GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can i make a mess or what? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/216491-can-i-make-mess-what.html)

songbird[_2_] 10-11-2019 06:17 PM

can i make a mess or what?

project i've been trying to get done this fall, weather
has not been cooperating...

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...roject_thm.jpg

another project i did get done (cleaning up this garden
and while we were at it we put in The Road to No Wear) this
past summer.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...n_RTNW_thm.jpg

songbird

T[_4_] 12-11-2019 11:12 AM

can i make a mess or what?

On 11/10/19 10:17 AM, songbird wrote:
project i've been trying to get done this fall, weather
has not been cooperating...

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...roject_thm.jpg

Looks good to me. What is it going to eventually become?

another project i did get done (cleaning up this garden
and while we were at it we put in The Road to No Wear) this
past summer.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...n_RTNW_thm.jpg

All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

How do you keep grass seeds out of your garden?
I don't eve have a lawn, and I can't keep them out!

songbird[_2_] 12-11-2019 01:53 PM

can i make a mess or what?

T wrote:
On 11/10/19 10:17 AM, songbird wrote:
project i've been trying to get done this fall, weather
has not been cooperating...

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...roject_thm.jpg

Looks good to me. What is it going to eventually become?

once i get the drain tubes down then i'm filling that
trench back in and we'll top it with the limestone. i
wanted to reclaim some space by shifting the existing
limestone over but was overruled on that.

it was getting too dangerous with those pallets rotting.
rusty nails all over and if you walked on them you'd fall
through.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...g_View_thm.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...ar_End_thm.jpg

the end of that ditch used to be open to the bigger
drainage ditch and so the animals/critters would use
it as a highway to get up into the gardens. so i
finally plugged up the end with a bunch of rocks and
rubble and also fenced it so nothing will get through
there easily. before i did that i put down a chunk of
drain tube so i have an extra run through for when we
get heavy rains.

the drain tubes and pea gravel are being pulled out
of an existing garden:

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...ng_Out_thm.jpg

originally this garden was supposed to be bigger so
i'll finally be leveling it off and will have more room
for more garden veggies. :)

another project i did get done (cleaning up this garden
and while we were at it we put in The Road to No Wear) this
past summer.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...n_RTNW_thm.jpg

All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

that's only one of them:

http://www.anthive.com/img/up-high/Way_Up_2017.jpg

there's been a lot of changes since that picture... :)
always stuff to do. i've been combining gardens and also
expanding others or reclaiming them and getting rid of
pathways. it is much easier for me to take care of a
larger garden (fewer edges more flexibility in planting).

How do you keep grass seeds out of your garden?
I don't eve have a lawn, and I can't keep them out!

we don't have much lawn left either and i'd be
quite happy to turn that into gardens.

along the edges have a good border that you can
scrape with a stirrup hoe once in a while. gardens
will never be free of weeds but the better your
edges are and the more space you have between any
grassy seed source areas and the neigboring gardens
will help.

the wind and water flows will move seeds around
but anything that sprouts gets scraped by the stirrup
hoe and ends up as worm food.

keeping areas covered with cardboard will help keep
weeds from sprouting. put down a few layers and hold
it down with a few rocks you won't have much growing
there for a year or two and when it starts getting
weedy again just put down another few layers over
the existing stuff. it's a pretty quick way of
dealing with almost any weeds/grasses.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 12-11-2019 06:17 PM

can i make a mess or what?

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

another project i did get done (cleaning up this garden
and while we were at it we put in The Road to No Wear) this
past summer.

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...n_RTNW_thm.jpg

All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

How do you keep grass seeds out of your garden?
I don't eve have a lawn, and I can't keep them out!

i forgot to mention it, but a lot of the clean up of
that garden involved moving a lot of daffodil and crocus
bulbs and other plants out of the middle section so that
it is a lot easier to clear of weeds when i do need to
scrape it.

now i can scrape the whole garden in 2-3 hours. i have
to do some fine weeding in the thyme along the edges but
i'm quite happy to do it. i get out a ground pillow and
sit there and enjoy the day. once it is fully established
it is a pretty good ground cover, but you do have to keep
the weeds out of it since it is such a low growing plant.

the bottom part where we put the bricks in used to be a
low area full of creeping jenny but it was too hard to
keep weed free so we put a few layers of cardboard over
it and then some weed barrier fabric so i don't have any
weeds trying to come up between those bricks for a few
years. there wasn't much prep work done to put those
bricks down so it won't be even. we just needed a spot
to put them. before i'd spend 5-10hrs to weed that
bottom part by hand several times a season. i'd rather
put that time into other things so now it is smothered
until we decide to change it again. :)

songbird

T[_4_] 12-11-2019 10:49 PM

can i make a mess or what?

On 11/12/19 5:53 AM, songbird wrote:
All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

that's only one of them:

http://www.anthive.com/img/up-high/Way_Up_2017.jpg

YIKES !!!! You maintain that all by yourself!!!!

DUUUUUUDE you are the man!!!

songbird[_2_] 13-11-2019 01:44 AM

can i make a mess or what?

T wrote:
On 11/12/19 5:53 AM, songbird wrote:

All of that is your garden My back hurts in
sympathy with yours!

that's only one of them:

http://www.anthive.com/img/up-high/Way_Up_2017.jpg

YIKES !!!! You maintain that all by yourself!!!!

DUUUUUUDE you are the man!!!

there's two of us. one of us likes doing things the
easy way and the other person does things the hard way -
somehow we manage to get most things done eventually. :)

songbird