Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Just some garden talk

Hi All,

Well, since doing this for eight years or so, this is
the first time I have feral tomato plants growing
in my garden. I noticed after it got hot in August,
they popped up. I presume they are sweet 100's, but
I only have one small green tomato so far. I am
dying of curiosity.

Hmmmm. Hot and August for them to pop up. This would be why
purchasing them from a green house is so popular.

On the California (Anaheim) pepper front, last year a got
about ten. Max was about three inches. This year, I have
a bumper crop. And big ones too!

https://ibb.co/mSkzKph
The tiles are six inch squares.

I made chili and crispy Ratatouille out of them.

Chili:

1 bottle of organic tomatoes (Italy). (Canned tomatoes
are an abomination)
2 large California chili peppers diced (mine)
2 lb grass fed hamburger (down the street)
a bunch of onions pulled green, stems and all (mine).
diced t about a cup and a half
garlic diced, about five small cloves (mine)
Oregano flakes (grocery store)

You simmer down the tomatoes and peppers by themselves
before adding the rest of the ingredients.,

Yum!!!!

And I found I like raw zucchini with my home made blue
cheese dressing (let me know if anyone wants the recipe).

And it looks like I am starting to get some roots on
my Choke Berry clipping. And right where I cut off
the leaves, as Songbird predicted.

And I have a jungle of Sweet 100's that taste like
candy. Tried growing other cherries, but they take to
long to harvest (zone 6c is really short), have
low yields, and to be quite frank, they don't taste
all that nice either. This year only sweet 100's.
I RESISTED TEMPTATION !!!

Life is good!

:-)

-T
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/2019 7:22 PM, T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

Â* Try those Anaheims stuffed with either cheese or meat/rice , battered
and fried . Look up "chili rellenos" for some ideas - the beaten egg
white coatings suck IMO , I prefer a cornmeal/flour/egg batter .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/19 7:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/3/2019 7:22 PM, T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

Â* Try those Anaheims stuffed with either cheese or meat/rice , battered
and fried . Look up "chili rellenos" for some ideas - the beaten egg
white coatings suck IMO , I prefer a cornmeal/flour/egg batter .

OH MAN !!!! I gotta try this!!

I will have to use coconut flour due to the diabetes.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 10:28:22 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/3/2019 7:22 PM, T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

Â* Try those Anaheims stuffed with either cheese or meat/rice , battered
and fried . Look up "chili rellenos" for some ideas - the beaten egg
white coatings suck IMO , I prefer a cornmeal/flour/egg batter .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

We're going to try meat/barley instead of the usual meat/rice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul

Old 04-09-2019, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

yay! i'm glad things finally worked out for
those. good peppers are heaven on earth.

if you have more than you can eat, they are good
if you roast them on a pan in the oven and then you
can pack them in pint jars and freeze (i don't like
plastic so i don't like freezer bags or other plastic
containers). make sure to leave about an inch and a
half of head space so there is room to expand during
freezing.

roasting will reduce the volume by about half but
it makes them so sweet and i like the bit of char on
them. i don't bother peeling them after they are
roasted, but some people do. i just chew 'em... a
bit of extra fiber doesn't hurt.

roasting them on the grill would be good, but we
don't have a grill here...

songbird
Old 04-09-2019, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Well, since doing this for eight years or so, this is
the first time I have feral tomato plants growing
in my garden. I noticed after it got hot in August,
they popped up. I presume they are sweet 100's, but
I only have one small green tomato so far. I am
dying of curiosity.

Hmmmm. Hot and August for them to pop up. This would be why
purchasing them from a green house is so popular.

yeah, unless you have a near semi-tropical season
it can be hard to get much off feral tomatoes. around
here it happens once in a while, but i normally just
turn them into worm food as i don't want yet more
plants to weed around or interfering with the neighboring
plants.

On the California (Anaheim) pepper front, last year a got
about ten. Max was about three inches. This year, I have
a bumper crop. And big ones too!

https://ibb.co/mSkzKph
The tiles are six inch squares.

look great!

I made chili and crispy Ratatouille out of them.

Chili:

1 bottle of organic tomatoes (Italy). (Canned tomatoes
are an abomination)
2 large California chili peppers diced (mine)
2 lb grass fed hamburger (down the street)
a bunch of onions pulled green, stems and all (mine).
diced t about a cup and a half
garlic diced, about five small cloves (mine)
Oregano flakes (grocery store)

You simmer down the tomatoes and peppers by themselves
before adding the rest of the ingredients.,

Yum!!!!

i have never put oregano into chili.

And I found I like raw zucchini with my home made blue
cheese dressing (let me know if anyone wants the recipe).

i have eaten it plain like cucumbers before but
we don't grow it here as we have way too many
cucumbers to contend with as it is.

i think we've hauled about 800lbs of cucumbers in
so far this season. and that is a very conservative
guesstimate. we have to pick again today along with
the tomatoes.

And it looks like I am starting to get some roots on
my Choke Berry clipping. And right where I cut off
the leaves, as Songbird predicted.

is it in water or in potting soil?

And I have a jungle of Sweet 100's that taste like
candy. Tried growing other cherries, but they take to
long to harvest (zone 6c is really short), have
low yields, and to be quite frank, they don't taste
all that nice either. This year only sweet 100's.
I RESISTED TEMPTATION !!!

i've liked the yellow ones we've grown here before
but no cherry tomatoes this season. just the beefsteaks.

Life is good!

:-)

songbird
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/4/19 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

i have never put oregano into chili.

It is a substitute for cumin. The wife has
a two step allergy (two steps and you're dead)
to members of the coriander family (cumin,
cilantro, etc.) It is scary.

And it looks like I am starting to get some roots on
my Choke Berry clipping. And right where I cut off
the leaves, as Songbird predicted.

is it in water or in potting soil?

In a water bottle. I was wondering if I should add anything to
the water other than the original growth hormone I added

i've liked the yellow ones we've grown here before
but no cherry tomatoes this season. just the beefsteaks.

I can't grow big tomatoes as I can not
afford a back hole to come in and dig me
a 6 foot deep and wide and back fill with
top soil. Every time I have tried, I wind
up with blossom rot. The lady at the university
extension explained the matter to me, so I have
stuck with cherries, which I am very successful at.

:-)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/4/2019 7:38 PM, T wrote:
On 9/4/19 6:35 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

Â*Â* i have never put oregano into chili.Â*

It is a substitute for cumin.Â* The wife has
a two step allergy (two steps and you're dead)
to members of the coriander family (cumin,
cilantro, etc.)Â* It is scary.

And it looks like I am starting to get some roots on
my Choke Berry clipping.Â* And right where I cut off
the leaves, as Songbird predicted.

Â*Â* is it in water or in potting soil?

In a water bottle.Â* I was wondering if I should add anything to
the water other than the original growth hormone I added

Â*Â* i've liked the yellow ones we've grown here before
but no cherry tomatoes this season.Â* just the beefsteaks.

I can't grow big tomatoes as I can not
afford a back hole to come in and dig me
a 6 foot deep and wide and back fill with
top soil.Â* Every time I have tried, I wind
up with blossom rot.Â* The lady at the university
extension explained the matter to me, so I have
stuck with cherries, which I am very successful at.

:-)

Thought it was fungus that required basically fresh land to avoid and
blossom end rot was just calcium deficiency. I've dealt with both.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/4/19 4:44 PM, Frank wrote:
Thought it was fungus that required basically fresh land to avoid and
blossomÂ*endÂ*rotÂ*wasÂ*justÂ*calciumÂ*deficiency. Â*Â*I'veÂ*dealtÂ*withÂ*both.

My understanding was that blossom rot happened when the roots
did not have enough room to spread out (6') and could not
consistently suck up enough water and I cold not water them
five times a day.

Disclaimer: I have a black thumb. My advice is probably
pretty bad.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I can't grow big tomatoes as I can not
afford a back hole to come in and dig me
a 6 foot deep and wide and back fill with
top soil. Every time I have tried, I wind
up with blossom rot. The lady at the university
extension explained the matter to me, so I have
stuck with cherries, which I am very successful at.

My wife makes barrows, long hills of compost and topsoil to grow things in. Instead of digging down, she builds up. I do have a backhoe so I could dig deep trenches, but we don't find that necessary.

Paul
Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
blossom end rot was just calcium deficiency. I've dealt with both.

BER is a calcium deficiency, but why any plant
can have that happen can be caused by more than one
factor.

some years we have it on some of the early fruits
and not many after.

not this year, the slow cloudy month with gobs of
rain we had to start the season must have given the
plants enough time to get enough root growth done.

we had huge fruits (many over 2lbs each), but i
didn't consider them to be very good quality.

i spent a lot of time today, after picking six
buckets i would normally expect between 40-50
quarts from that but ended up with 22 and 1/2.

considering a lot of people had a hard time getting
any at all we're happy with what we had this season
but also glad we're done canning.

songbird
Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/4/19 6:32 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I can't grow big tomatoes as I can not
afford a back hole to come in and dig me
a 6 foot deep and wide and back fill with
top soil. Every time I have tried, I wind
up with blossom rot. The lady at the university
extension explained the matter to me, so I have
stuck with cherries, which I am very successful at.

My wife makes barrows, long hills of compost and topsoil to grow things in. Instead of digging down, she builds up. I do have a backhoe so I could dig deep trenches, but we don't find that necessary.

Paul

I go slightly under surface level so I can water
with the wand and have the water only go where
I want it. If it runs off, the weeds love it
Old 05-09-2019, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/4/19 6:32 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I can't grow big tomatoes as I can not
afford a back hole to come in and dig me
a 6 foot deep and wide and back fill with
top soil. Every time I have tried, I wind
up with blossom rot. The lady at the university
extension explained the matter to me, so I have
stuck with cherries, which I am very successful at.

My wife makes barrows, long hills of compost and topsoil to grow things in. Instead of digging down, she builds up. I do have a backhoe so I could dig deep trenches, but we don't find that necessary.

Paul

One of my customers has horses and a backhoe. Every spring
he empties his stables into his garden and backhoe it under.
On my gosh what he can grow!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/2019 7:22 PM, T wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:11 PM, T wrote:
OnÂ*theÂ*CaliforniaÂ*(Anaheim)Â*pepperÂ*front,Â*la stÂ*yearÂ*aÂ*got
aboutÂ*ten.Â*Â*MaxÂ*wasÂ*aboutÂ*threeÂ*inches.Â*Â* ThisÂ*year,Â*IÂ*have
aÂ*bumperÂ*crop.Â*Â*AndÂ*bigÂ*onesÂ*too!

You should taste the scrambled eggs I make with these
peppers too!

Â* Try those Anaheims stuffed with either cheese or meat/rice , battered
and fried . Look up "chili rellenos" for some ideas - the beaten egg
white coatings suck IMO , I prefer a cornmeal/flour/egg batter .

Not to ask to stupid a question, but how do you keep the
cheese from melting/draining out of the chili?