Old 27-04-2020, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default on to the next part

today i finally finished up breaking apart all the old
rotting pallets. what a mess. i rescued what wood i
could and the stuff that has a lot of rusting nails in
it i can use as fill in a spot where people won't be
digging any gardens.

the next part is getting some drain tubes pulled out
of a garden so i can use them in the ditch i'm filling
in.

otherwise it has been still pretty cold here too
many nights so i'm not sure i want to do peas yet but
it is getting closer.

some flowers are out, a lot of daffodils and hyacinths.
this pic i liked.

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...acinth_thm.jpg

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...Closer_thm.jpg

songbird
Old 27-04-2020, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

today i finally finished up breaking apart all the old
rotting pallets. what a mess. i rescued what wood i
could and the stuff that has a lot of rusting nails in
it i can use as fill in a spot where people won't be
digging any gardens.

the next part is getting some drain tubes pulled out
of a garden so i can use them in the ditch i'm filling
in.

otherwise it has been still pretty cold here too
many nights so i'm not sure i want to do peas yet but
it is getting closer.

some flowers are out, a lot of daffodils and hyacinths.
this pic i liked.

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-

flowers/thm/DSC_20200412_130848-0400_243_Hyacinth_thm.jpg

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-

flowers/thm/DSC_20200412_130848-0400_243_Hyacinth_Closer_thm.jpg

songbird

Here it seems like everything is a month behind where
it should be by now. The weather has been very rainy
and cold with maybe two days where it was anything
close to seasonal temperatures.

I did manage to get three beds planted in between the
raindrops over the past month with some very old snap
pea seeds that didn't do well, then re-planted with
a newer package of Dwarf Grey Sugar peas that are
up about an inch or two.

Two other beds have staggered plantings of broccoli
and all three beds have staggered plantings of lettuce,
some of which is ready to harvest and be replaced with
younger plants. At least the too-cold temperatures have
made the lettuce very happy.

I tried to start clearing another bed for green beans,
but the rains chased me in.

Today it looks like more showers later, but I really
have to try to get some of the ankle-high grass cut,
and it's too cold to sit out and weed that garden bed
anyway. sigh

At least I've seen two hummingbirds braving the chill
out by my feeder, so spring must be out there somewhere
waiting for its chance to finally arrive.

Nyssa, who also got her flower bed cleared, but that's
much smaller than her vegetable beds so was a quicker
job

Old 27-04-2020, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/27/2020 8:35 AM, Nyssa wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Â* I don't know where you live , but here on the southern edge of the
Ozark Plateau spring came early . Then it left , and now it's back . It
has been quite a wet spring and there must be a LOT of stuff blooming
out there if my bees are any indication . So far they've swarmed 3 times
- I caught and re-hived 2 of the swarms - and our hive count is up to 9
from 4 at the end of winter (I did some splits too) . Now if it'll stop
raining for a couple more days I'll be able to get out in the garden and
get my seedlings planted .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 27-04-2020, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

[...]

Here in Maryland, north of Baltimore and near the Chesapeake Bay, we had a very mild winter and an early spring. We've had a couple of frosty nights in April, but it looks like that's over now. My wife has some hardy plants out in the garden already; carrots, lettuce, cabbage, etc. We have a hoop house over one of the rows, under which she's gotten an early start on beans and corn. Too much rain lately; seems that we get two dry days, then three rain days. Lots of strong wind but I put up a small plywood wind break to protect the hoop house and it hasn't blown away yet.
Old 27-04-2020, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nyssa wrote:
At least I've seen two hummingbirds braving the chill
out by my feeder, so spring must be out there somewhere
waiting for its chance to finally arrive.

the catbirds showed up today. or at least this morning
is the first day i've heard them sing.

i may have seen a hummingbird already, but i'm not sure
as it was so fleeting. it could have just been some other
small bird i saw out of the corner of my eye.

we have plenty of flowers out for them now so i expect
to see more signs of them soon.

songbird

Old 27-04-2020, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 4:44:01 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Nyssa wrote:
At least I've seen two hummingbirds braving the chill
out by my feeder, so spring must be out there somewhere
waiting for its chance to finally arrive.

the catbirds showed up today. or at least this morning
is the first day i've heard them sing.

i may have seen a hummingbird already, but i'm not sure
as it was so fleeting. it could have just been some other
small bird i saw out of the corner of my eye.

we have plenty of flowers out for them now so i expect
to see more signs of them soon.

songbird

We put out the hummingbird feeder last week but haven't seen any yet. They usually come back to our area the during last ten days in April. The hummingbird migration map has reported sightings in our area and a few north of us:

https://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hu...ation-map-2020
Old 29-04-2020, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nyssa wrote:
At least I've seen two hummingbirds braving the chill
out by my feeder, so spring must be out there somewhere
waiting for its chance to finally arrive.

the catbirds showed up today. or at least this morning
is the first day i've heard them sing.

i may have seen a hummingbird already, but i'm not sure
as it was so fleeting. it could have just been some other
small bird i saw out of the corner of my eye.

we have plenty of flowers out for them now so i expect
to see more signs of them soon.

songbird

We put out the hummingbird feeder last week but haven't seen any yet. They usually come back to our area the during last ten days in April. The hummingbird migration map has reported sightings in our area and a few north of us:

https://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hu...ation-map-2020

Saw our first hummingbird at the feeder yesterday, 4/28!