Old 24-03-2020, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default getting to a bean picture

well with all the stuff going on here (family and otherwise)
i've not been able to get as much time on the bean picture
setup and testing things out until recently.

i finally got a rig set up last week so i can get pictures
taken without me shaking them or them not being quite right.

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...82_Rig_thm.jpg

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp..._Mount_thm.jpg

then to start working on the lighting (which is next):

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp..._There_thm.jpg

if you look at that picture closely (or look at the following
picture for even more detail) you might be able to figure out
which of the beans in the picture is 1/2 of parent line. i'm
not sure what the other parent might be.

can you guess?

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

i had to take some side tracks through a few things to get to
where i am at now, but at least making progress.

songbird
Old 25-03-2020, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

Old 25-03-2020, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

thank you!

i have a ways to go with the picture taking, i don't
want the glare from the flash. still working on that
yet.

the rig is nice because i can get right down there
with the camera with the macro zoom lens. helps to
take a good picture when you aren't shaking the camera
all over the place.

looks like a nice day this afternoon so i'll be able
to get some gardening done today.

songbird
Old 25-03-2020, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

thank you!

i have a ways to go with the picture taking, i don't
want the glare from the flash. still working on that
yet.

the rig is nice because i can get right down there
with the camera with the macro zoom lens. helps to
take a good picture when you aren't shaking the camera
all over the place.

looks like a nice day this afternoon so i'll be able
to get some gardening done today.

songbird

I have a customer who takes unbelievable surreal
photographs. She told me two tips:

1) close ups always look better then telephoto
pictures even though they may come out the
same size.

2) do not center the picture. Instead cut the shot into 3 vertical
pieces and center on the lines between the pieces.

Here is an example of both the above that I took that
she liked:

https://ibb.co/kmW0XfH

Note that it is a close up and the flowers are centered
on the 2/3 line

Old 26-03-2020, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

thank you!

i have a ways to go with the picture taking, i don't
want the glare from the flash. still working on that
yet.

I've found that if you angle the camera a bit instead of taking the picture with the subject directly in front of the camera, the reflection from the flash goes off in the other direction instead of bouncing back into the picture.

Paul

Old 26-03-2020, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

thank you!

i have a ways to go with the picture taking, i don't
want the glare from the flash. still working on that
yet.

I've found that if you angle the camera a bit instead of taking the picture with the subject directly in front of the camera, the reflection from the flash goes off in the other direction instead of bouncing back into the picture.

i can't do that for a few reasons. my flash is built
into the camera and the camera is directly overhead.
the depth of field on a macro zoom lens isn't much at
all.

for the moment i've rigged up a reflector which scatters
the light from the flash off to the sides and that has
helped to reduce the glare by quite a bit, but it also
reduces the light so i'm not sure i want to do this but
the results are acceptable and i can bump things back up
in post-processing fairly easy.

if i need to use a different lighting rig that's likely
not going to be easily done with the current situation of
disruption with the virus and how people may not be
working or shipping things. i can try to set up a bit
more light for fun too to see what effect that might have.

good projects to mess around with now if i can't get
outside much, but it looks like i will be able to get
back outside today again for a little while. have to
build up my stamina gradually.

songbird
Old 26-03-2020, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...ting_There.jpg

That is a true thing of beauty! What a wonderful picture!

thank you!

i have a ways to go with the picture taking, i don't
want the glare from the flash. still working on that
yet.

I've found that if you angle the camera a bit instead of taking the picture with the subject directly in front of the camera, the reflection from the flash goes off in the other direction instead of bouncing back into the picture.

i can't do that for a few reasons. my flash is built
into the camera and the camera is directly overhead.
the depth of field on a macro zoom lens isn't much at
all.

Can you tilt the subject field a bit? Not too much, or the beans will roll off.
Old 27-03-2020, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Photography was getting to a bean picture

On 2020-03-24 12:29, songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/img/photograp...400_185_Gettin
g_There.jpg

[...]

I've had similar lighting problems with both my seemingly
ancient Sony Mavica and now my new-ish (as of December 2018)
Nikon D3400. I chose the Nikon since it is compatible with
the lenses (including a macro lens) that I had bought for
my Nikon film camera last century.

I've been downloading all sorts of ebooks about DSLR
photography in general and food photography in particular,
but haven't had time to spent reading and experimenting.
(Although if this lockdown continues, I may soon have some
time to spend with it.)

Anyhow, since I can't really afford to purchase all the
lighting doodads recommended for the type of photography
I want to do, I'm planning on trying to make-do with some
things on hand.

I've got a couple of daylight Ott lights meant for desktop
use. I'm thinking of using those plus some sort of scrim
setup to filter the lights. Don't laugh, but I"m considering
using a couple of 14 inch diameter embroidery hoops a
neighbor gave me then stretching some plain muslin fabric
across them and placing them in front of the lights.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to use
to get the hoops to stay in place on a table. I'm thinking
large binder clips as "feet" for each, but of course, I
can't find any large binder clips on hand. No way I'm
heading to a store to get any either. :/

Anyone have any other ideas for re-purposing on-hand items
to help with lighting or other photography issues?

Nyssa, who has already planted one vegetable bed with lettuce
and some old snap pea seeds she found and hopes to start
clearing another bed later today

Old 27-03-2020, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:23:39 -0400, Nyssa
wrote:

Anyone have any other ideas for re-purposing on-hand items
to help with lighting or other photography issues?

Piece of white posterboard, lit by whatever as a "soft light"
reflector.
The saving grace is that the current sensors are _much_ more
sensitive, so insane light levels not needed.

Old 27-03-2020, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Anyone have any other ideas for re-purposing on-hand items
to help with lighting or other photography issues?

Piece of white posterboard, lit by whatever as a "soft light"
reflector.
The saving grace is that the current sensors are _much_ more
sensitive, so insane light levels not needed.

yes, so far that is what i'm finding out.

there are various youtube videos you can find which
show various kinds of light filters or softeners.

for me, i came up with a piece of plastic which i
can hang right off the overhead camera/flash (they
are attached) and on that i used double sided tape
to hold some small mirrors to a piece of foam so
that it deflects the light from the flash off to the
sides.

the hook itself is made from a piece of plastic
cut from a milk carton, so it is stiff enough to be
shaped and hold it's shape and also to be bent to
the angle i needed for it to be.

it works to get rid of the worst of the glare from
the flash and working so close up.

i'm not sure yet this is my final set up for doing
the pictures i want to take but it sure looks a lot
better now than it did before.

i'm still trying other things too as i get the time
and inclination in between bouts of gardening and the
other things going on.

there are other things that eventually can be done
from making other flash unit redirectors to get the
light i want, and they aren't expensive to do either,
just a few $ - so that is nice. the hard part now is
that can't go get things from the stores so just have
to be patient and work with what i have on hand.

luckily i did get all the hardware i needed for this
initial foray before the shipping stuff started to be
restricted.

songbird

Old 27-03-2020, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
Can you tilt the subject field a bit? Not too much, or the beans will roll off.

right, plus with the macro zoom you really want a flat
field as much as possible so trying to angle away cuts
down on how much will be in focus, which defeats my
purposes of this project.

songbird