Old 04-04-2020, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default hoarders and greenhouse plants?

Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too? Or just seeds?

-T
Old 04-04-2020, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T

We have plenty of both, here.

--
Maggie
Old 04-04-2020, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T

We have plenty of both, here.

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Weird the things folks are hoarding. Eggs and dairy?
Those things spoil!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 21:46:43 -0700, T wrote:

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

We seed savers are just (upstate NY) starting tomatos. And testing
older seed-some 16-year-old romaine is germinating nicely.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

We seed savers are just (upstate NY) starting tomatos.
And testing older seed-some 16-year-old romaine is
germinating nicely.

I had to do something like that with snap pea seeds that
ranged from three to five years old. I keep checking on
them, but only a few have poked through the dirt so far.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Except for a few seeds that a neighbor picked up for me
over the past couple of months, I'm mostly having to
rely on older leftover seeds.

My other neighbor who usually orders for both of us from
Pinetree Seeds, was dealing with her husband's illness
(he passed away last month) and never got around to making
the order. My other in-person source(s) have both gone out
of business.

With the lockdown, I haven't ventured out far enough to
check the big box stores nor my other source for plants
and seeds that's 45 miles away.

I'm dealing with things as best I can and have two vegetable
beds planted with snap peas (which may or may not work), two
types of lettuce, and broccoli.

Nyssa, who also has started some tomato and pepper seeds
from last year and has hopes that they'll do the job

Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/3/2020 6:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T

Based on my relatives postings on Facebook, everyone is planting a
garden and trying to raise chickens.

Paul
Old 04-04-2020, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T

We have plenty of both, here.

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Weird the things folks are hoarding.Â* Eggs and dairy?
Those things spoil!

If you can, buy some produce in the store. Save the seeds and plant them.

We had 2 dozen eggs for maybe 10 days, but my son ate a bunch of them
yesterday!

--
Maggie
Old 04-04-2020, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/4/2020 12:13 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 4/3/2020 6:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T

Based on my relatives postings on Facebook, everyone is planting a
garden and trying to raise chickens.

Paul

We've done both off and on for years. My son recently bought 10 egg
layer chicks and is raising them, now.

--
Maggie
Old 04-04-2020, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T
We have plenty of both, here.

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Weird the things folks are hoarding.Â* Eggs and dairy?
Those things spoil!

If you can, buy some produce in the store. Save the seeds and plant them.

We had 2 dozen eggs for maybe 10 days, but my son ate a bunch of them
yesterday!

Â* I had horrible germination rates on my slicing tomatoes and the 3
kinds of peppers I planted . I've already talked to my plant guru and
will be picking up some seedlings in a few days . But for right now ,
our hens have been outproducing our appetite for eggs , I'm thinking
about beating a bunch and freezing them in a muffin tin . Then I can pop
'em out and bag them for later .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 04-04-2020, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/3/2020 11:46 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
[...]

We used to outproduce out need and/or want for eggs, too. Friends wanted
to buy them from us, so, occasionally we'd take some cash for eggs and
put that $ into buying either scratch, or bedding for the chickens.

--
Maggie

Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Muggles wrote:
We used to outproduce out need and/or want for eggs, too. Friends wanted
to buy them from us, so, occasionally we'd take some cash for eggs and
put that $ into buying either scratch, or bedding for the chickens.

i've always liked pickled eggs.

songbird
Old 05-04-2020, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/3/2020 11:46 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Â* Last summer when the hens were in full production mode we took the
excess to a small veggie stand and split the proceeds with them . That
might not be an option this year , and we now have a second freezer -
our son gave us a small chest unit that he no longer needs . Might as
well fill it up .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/4/2020 2:45 PM, songbird wrote:
Muggles wrote:
We used to outproduce out need and/or want for eggs, too. Friends wanted
to buy them from us, so, occasionally we'd take some cash for eggs and
put that $ into buying either scratch, or bedding for the chickens.

i've always liked pickled eggs.

songbird

yeah, me too! I pickled them with beet juice added. They turn the
pretties color purple!

--
Maggie
Old 05-04-2020, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-04-03 19:17, Muggles wrote:
On 4/3/2020 8:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green
house plants too?Â* Or just seeds?

-T
We have plenty of both, here.
Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Weird the things folks are hoarding.Â* Eggs and dairy?
Those things spoil!

If you can, buy some produce in the store. Save the seeds and plant
them.

We had 2 dozen eggs for maybe 10 days, but my son ate a bunch of them
yesterday!

Â*Â* I had horrible germination rates on my slicing tomatoes and the 3
kinds of peppers I planted . I've already talked to my plant guru and
will be picking up some seedlings in a few days . But for right now ,
our hens have been outproducing our appetite for eggs , I'm thinking
about beating a bunch and freezing them in a muffin tin . Then I can pop
'em out and bag them for later .

We used to outproduce out need and/or want for eggs, too. Friends wanted
to buy them from us, so, occasionally we'd take some cash for eggs and
put that $ into buying either scratch, or bedding for the chickens.

Â* Last summer when the hens were in full production mode we took the
excess to a small veggie stand and split the proceeds with them . That
might not be an option this year , and we now have a second freezer -
our son gave us a small chest unit that he no longer needs . Might as
well fill it up .

We'll probably have some eggs in 5 or 6 months once these hen chicks
come of age.

--
Maggie
Old 05-04-2020, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-04-04 06:20, Gary Woods wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 21:46:43 -0700, T wrote:

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

We seed savers are just (upstate NY) starting tomatos. And testing
older seed-some 16-year-old romaine is germinating nicely.

I apparently do not know how to save seeds as
mine never germinate or if the do, they die shortly

:'(