Old 17-05-2020, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Marigold Destruction

Although marigolds aren't edible, I though someone on this list might have had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden marigolds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the back door. They've been there for a few weeks now. This afternoon, something tore the three large flowers off one of the plants and left them on the lawn a few feet away. Only one plant was damaged, the other nine or ten are unharmed.

They were OK this morning but she noticed the damage after lunch. Two of our barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds and rodents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.

Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?

Paul
Old 17-05-2020, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-16 19:29, Pavel314 wrote:
Although marigolds aren't edible, I though someone on this list might have had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden marigolds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the back door. They've been there for a few weeks now. This afternoon, something tore the three large flowers off one of the plants and left them on the lawn a few feet away. Only one plant was damaged, the other nine or ten are unharmed.

They were OK this morning but she noticed the damage after lunch. Two of our barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds and rodents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.

Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?

Paul

My place, it would be rabbits. A tip off would be that
they just ate the tops off.
Old 17-05-2020, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 2020-05-16 19:29, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

They didn't eat any of the plants, just tore off the flowers and left them on the lawn. Could be though. I first thought maybe rabbits or woodchucks but they're usually too afraid of the cats to come that close to the house.

Paul
Old 17-05-2020, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-16 19:29, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Around these parts, when folks plant things that the
deer don't like, the deer will pull them out and throw
them on the lawn. Maybe something like that happened?

Old 17-05-2020, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?

likely suspects here would be deer, rabbits or
groundhogs. check the surrounding area for deer tracks.

young deer can sample things not knowing if they are
edible or not. this is common happening here on various
plants.

even plants reputed to not be deer friendly have been
sampled to death.

wish i could fence the whole area off as that would
save so much damage, but Mom won't let me do it yet...

songbird

Old 17-05-2020, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/16/2020 7:29 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Although marigolds aren't edible, I though someone on this list might have had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden marigolds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the back door. They've been there for a few weeks now. This afternoon, something tore the three large flowers off one of the plants and left them on the lawn a few feet away. Only one plant was damaged, the other nine or ten are unharmed.

They were OK this morning but she noticed the damage after lunch. Two of our barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds and rodents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.

Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?

Paul

In my neighborhood:

1) Squirrels. Tree rats simply laugh at my cats, and taunt them to give
chase; they fear no cat. A squirrel may have tasted one and tossed it aside.

2) Rabbits. They typically fear cats, but they may sample the vegetation
if given a safe opportunity.

3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them, then discard them if not tasty enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

4) Raccoons. While raccoons don't typically don't eat flowers, I
wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit. Raccoons have no fear of
cats.

What other critters do you have roaming your neck of the woods?
Old 17-05-2020, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Around these parts, when folks plant things that the
deer don't like, the deer will pull them out and throw
them on the lawn. Maybe something like that happened?

if it is a new plant they're not used to they may
be sampling it. often that is what it looks like
that they are pulling out new plants, but that is only
because the roots have not grown enough yet to keep
the new plant in the ground when it is being sampled.

like any person who eats something they don't like
they bite off some and then spit it out when it doesn't
taste right.

it happens here quite often...

songbird
Old 17-05-2020, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

RosemontCrest wrote:
4) Raccoons. While raccoons don't typically don't eat flowers, I
wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit. Raccoons have no fear of
cats.

they have small sharp teeth, they shred things,
not a clean break or cut.

What other critters do you have roaming your neck of the woods?

pretty much everything here at one time or another.
skunks, possums, mink, muskrat, fox, coyote, ...

but more often than not the top four for damage here
are deer, rabbit, groundhog, chipmunk (in that order).
good fence works for the first three and a bit of air
rifle hunting makes sure the last one doesn't get too
repopulated. raccoons are an issue if you try to grow
some plants that they like or if you use fish emulsion
fertilizers they will pull out plants thinking there
is some good food down in the ground... we don't grow
sweet corn so they don't bother us here and i don't
even consider them pests. they do useful things like
eat hornet/wasp nests from behind/under the rocks.

luckily we don't have bear, wild pig, moose, elk...
the bison down the road aren't free roaming either.

songbird
Old 17-05-2020, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-17 05:08, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Around these parts, when folks plant things that the
deer don't like, the deer will pull them out and throw
them on the lawn. Maybe something like that happened?

if it is a new plant they're not used to they may
be sampling it. often that is what it looks like
that they are pulling out new plants, but that is only
because the roots have not grown enough yet to keep
the new plant in the ground when it is being sampled.

like any person who eats something they don't like
they bite off some and then spit it out when it doesn't
taste right.

it happens here quite often...

songbird

Ya, bugs too. I will find some of my leaves with all
kinds of holes in them. Then they leave the alone.
Old 18-05-2020, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer. Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

Old 19-05-2020, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer. Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

I bought a game camera which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll set it up on the back porch so I can record anything going near the marigolds.
Old 19-05-2020, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer. Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

with a night scope and a flash bang of some kind
that could be fun. mini-tank with big bore spark
shooting noise maker.

in the end though a fence would be cheaper and
nice to keep the ticks away. we've already found
two deer ticks this year (not by them biting us)
in the house brought in on clothes after working
in areas where they come through the yard. i
wrap the lil buggers in a bit of toilet paper
and then chop them with scissors to make sure
they are dead. they're very hard to kill.

hunting them in the fall would be good if i
could bring myself to do it, but i'm not that
hungry yet.

songbird
Old 19-05-2020, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste
them,Â*thenÂ*discardÂ*themÂ*ifÂ*notÂ*tastyÂ*enough .Â*DeerÂ*haveÂ*noÂ*fearÂ*ofÂ*cats.

One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to
chase deer.Â* Deer don't fear yip dogs either.

But they're sure as hell afraid of my 70 pound Mountain Cur ! If i
step out the door alone they will move off , in no particular hurry . If
Max steps out with me you can hear the branches crackin' as they haul
ass for elsewhere .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Old 19-05-2020, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/18/2020 8:30 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
[...]

We have the Lone Star (IIRC) also known as seed ticks here . Little
*******s have a mean bite and the irritation lasts for several days . I
find a light rap with a small hammer ends their miserable live quite
effectively . Playing the flame from a lighter does a good job too - for
extra fun hold the lighter on them until they pop .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Old 21-05-2020, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-18 18:30, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:
[...]

Deer will jump of a 12 foot fence. The trick is
to make sure they can see what in on the other
side and they won't attempt it