Old 21-10-2019, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default a few more nice days :)

felt good to be outside with some sunshine and it
warm enough to raise a sweat when digging and mixing
some wood ashes in a garden so i can get some garlic
planted in there this week.

after that i got back to the ditch/pallet project
and finished getting that ready for the drain tubes
i will pull out of another garden. one project
always is a chain reaction around here... i
still have a lot of pallets to deal with, but for
the moment they are not in the way. the large
chunks of concrete i have some nice slabs i can use
for yet another project (next year).

we did get some peppers picked the other day
even if we did have a few hard frosts they were
protected enough by the foliage to not suffer too
much damage. i think those will be turned into
some chili eventually.

tomorrow a good chance of rain so i may either
be breaking up garlic and planting, washing windows
or sorting beans or cleaning up some inside. this
time of the year i'm usually putting off all cleaning
i can because the dust/dirt from beaning, but i
better make a small effort to get some of it off
the floor before i start to hear grumbles from the
management. haha... i'm surprised she hasn't
mentioned it yet actually, when it gets to dust-
bunny stage it begins to bother even me.

just a few beans here or there left to pick as
the hard frosts did finally stop even the plants
i was thinking might have some more tolerance for
frost. well, at least that answered that question.

i hope everyone is having a nice fall season and
able to get ready for the cooler weather.

songbird
Old 21-10-2019, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 9:41:31 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
[...]

Our overnight temperature dipped into the upper 30's the other night with frost warnings, so I brought all the citrus trees into the greenhouse and my wife took cuttings from the coleus plants out back. The frost didn't get this far south; our temperatures are more moderate this time of year because we're only a few miles in from the Chesapeake Bay, which is still relatively warm.

We finally got some rain after a long dry spell. Looks like on-and-off showers for the next few weeks so I'll have to do any outdoor work on the dry days.

Paul
Old 22-10-2019, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
Our overnight temperature dipped into the upper 30's the other night with frost warnings, so I brought all the citrus trees into the greenhouse and my wife took cuttings from the coleus plants out back. The frost didn't get this far south; our temperatures are more moderate this time of year because we're only a few miles in from the Chesapeake Bay, which is still relatively warm.

that would be nice to even have a greenhouse but for
us here it would cost so much to keep it warm enough
that the most i could see it being used for would be
a few week season extender on each end and i'm just
not looking for any more work by the time the season is
done i'm ready for it to be done.

We finally got some rain after a long dry spell. Looks like on-and-off showers for the next few weeks so I'll have to do any outdoor work on the dry days.

it has been fairly wet here this entire season. if we
get three days in a row without rain that has been unusual.

i did get the garlic planted this morning after breaking
up the bulbs i had. i also shipped a box off to a place
that will grow it for distribution to others so i'm hoping
they'll be successful in getting it out there. it's a
strong garlic that stands up to the cold here without
having to baby it at all. even does ok in our mostly clay
amended garden soils if i perch it a bit.

songbird