Old 29-09-2019, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Green mulch

Â* My wife has seen others do this , and has suggested I try it . I'm
looking for suggestions for something to plant this fall with the
intention of turning it under in the spring . I'm currently taking some
time to pre-prep the garden for next year - the purchase of a rear tine
tiller has affected my decision . The only thing concrete is where the
strawberries will be - they ain't movin' . Everything else will be
turned under and planted with something , except a small patch which
will be planted in garlic . The current wire trellis (for beans) will be
pulled out and relocated - if I use it at all next year .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-09-2019, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 7:14:32 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* My wife has seen others do this , and has suggested I try it . I'm
looking for suggestions for something to plant this fall with the
intention of turning it under in the spring . I'm currently taking some
time to pre-prep the garden for next year - the purchase of a rear tine
tiller has affected my decision . The only thing concrete is where the
strawberries will be - they ain't movin' . Everything else will be
turned under and planted with something , except a small patch which
will be planted in garlic . The current wire trellis (for beans) will be
pulled out and relocated - if I use it at all next year .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Doesn't clover fix the nitrogen in the soil? Could be a good turn-under planting.

Paul
Old 29-09-2019, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 7:14:32 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* My wife has seen others do this , and has suggested I try it . I'm
looking for suggestions for something to plant this fall with the
intention of turning it under in the spring . I'm currently taking some
time to pre-prep the garden for next year - the purchase of a rear tine
tiller has affected my decision . The only thing concrete is where the
strawberries will be - they ain't movin' . Everything else will be
turned under and planted with something , except a small patch which
will be planted in garlic . The current wire trellis (for beans) will be
pulled out and relocated - if I use it at all next year .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Most folks here (western NC) plant winter rye this time of year, then mow it and turn it under in the spring.