materials around
in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost
every year. During the winter months, I had to drag it
into my house to winter over. The last year I did this,
the poor thing got a powdery mildew like substance on the
leaves and finally gave up the ghost.

I overwinter lots of citrus. Aphids, spider mites, scale,
and other afflictions can take hold during hot, dry
heating season indoors.

I have found that keeping the plants in the cool of the
basement (near a light source, of course) helps them make
it through. Yes, you lose some leaves, but the tubbed
trees make it.
What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during
the colder months (unless you're in an area that is
citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a
real PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years.

No basements around these parts because of the high water
table. It's basically swampland that's been filled in a bit.

My thermostat in the winter is set at 65F, so too much heat
isn't a problem, but dampness can be at times. That and
not enough light coming in where I parked the lemon put.

It lost leaves every winter, but always managed to come
back once spring came and I could move it outside again.
Until that last winter when it was a combination of lost
leaves AND the residual mildew on the stems. sigh

It was such a pretty tree.

Nyssa, who now has a big mutant tomato plant in the same
spot on the deck, but that lemon tree was much nicer


* Luckily I do have a cellar - and a grow light I can plug in down
there . Hmm , I'll need a timer , and probably something smaller than a
4' fluorescent fixture unless I want to put some other plants down there
too .* It tends to be in the low 50's down there in winter , and more
humid than the living space . On the other hand , what level of humidity
will they tolerate ? We try for minimum 50% RH though at times it gets a
little lower . Other than my spider plants , the house plants don't seem
to mind . One thing we don't worry about is condensation !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

  #13   Report Post  
Old 29-07-2019, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,832
Default Planting lemon seeds

Terry Coombs wrote:
....
* Luckily I do have a cellar - and a grow light I can plug in down
there . Hmm , I'll need a timer , and probably something smaller than a
4' fluorescent fixture unless I want to put some other plants down there
too .* It tends to be in the low 50's down there in winter , and more
humid than the living space . On the other hand , what level of humidity
will they tolerate ? We try for minimum 50% RH though at times it gets a
little lower . Other than my spider plants , the house plants don't seem
to mind . One thing we don't worry about is condensation !


there is a guy who used to grow lemon trees in
the mountains of Germany of all places. he used
strategically placed rocks to absorb and reflect
light along with ponds too (which can reflect light
and help capture heat). i found that very amazing.

also there is some guy in a northern state who
uses ground heat storage to grow citrus in underground
bermed greenhouses.

not that this says much about your particular area
other than it is more likely possible given you are
much further south than either of them...


songbird
  #14   Report Post  
Old 30-07-2019, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 227
Default Planting lemon seeds

On 7/28/2019 8:46 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

I did an orange years ago and got a tree with thorns and no blossoms or
fruit. I don't know if they might be hybrid seeds that do not give the
same plant. Maybe an internet search will give guidance.
  #15   Report Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009
Posts: 108
Default Planting lemon seeds


"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
...

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a seed
will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come from ...
but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .



If nothing else you may end up with root stock that you can graft a known
citrus on to.

20 odd years ago I planted grafted mandarins, which promptly died, however
the root stocks flourished and I now have 2 of the most vicious lemon trees,
with upto 3 inch thorns and no matter now severe I prune them they up and
grow again the next year and always bear fruit


Mike




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
planting lemon tree [email protected] Australia 3 11-01-2006 07:42 PM
Lemon seeds to seedlings: seedless lemons? Chris Gardening 4 03-04-2003 05:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017