Old 24-11-2019, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cabbage

Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B
Old 24-11-2019, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:39:57 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

No, the only problem I've had is with cabbage moth worms. They will wipe out a plant in days. Fortunately, Bt will solve the problem with regular applications.
Old 24-11-2019, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

if you don't like turnips why would you grow cabbage?

bok choi may work if cabbage does not.

like the other poster said, cabbage worms can be a
real PITA, but you can cover the plants in a net and
keep them off that ways.

we grew cabbages once and they did well other than
the bugs that ate them all the time - even when i was
picking worms off every day and the wasps/hornets were
doing their patrols they were still not able to keep
up with the number of eggs being laid on them. we
still did get a harvest but it wasn't worth it to us
and i've not grown them since.

Bt is a bacteria which is poisonous when ingested
by bugs.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/bt.html

songbird
Old 24-11-2019, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2019-11-24 04:26, wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:39:57 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

No, the only problem I've had is with cabbage moth worms. They will wipe out a plant in days. Fortunately, Bt will solve the problem with regular applications.

what is Bt?

Bacillis thuringensis (spelling?), I used to buy it under the trade name Dipel.

Old 24-11-2019, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2019-11-24 04:26,
wrote:
Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

No, the only problem I've had is with cabbage moth
worms. They will wipe out a plant in days. Fortunately,
Bt will solve the problem with regular applications.

what is Bt?

Bacillis thuringensis (spelling?), I used to buy it under
the trade name Dipel.

Thuracide is another trade name for BT. It comes concentrated,
so you just use a tablespoon or two mixed with water, then
spray it on the plants as needed.

It's harmless to humans and pets, can be used up until the
day before harvest, and also can be useful to use on other
leafy plants that can be attacked by chewing insects.

I've grown several types of cabbage in the past and this
stuff has worked fine for me. I've used it on broccoli too,
but you've really got to reapply the stuff often, especially
after a rain.

Songbird mentioned bok choy. I've grown several varieties of
various sizes, and a couple that really are nice are Extra
Dwarf Bok Choy which only grows a couple of inches and has
a short growing period and Dwarf Bok Choy that grows to between
four and six inches tall and is closer to a useful size for
my use. The regular bok choys all grow much larger and it's
impossible to use it up before it goes bad.

It's tasty raw in salads and I use it mostly in stir fries.

Too much information?

Nyssa, who thinks she just hit on a new topic for her website

Old 25-11-2019, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2019-11-24 05:16, songbird wrote:
if you don't like turnips why would you grow cabbage?

Hi Songbird,

I LOVE cabbage, not the flavor free blue type.

I CAN'T STAND turnips. YUK! YUK! YUK!

Speaking of turnips, Burpee is bragging about there new
variety: Silky Sweet

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tu...rod500775.html

Hmmmm: a sweet turnip. I would probably hurl.

bok choi may work if cabbage does not.

Chinese cabbage. 1 cup: glycemic load of 1. Perfect.
I am not finding the actual carbs as folk are doing that
fraudulant "net carb" garbage on it, but if it is
similar to regular cabbage, it woud be around 5 grams
per cup, which is also perfect.

I have to get some at the store and see how
it tastes.

Do these annoying pests go after Chinese cabbage too?

Old 25-11-2019, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2019-11-24 05:16, songbird wrote:
if you don't like turnips why would you grow cabbage?

Hi Songbird,

I LOVE cabbage, not the flavor free blue type.

I CAN'T STAND turnips. YUK! YUK! YUK!

Speaking of turnips, Burpee is bragging about there new
variety: Silky Sweet

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tu...-sweet-hybrid-

prod500775.html

Hmmmm: a sweet turnip. I would probably hurl.

bok choi may work if cabbage does not.

Chinese cabbage. 1 cup: glycemic load of 1. Perfect.
I am not finding the actual carbs as folk are doing that
fraudulant "net carb" garbage on it, but if it is
similar to regular cabbage, it woud be around 5 grams
per cup, which is also perfect.

I have to get some at the store and see how
it tastes.

Do these annoying pests go after Chinese cabbage too?

If you like Chinese cabbage, you might want to take a look
at a variety called Vitamina. It's fast-growing and loves
cool weather.

It's an upright-growing napa cabbage type I found at
Kitazawa seeds.

Nyssa, who would grow it more often if her neighbors would
help eat some of it, but they don't care much for Asian
vegetables
Old 26-11-2019, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

On 2019-11-24 05:16, songbird wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I will look at Burpee -- no have. Rats.

I can't get anything I get from Kitazawa to germinate.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2019-11-24 04:26,
wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:39:57 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
Is cabbage hard to grow?

Zone 6B

No, the only problem I've had is with cabbage moth worms. They will
wipe out a plant in days. Fortunately, Bt will solve the problem
with regular applications.

what is Bt?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Bt is a biological agent (not a chemical poison) that is
widely
used in "organic" gardens.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Bt {Bacilllus thuringiensis (k)} is an organism that when eaten by
them kills ANY lepidotera—even the pretty ones—in its soft body instar
(caterpillars and "worms") by stopping its digestive system from
working.Â* Widely available in a liquid concentrate and in a powder.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Bt (i)) is effective exclusively on most mosquito species and is
generally available as bouyant "dunks", which may be floated on standing
water to eliminate larvae, and is less widely available in a granular
form.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Bt is highly selective, short lived, and affects only a very small
universe of crawlies.Â* It is harmless to other insects, including ants,
wasps and bees, to reptiles and to mammals.

Fascinating!

They got one for squash bugs?

Â* No , but diatomaceous earth works well on them . Kinda like rolling
in a bag full of razor blades to an insect with a waxy carapace , the
sharp edges abrade the waxy coating and they dry to death .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 09-12-2019, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

On 2019-11-24 05:16, songbird wrote:
[...]

With enough Chinese/Napa cabbage you have the makings of pots and pots of
KimChi.

Mike

Old 10-12-2019, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

T wrote:

On 2019-11-24 05:16, songbird wrote:
[...]

Kim chi is something I avoid. The smell of the stuff was
everywhere when I was in South Korea, especially in the
public washrooms.

I did have a Korean programmer on my team who loved homemade
kim chi. She said she and her husband liked it more than
a good steak.

Different strokes.

Nyssa, who still has a couple of pots outside growing small
lettuce and onions despite a few frost-filled nights