Old 03-05-2020, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Possible freeze. To water or not to water?

Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June. We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F. I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water? Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing? Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T
Old 03-05-2020, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

Read the weather report wrong. The 30F is tonight.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

Read the weather report wrong.Â* The 30F is tonight.

Do you have any plastic trash bags or plastic walmart bags to cover the
plants with?

--
Maggie
Old 04-05-2020, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I have nothing to cover them with

no old light blankets, sheets? buckets, pots, or
pans?

if you are really worried you can heat up some
rocks and put them in there. though you have to
be sure not to fry your plants too.

i don't have any experience with watering to
save from frosts. i have one experience with
putting things over plants and it didn't matter
much as the peppers dropped all their leaves
anyways, the tomato plants seemed a bit more
tolerant but i wouldn't count on that. what
happened after that the pepper plants regrew
their leaves and the tomato plants survived
and we had a decent crop all around.

i don't plant early, except things i have extra
seeds and can afford to risk it. 3 weeks is way
too early for warm season plants IMO.

we have frost in the forecast for later this week.
perhaps my first planting of peas won't make it or
not. we'll see...

good luck!

songbird
Old 04-05-2020, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

Read the weather report wrong. The 30F is tonight.

Did it freeze last night? Did you water beforehand? Hope your plants all did well.

Paul

Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week
in June.Â* We have been having a lot of hot weather, so
I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of
cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F.Â* I may have
to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water?Â* Which is best in this circumstance?
Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would
warm it above freezing?Â* Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,
-T

Read the weather report wrong. The 30F is tonight.

Did it freeze last night? Did you water beforehand? Hope your plants all did well.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Weather service said it dipped to 28F.

I did water beforehand.

All of my cherry tomatoes survived. They
were within 6 feet of the house.

The pepper plant closest to house is quite
happy, but the remaining 9 are all wilted.
But four of remaining nine did not fare to
well with the prior transplant shock.

Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks
before replanting the peppers.

-T

Old 05-05-2020, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

[...]

Glad to hear that you had some survivors. I've noticed that the side of the car parked next to the house is often clear when the other side is covered in frost. I guess the heat leaking from the house warms the nearby area. We're pretty much past the frost threat in our area (Maryland north of Baltimore and near the bay).

Paul
Old 05-05-2020, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-03 13:43, T wrote:
Hi All,

[...]

And I just got my first tomato flower!

It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

Old 05-05-2020, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.

songbird
Old 06-05-2020, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

T wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.

songbird

Here in SE VA we usually have just set out the warm
weather plants or are about to do so. My plants are
a little behind this year due to not having fresh seeds
for everything and having to re-start several varieties.

Turns out it's a Good Thing I'm behind because the weather
radio this morning informed the region that a there is a
possible frost warning for Saturday night with temps dropping
into the mid-30s. Yikes! This is just about unheard of and
about a month after the usual average last frost date.

Farmers are probably scrambling as are many home gardeners.

But all of my plant "customers" are still waiting for me
to hand over the plants, so we're safe. Whew!

I finally got bed #4 cleared and planted two days ago when
it was actually spring-like weather. Green beans in that
bed and they should be okay since they haven't had time
to emerge yet.

The rest of the planted beds are all cold-lovers like
peas, broccoli, and lettuce. The one flower bed is close
to the house and should be protected enough to come through
okay too.

Geez, what a year!

Nyssa, who had planned on starting to clear another bed
or two but rains along with a 20 degree drop in temperature
put that idea to rest quick-like

Old 06-05-2020, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-05 06:30, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.

songbird

I do know better. I just got greedy.

And Wally World is out of Anaheim Peppers, so I
may have shot myself in the foot.

Tomorrow is support to be 85F too.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.
songbird

I do know better. I just got greedy.
And Wally World is out of Anaheim Peppers, so I
may have shot myself in the foot.
Tomorrow is support to be 85F too.

We have 40 - 60 % chance of flurries for
Thur. - Fri. nights ... that's SNOW flurries -
not blossom flurries ...
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html

John T.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It will be interesting to see if any of the
peppers recover whilst I wait to buy new ones

it is several weeks too early for us to be
setting out warm weather plants.
songbird

I do know better. I just got greedy.
And Wally World is out of Anaheim Peppers, so I
may have shot myself in the foot.
Tomorrow is support to be 85F too.

We have 40 - 60 % chance of flurries for
Thur. - Fri. nights ... that's SNOW flurries -
not blossom flurries ...
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html

John T.

It was snowing in northwestern Pennsylvania this (May 6) morning. We're supposed to have some chilly nights coming up here in Maryland but hopefully above freezing.

In the winter of 2010, we had two major snowfalls in a three day period. When the snow eventually started melting, we noticed a kale plant sticking through the snow. It went on to grow on through the spring and summer.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul
Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-06 11:55, Pavel314 wrote:
When the snow eventually started melting, we noticed a kale plant sticking through the snow. It went on to grow on through the spring and summer.

Kale survived??? There is no justice in life

:'(