Old 26-09-2019, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default berry bush pruning question

Hi All,

My four Goji berry plants are getting to look a bit shaggy.

I have noticed that the new growth has berries that
are three to four times as large as the old grow.

When the bushes go deciduous in the winder, would pruning
them be a good idea? And are there any special methods
to follow when pruning?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 26-09-2019, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 10:17:14 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

My four Goji berry plants are getting to look a bit shaggy.

I have noticed that the new growth has berries that
are three to four times as large as the old grow.

When the bushes go deciduous in the winder, would pruning
them be a good idea? And are there any special methods
to follow when pruning?

Many thanks,
-T

Not sure about Goji plants but my blackberries only bear on two-year-old stalks. Same with grapes and apples.

Paul
Old 28-09-2019, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/25/19 7:21 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 10:17:14 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

My four Goji berry plants are getting to look a bit shaggy.

I have noticed that the new growth has berries that
are three to four times as large as the old grow.

When the bushes go deciduous in the winder, would pruning
them be a good idea? And are there any special methods
to follow when pruning?

Many thanks,
-T

Not sure about Goji plants but my blackberries only bear on two-year-old stalks. Same with grapes and apples.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you!

My Goji are first year fruiters. (What??? Not a
real word?? I can sure tell you don't work for
marketing!)

Oh your two year fruiters, if you cut back a branch
and it regrows, does the regrowth wait another two
years or does it fruit right away because it was part
of a two year branch?

-T

Old 28-09-2019, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, September 27, 2019 at 8:32:41 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
[...]

I've never tried that as an experiment and noted the results, but my guess is that what grows back would be new wood and take two years to fruit. When I give my small vineyard a severe pruning, we get a lot of growth the next year but very few grapes.

Paul
Old 28-09-2019, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Your statement is clearly understandable, so it seems like real word because it works to get your idea across. Example: My wife made a big pot of chili for dinner Wednesday so we had a lot left over. Last night she added the necessary spices and served it over spaghetti as Cincinnati chili. I remarked that she had "cincinnatified" the leftovers. She asked if that was a real word and I said that it was now.

Oh your two year fruiters, if you cut back a branch
and it regrows, does the regrowth wait another two
years or does it fruit right away because it was part
of a two year branch?

I've never tried that as a closely observed experiment and noted the results, but my guess is that what grows back would be new wood and take two years to fruit. When I give my small vineyard a severe pruning, we get a lot of growth the next year but very few grapes.

Paul

-T

Old 30-09-2019, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

My grape vine, which is grown mainly to provide cover for the patio, fruits
only on 2nd year wood, that is to say it fruits on wood that was new growth
last year. Something that is so obvious when I am sitting out looking up at
the vine is also something that I can see being misconstrued just as easily.

Mike