Old 25-05-2020, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default a few pics

i had a moment to start on the pictures last night so these
two were the first selections.

the strawberry patch in bloom (from yesterday early evening):

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...ooming_thm.jpg

what a difference a few years and a redo make (from two years ago):

http://www.anthive.com/img/water/thm...oo_Low_thm.jpg

http://www.anthive.com/img/water/thm..._Spots_thm.jpg

and a few killdeer babies and eggs just as they were hatching
May 1st:

http://www.anthive.com/img/killdeer/...Babies_thm.jpg

songbird
Old 30-05-2020, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-25 04:50, songbird wrote:
the strawberry patch in bloom (from yesterday early evening):

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...ooming_thm.jpg

How do you keep weeds out of the surrounding gravel/rocks?

Pretty picture.

On the other pictures, were they suppose to be underwater?
Old 30-05-2020, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-25 04:50, songbird wrote:
the strawberry patch in bloom (from yesterday early evening):

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...ooming_thm.jpg

How do you keep weeds out of the surrounding gravel/rocks?

have to be weeded once in a while. not too many weeds
get in them, but some do. especially in places where
dirt has been accumulating for 20+yrs. we just removed
a few fairly useless pathways around some gardens inside
the fence because they took more time to weed than they
would take to take care of as a garden space. so finally
i talked Mom into getting rid of them so we'd have more
room for veggies.

Pretty picture.

On the other pictures, were they suppose to be underwater?

no, that's just what happens in that area because it is
the lowest spot of the yard back there. if i knew we
were going to be gardening as much as we are back there i'd
have asked and even paid for bringing in more topsoil. it
is all subsoil and mostly clay so it takes some time to
get it into decent garden soil. always flash floods back
there when it rains. the drainage is pretty good though
it is usually drained off again within a few hours of a
storm unless the entire area gets flooded. it takes about
4-11inches of rain to get the water to come over the road
(depending upon how soggy the ground is when it starts
raining).

http://www.anthive.com/project/water/

songbird
Old 31-05-2020, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-05-30 03:34, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 2020-05-25 04:50, songbird wrote:
[...]

Your favorite weeding tool for your gravel/rocks?

Old 31-05-2020, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Your favorite weeding tool for your gravel/rocks?

ground pillow to sit on.

large bladed dull knife with a comfortable handle
to get the more stubborn ones out. otherwise most of
it is done by hand.

better thing to do would be to design it in such a
way that any dirt that falls on the area falls through
a grid so it can be washed away or collected somehow.
a strong metal mesh and enough support to hold it all
up...

songbird

link to a few of my pond pics Smitty Ponds (alternative) 0 25-05-2007 05:51 PM
A few pics of finished pond Denise Ponds 5 22-07-2004 08:36 PM
A few new PICS of my koi Denise Ponds 4 08-02-2004 06:48 AM
A few new PICS of my koi/oops Denise Ponds 0 06-02-2004 10:42 PM
A few pics to share :-) Denise Ponds 2 29-06-2003 12:20 AM