GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Marigold Destruction (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/216952-marigold-destruction.html)

T[_4_] 20-05-2020 11:24 PM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-18 18:30, songbird wrote:
hunting them in the fall would be good if i
could bring myself to do it, but i'm not that
hungry yet.

Venison. Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk.

Moose, elk. YUM!

Rabbit? Never tried it.

T[_4_] 20-05-2020 11:26 PM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-18 19:09, Snag wrote:
70 pound Mountain Cur

I give up. What is a 70 pound mountain cur?

RosemontCrest[_2_] 20-05-2020 11:29 PM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer.Â* Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

Â*Â* with a night scope and a flash bang of some kind
that could be fun.Â* mini-tank with big bore spark
shooting noise maker.Â* :)

Â*Â* in the end though a fence would be cheaper and
nice to keep the ticks away.Â* we've already found
two deer ticks this year (not by them biting us)
in the house brought in on clothes after working
in areas where they come through the yard.Â* i
wrap the lil buggers in a bit of toilet paper
and then chop them with scissors to make sure
they are dead.Â* they're very hard to kill.

Â*Â* hunting them in the fall would be good if i
could bring myself to do it, but i'm not that
hungry yet.

Â*Â* songbird

Deer will jump of a 12 foot fence.

Possibly. Deer can jump great heights.

The trick is
to make sure they can see what in on the other
side and they won't attempt it

The trick is to make sure that they can NOT see what is on the other side.

T[_4_] 20-05-2020 11:56 PM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-20 15:29, RosemontCrest wrote:
Deer will jump of a 12 foot fence.

Possibly.Â*DeerÂ*canÂ*jumpÂ*greatÂ*heights.

I saw one jump a 12 foot chain link. From
free standing. Freaked me out.

songbird[_2_] 21-05-2020 12:59 AM

Marigold Destruction

RosemontCrest wrote:
The trick is to make sure that they can NOT see what is on the other side.

i have no desire to put up a solid fence.

6ft is sufficient here but 8ft is better.

also having various obstructions and uneven
footing around makes it harder for them to
try it.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 21-05-2020 01:00 AM

Marigold Destruction

T wrote:
I give up. What is a 70 pound mountain cur?

some kind of dawg.

songbird

Snag 21-05-2020 01:25 AM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-18 19:09, Snag wrote:
70 pound Mountain Cur

I give up.Â* What is a 70 pound mountain cur?

It's a dog , a very ferocious dog with big teeth . Actually , Max
(Doggus Maximus the Handsome Hairball) thinks there is no such thing as
a stranger , just a lot of friends he hasn't met yet . This is an old
breed , originated in the Appalachians way back in colonial days . They
were bred for herding , hunting , and protecting the family and stock .
They're smart and headstrong and it's a constant thing to remind him
he's not the boss . And as long as he's by my side there's nothing out
in these woods that I fear .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

T[_4_] 21-05-2020 02:47 AM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-18 19:09, Snag wrote:
70 pound Mountain Cur

I give up.Â* What is a 70 pound mountain cur?

Â* It's a dog , a very ferocious dog with big teeth.

Adolf?

Actually , Max
(Doggus Maximus the Handsome Hairball) thinks there is no such thing as
a stranger , just a lot of friends he hasn't met yet .

Okay, not Adolf

This is an old
breed , originated in the Appalachians way back in colonial days . They
were bred for herding , hunting , and protecting the family and stock .
They're smart and headstrong and it's a constant thing to remind him
he's not the boss . And as long as he's by my side there's nothing out
in these woods that I fear .

Dogs are such loving spirits.

:-)

T[_4_] 21-05-2020 02:50 AM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-20 19:00, wrote:
One fellow, a couple of miles distant, and who clearly has been in
these woods far longer than I has his entire garden (well. five sides of
it) encaged in what appears, from drive-by distance, to be chain link
fencing. No wildlife is going to disturb that garden!

He better bury the fencing three down or critter
will burrow under it?

Had a customer with a green house that kept getting
raided. He finally solved the issue by using stone
tile on the floor. Gave the little fellow a headache
trying to get to the surface. Chuckle.

T[_4_] 21-05-2020 04:29 AM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-20 17:00, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I give up. What is a 70 pound mountain cur?

some kind of dawg.

songbird

It's a "southern" dog? Growl at all northerners,
but does not remember why?

:-)

songbird[_2_] 21-05-2020 02:23 PM

Marigold Destruction

One fellow, a couple of miles distant, and who clearly has been in
these woods far longer than I has his entire garden (well. five sides of
it) encaged in what appears, from drive-by distance, to be chain link
fencing. No wildlife is going to disturb that garden!

hardware mesh underneath if you have diggers like
gophers. we have some that will dig a little to get
under a fence (rabbits and groundhogs), but if i leave
them their bolt holes to get through then i know where
they will be running for to get out when i get the
air-rifle out. so i can lead them...

glad to hear from you Derald!

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 21-05-2020 03:12 PM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer. Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

with a night scope and a flash bang of some kind
that could be fun. mini-tank with big bore spark
shooting noise maker. :)

in the end though a fence would be cheaper and
nice to keep the ticks away. we've already found
two deer ticks this year (not by them biting us)
in the house brought in on clothes after working
in areas where they come through the yard. i
wrap the lil buggers in a bit of toilet paper
and then chop them with scissors to make sure
they are dead. they're very hard to kill.

hunting them in the fall would be good if i
could bring myself to do it, but i'm not that
hungry yet.

songbird

Deer will jump of a 12 foot fence. The trick is
to make sure they can see what in on the other
side and they won't attempt it

We were having problems with critters invading the garden so we bought a motion activated device that hooks up to the hose and noisily squirts a stream of water when activated. It can be adjusted for range of squirting, from straight ahead to over 180 degrees and set for night, day, or both. Very sensitive; we both got squirted when coming too close to the garden after dark.

Paul

songbird[_2_] 25-05-2020 12:43 PM

Marigold Destruction

brains—of their own. Happy Memorial Day weekend to y'all aaaaaand happy
wedding anniversary to ME! (May 26)

aww! sweet! congrats to you both! some people are
lucky to have found a good partner. :)

songbird

T[_4_] 30-05-2020 08:18 AM

Marigold Destruction

On 2020-05-24 13:31, wrote:
I hope you can live with the typos.

Hey! I haven't had a single stroke and still type 20
times as much as you!

:'(