GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bent Fence Posts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/216776-bent-fence-posts.html)

Pavel314[_2_] 21-03-2020 09:26 PM

Bent Fence Posts

I use the T-bar metal fence posts around our place. I have several which are bent; I've tried to straighten them out with hammer and vise, but they're made of a springy steel that is holding the bent shape. I was thinking of heating the bent section to kill the temper and then hammer it, but was wondering if anyone had any clever tricks to straighten them out.

Paul

Terry Coombs 21-03-2020 10:35 PM

Bent Fence Posts

On 3/21/2020 3:26 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I use the T-bar metal fence posts around our place. I have several which are bent; I've tried to straighten them out with hammer and vise, but they're made of a springy steel that is holding the bent shape. I was thinking of heating the bent section to kill the temper and then hammer it, but was wondering if anyone had any clever tricks to straighten them out.

Paul

Â* Over-bend them on a press or by other means in the opposite direction
of the unwanted bend . Hammerin' on them is just a waste of energy .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old