Old 07-05-2020, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Possible freeze. To water or not to water?

We have 40 - 60 % chance of flurries for
Thur. - Fri. nights ... that's SNOW flurries -
not blossom flurries ...
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html

i'm going to see how certain types of peas will
weather these over night cold snaps.

it is a shame i'm so tired from doing things that i
don't really have much time to do good observations
and measurements. i don't even have a proper weather
station.

the raised bed they are in is surrounded by some
rocks and slabs of concrete so perhaps those will hold
enough heat in.

i've already been surprised by how quickly the peas
did sprout so perhaps they will all be ok.

good thing it was only a sacrificial round of planting
which i had no idea if they'd do ok or not.

songbird
Old 08-05-2020, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 06 May 2020 23:31:03 -0400, songbird wrote:

We have 40 - 60 % chance of flurries for Thur. - Fri. nights ...
that's SNOW flurries -
not blossom flurries ...
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html

i'm going to see how certain types of peas will
weather these over night cold snaps.

it is a shame i'm so tired from doing things that i
don't really have much time to do good observations and measurements. i
don't even have a proper weather station.

the raised bed they are in is surrounded by some
rocks and slabs of concrete so perhaps those will hold enough heat in.

i've already been surprised by how quickly the peas
did sprout so perhaps they will all be ok.

good thing it was only a sacrificial round of planting
which i had no idea if they'd do ok or not.

songbird

If the mass can be increased, it's possible to have an improvement. The
specific heat of concrete is slightly less than most soils, so as far
as material properties it's no magic
-f
Old 08-05-2020, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank Miles wrote:
If the mass can be increased, it's possible to have an improvement. The
specific heat of concrete is slightly less than most soils, so as far
as material properties it's no magic

i think it will be ok, but we'll see what happens...
the coldest forecast is for this evening and the peas
are just now sprouting so they're not at a flowering
stage.

songbird
Old 08-05-2020, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

There is some signs of life in the frozen peppers.
Maybe it is possible that they just might recover?
Probably just wishful thinking on my part.