Old 28-07-2019, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Planting lemon seeds

Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-07-2019, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?

songbird
Old 28-07-2019, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 07:46:51 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

Easy to get to sprout, it'll take years until they might fruit and,
yes, the fruit produced is a crap shoot.
Old 28-07-2019, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:09:04 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?

songbird

JJust poke them in about 1/2 inch. Citrus seeds sprout easily.

Steve
Old 28-07-2019, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .

I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.

What are you planning on doing with the lemon plant during the
colder months (unless you're in an area that is citrus-friendly)?

Good luck!

Nyssa, who really was proud of that tree, but it was a real
PITA to drag that huge pot around after a few years

Old 28-07-2019, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2019 8:08 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

i don't recall any special way of planting them.
are you keeping it in a container?

songbird

Â* Yes , this/these will be in pots . It'sÂ* bit too chilly in the winter
here AFAIK .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-07-2019, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

Easy to get to sprout, it'll take years until they might fruit and,
yes, the fruit produced is a crap shoot.

Â* Yeah , I figure 3-5 years before I'll see fruit - if ever . Hmm , I'm
now wondering about the humidity levels here . Very humid summers ,
which I'm pretty sure isn't a problem . But we heat with wood and the
air gets pretty dry in the winter .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-07-2019, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:35:53 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's
not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit
they come from ... but hay , ya never know , might get
some decent fruit anyway .

I tried this years ago and got a very attractive lemon tree
that lived on my back deck during the warmer months. Never
got any fruit, but it sure looked pretty.

I didn't do anything special to start the seed; just stuck it
into a four inch pot with seed starting mix. It was on a whim,
so I didn't have any special prep materials around in any case.

I kept having to transplant it into a bigger pot almost every
year. During the winter months, I had to drag it into my
house to winter over. The last year I did this, the poor thing
got a powdery mildew like substance on the leaves and finally
gave up the ghost.

I overwinter lots of citrus. Aphids, spider mites, scale, and other
afflictions can take hold during hot, dry heating season indoors.

I have found that keeping the plants in the cool of the basement (near
a light source, of course) helps them make it through. Yes, you lose
some leaves, but the tubbed trees make it.

Old 28-07-2019, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:35:41 AM UTC-4, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

My wife has about twenty small, potted citrus trees. We live in Maryland, so they wouldn't survive winter outdoors. Every fall, I drag them all into the greenhouse, then drag them out in the spring. A lot of work, but she enjoys growing unusual lime and lemons that you can't get in the stores.

Paul
Old 28-07-2019, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2019 8:35 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* It'll come indoors when the overnight temps get below 40° or so .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-07-2019, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

No basements around these parts because of the high water
table. It's basically swampland that's been filled in a bit.

My thermostat in the winter is set at 65F, so too much heat
isn't a problem, but dampness can be at times. That and
not enough light coming in where I parked the lemon put.

It lost leaves every winter, but always managed to come
back once spring came and I could move it outside again.
Until that last winter when it was a combination of lost
leaves AND the residual mildew on the stems. sigh

It was such a pretty tree.

Nyssa, who now has a big mutant tomato plant in the same
spot on the deck, but that lemon tree was much nicer

Old 29-07-2019, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* Luckily I do have a cellar - and a grow light I can plug in down
there . Hmm , I'll need a timer , and probably something smaller than a
4' fluorescent fixture unless I want to put some other plants down there
too .Â* It tends to be in the low 50's down there in winter , and more
humid than the living space . On the other hand , what level of humidity
will they tolerate ? We try for minimum 50% RH though at times it gets a
little lower . Other than my spider plants , the house plants don't seem
to mind . One thing we don't worry about is condensation !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-07-2019, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Luckily I do have a cellar - and a grow light I can plug in down
there . Hmm , I'll need a timer , and probably something smaller than a
4' fluorescent fixture unless I want to put some other plants down there
too .Â* It tends to be in the low 50's down there in winter , and more
humid than the living space . On the other hand , what level of humidity
will they tolerate ? We try for minimum 50% RH though at times it gets a
little lower . Other than my spider plants , the house plants don't seem
to mind . One thing we don't worry about is condensation !

there is a guy who used to grow lemon trees in
the mountains of Germany of all places. he used
strategically placed rocks to absorb and reflect
light along with ponds too (which can reflect light
and help capture heat). i found that very amazing.

also there is some guy in a northern state who
uses ground heat storage to grow citrus in underground
bermed greenhouses.

not that this says much about your particular area
other than it is more likely possible given you are
much further south than either of them...

songbird
Old 30-07-2019, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2019 8:46 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a
seed will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come
from ... but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

I did an orange years ago and got a tree with thorns and no blossoms or
fruit. I don't know if they might be hybrid seeds that do not give the
same plant. Maybe an internet search will give guidance.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

Any special prep , or just bury 'em ? I know that it's not likely a seed
will produce a tree with fruit identical to the fruit they come from ...
but hay , ya never know , might get some decent fruit anyway .

If nothing else you may end up with root stock that you can graft a known
citrus on to.

20 odd years ago I planted grafted mandarins, which promptly died, however
the root stocks flourished and I now have 2 of the most vicious lemon trees,
with upto 3 inch thorns and no matter now severe I prune them they up and
grow again the next year and always bear fruit

Mike