GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Buttercup Squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/216319-buttercup-squash.html)

Pavel314[_2_] 25-08-2019 09:12 PM

Buttercup Squash

Songbird,

Thanks for recommending buttercup squash last winter. I planted a few this spring and we just had the first one for dinner last night. Very good, the best squash we've had so far. It has a texture like custard, unlike some winter squash which are very fibrous. Dark orange flesh and great flavor.

We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

Paul

songbird[_2_] 26-08-2019 02:02 AM

Buttercup Squash

Pavel314 wrote:
Songbird,

Thanks for recommending buttercup squash last winter. I planted a few this spring and we just had the first one for dinner last night. Very good, the best squash we've had so far. It has a texture like custard, unlike some winter squash which are very fibrous. Dark orange flesh and great flavor.

y.w.! :) glad you liked them. we also grow some kabocha like
squashes which have crossed with the buttercup, both hold up ok
to the squash bugs/borers. that's why we grow them.

We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

we like squash, so hope to hear it is a good one. :)

cheers, back to getting the tomatoes done we picked today...

songbird

songbird[_2_] 24-01-2020 04:08 AM

Buttercup Squash

Pavel314 wrote:
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

how were these?

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 24-01-2020 07:32 PM

Buttercup Squash

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 10:08:44 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

how were these?

songbird

The Tokyo Blue were very similar to the Buttercup in taste and texture. The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-green than true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercup produced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the coming garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.

Paul

songbird[_2_] 25-01-2020 08:49 PM

Buttercup Squash

Pavel314 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

how were these?

The Tokyo Blue were very similar to the Buttercup in taste and texture. The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-green than true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercup produced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the coming garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the
year about what i want to do this coming planting season.

have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 26-01-2020 04:03 PM

Buttercup Squash

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review when we try some.

how were these?

The Tokyo Blue were very similar to the Buttercup in taste and texture. The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-green than true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercup produced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the coming garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the
year about what i want to do this coming planting season.

have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?

songbird

Not yet but I told my wife about them and she ordered some seeds for this year.

Paul

songbird[_2_] 26-01-2020 06:33 PM

Buttercup Squash

Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the
year about what i want to do this coming planting season.

have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?

Not yet but I told my wife about them and she ordered some seeds for this year.

if i can find some seeds i'll give 'em a try.

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 27-01-2020 04:53 AM

Buttercup Squash

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 12:52:08 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the
year about what i want to do this coming planting season.

have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?

Not yet but I told my wife about them and she ordered some seeds for this year.

if i can find some seeds i'll give 'em a try.

songbird

I found some for sale on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N940NG0XBT16ND

Paul

Drew Lawson[_2_] 27-01-2020 08:48 PM

Buttercup Squash

In article
songbird writes:

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the
year about what i want to do this coming planting season.

Likewise. I got my seed order in the mail last week, and I'm itching
to get started.

I'll be planting teh tomato seeds in 2-4 weeks.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have