Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default And so it begins

Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and
onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at the
co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're forecast for
one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting a
couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes and
zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry patch
is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really
optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really well ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some
blueberries and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive
splitting and onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be
picking up some seedlings at the co-op ... I probably
won't plant them right away , we're forecast for one more
frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting
a couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got
some cukes and zukes and squashes I want to grow this year
. And the strawberry patch is blowin' up and the bees are
working it steadily . I'm really optimistic about the
garden this year , it's started out really well ...

I've got two of my eight vegetable garden beds cleared and
planted. Broccoli, lettuce, and snap peas so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the one with snap peas
since I had to use seeds-on-hand for the snap peas with seeds
ranging from three to five years old. So far, only three
little plants are emerging, but I have hope.

Started clearing Bed #3 yesterday, but was chased in by
rain. If things clear out (and dry out some), I'll try to
get the rest of the bed cleared and planted this afternoon.
It'll have the other six broccoli plants and more lettuce.

Yesterday the first of the tomato seeds I'd started indoors
poked its leaves out of the starting mix. More should be
following over the next few days.

Making do with some old seeds and what few were purchased
before the lockdown, but at least there will be something
trying to grow out there to supplement the canned and
baked goods.

Nyssa, who has learned not to trust the weatherman, but
still got caught short yesterday by the rain that wasn't
supposed to come until nighttime

Old 07-04-2020, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and
onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at the
co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're forecast for
one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting a
couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes and
zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry patch
is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really
optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really well ...

My son has been raising his own veggies from seed for the last month. So
far, so good! Now all he has to do is clean out the old chicken coup to
put his new hen chicks in it.

--
Maggie
Old 07-04-2020, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/7/2020 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and
onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at the
co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're forecast for
one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting a
couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes and
zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry patch
is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really
optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really well ...

My son has been raising his own veggies from seed for the last month. So
far, so good! Now all he has to do is clean out the old chicken coup to
put his new hen chicks in it.

Â* If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make sure
he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in
nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight
from the coop .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 07-04-2020, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/7/2020 1:00 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and
most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and
onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at the
co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're forecast for
one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting a
couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes and
zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry patch
is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really
optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really well ...

My son has been raising his own veggies from seed for the last month. So
far, so good!Â* Now all he has to do is clean out the old chicken coup to
put his new hen chicks in it.

Â* If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make sure
he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in
nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight
from the coop .

The stuff that needs cleaning is old, so it'll go straight into the
beds, more than likely.

--
Maggie

Old 08-04-2020, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 2:31:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

That reminds me that I have to sweep out the sheep barn.

Paul
Old 08-04-2020, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/7/2020 8:44 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I'll be visiting my neighbor's rabbit cages several times tomorrow with
my yard tractor and a small trailer ... some will be mixed into my
compost pile , some will be mixed with the soil when I plant my
seedlings in a few days . None will be wasted .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/7/2020 8:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 8:44 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 2:31:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 4/7/2020 1:00 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries
[...]

Â*Â* If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make
sure
he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in
nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight
from the coop .

The stuff that needs cleaning is old, so it'll go straight into the
beds, more than likely.

--Â*
Maggie

That reminds me that I have to sweep out the sheep barn.

Paul

I'll be visiting my neighbor's rabbit cages several times tomorrow with
my yard tractor and a small trailer ... some will be mixed into my
compost pile , some will be mixed with the soil when I plant my
seedlings in a few days . None will be wasted .

My son cleaned out the old chicken coup and set aside the stuff he
shoveled up. He finally put his egg layer chicks in the small part of
the coup and they seem happy.

I the process one chick got loose and he hasn't caught it yet. It's
taken refuge under the workshop. Got any ideas how to lure the chick
out and catch it?

--
Maggie
Old 09-04-2020, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/8/2020 5:44 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Food and or water . Put it under a box propped up on a stick and just
wait ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/8/2020 6:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/8/2020 5:44 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/7/2020 8:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 8:44 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 2:31:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 4/7/2020 1:00 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/7/2020 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 4/6/2020 9:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries
[...]

Â*Â*Â* If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make
sure
he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in
nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight
from the coop .

The stuff that needs cleaning is old, so it'll go straight into the
beds, more than likely.

--Â*
Maggie
That reminds me that I have to sweep out the sheep barn.

Paul
I'll be visiting my neighbor's rabbit cages several times tomorrow with
my yard tractor and a small trailer ... some will be mixed into my
compost pile , some will be mixed with the soil when I plant my
seedlings in a few days . None will be wasted .

My son cleaned out the old chicken coup and set aside the stuff he
shoveled up.Â* He finally put his egg layer chicks in the small part of
the coup and they seem happy.

In the process one chick got loose and he hasn't caught it yet.Â* It's
taken refuge under the workshop.Â* Got any ideas how to lure the chick
out and catch it?

Food and or water . Put it under a box propped up on a stick and just
wait ...

I'll let my son know ... thanks

--
Maggie

and so it begins, Billy[_4_] Edible Gardening 12 04-03-2008 05:04 PM
and so the watering begins... Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 14 15-04-2007 10:31 PM
Winter comes, Katrina passes and rec.ponds begins to snooze Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 28-10-2005 03:02 PM
And the cutting begins... CJ Lawns 0 18-05-2004 02:27 PM
Glosso: When it begins to spread? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 08-03-2003 02:23 PM