Old 10-02-2020, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New Winter Garden Experiment

I made a tunnel garden; my wife is going to plant seeds in it in late February or early March. The whole thing is about 22 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 20 inches high. Hopefully, the wind won't blow this away as it did last year with the much smaller, but similar in concept, hoop garden she purchased..

First, I made a row of seven hoops of flexible plastic water pipe, mounted on rebar pounded into the ground.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/pavel3...b-9ca0fcd28393

Then I covered it with translucent plastic sheeting, held on with the white clips shown in this pictu

https://app.photobucket.com/u/pavel3...0-6ed0bc37ee7d

The instructions said to use the cloudy, translucent sheeting as opposed to clear, transparent plastic, as it will diffuse the light better. I put the sheeting on during a sunny morning and it does let a lot of light through.

Paul
Old 11-02-2020, 09:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

some dirt or sand on the exposed edges laying on the ground might help stop
the wind getting under the cloche and taking it away. AND that's a sure way
to warm the earth under neat is for early starts.

Good luck

Old 11-02-2020, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 3:08:32 AM UTC-5, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I plan to weight the loose edges but haven't gotten around to it yet; still a work in progress. I'll report back how it all works out.