Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default PING songbird

A couple of years ago you sent me some seed beans , today I planted
the black beans you sent . Do these need to be trellised or are they a
bush bean ? I have materials on hand to build a trellis for them if
needed ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Old 02-06-2020, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:

A couple of years ago you sent me some seed beans , today I planted
the black beans you sent . Do these need to be trellised or are they a
bush bean ? I have materials on hand to build a trellis for them if
needed ...

it is unlikely they are pole beans. back then i didn't
have too many beans other than the bush beans and some
that would sprawl a bit (semi-runner or half-runner they
are sometimes called). so they might climb just a bit but
i rarely bother staking or fencing those.

if the beans are a matte finish they may be turtle beans
but i'm thinking they are more likely a more shiny bean.

if they are shiny and rounded they are a bean related
to or even may be Old Coco. if they are more shaped like
a small red kidney bean (some flat to them) then they can
be a cross between Old Coco and Red Ryder which i was
working on at that time. if they are they will finish
earlier than Old Coco.

i'd have to see a good closeup pic of them to be able
to tell and perhaps even then it might be a mystery. i
don't have any record of what i sent to you.

this past spring i rehomed all the "southern adapted"
beans and cowpeas that people had sent me that would not
do well here. someone came in towards the end of the
seed swap who wanted anything i had that was pole beans
or cowpeas as they had a lot of space to work with. i
gave them a large box top full of about 50 varieties
to start with. it will be interesting to see if they
did much with them this year.

i'm still planting here, i have 18 varieties planted
with three gardens yet to get done this next week inside
the fence and outside the fence i have two more gardens
to plant besides. kinda crazy weather here lately...

this season i am trying to rebuild stocks of some
dry beans so not as many new varieties or cross-breeds
going in that i'd like to keep working on. we planted
a lot of tomatoes so i lost a few extra gardens i could
normally work with on those.

songbird
Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:

A couple of years ago you sent me some seed beans , today I planted
the black beans you sent . Do these need to be trellised or are they a
bush bean ? I have materials on hand to build a trellis for them if
needed ...

p.s. if they are the Turtle Beans or the Coco and Red
Ryder cross those should mostly be bush beans that finish
up pretty quickly.

songbird
Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/2/2020 7:30 AM, songbird wrote:
Snag wrote:

A couple of years ago you sent me some seed beans , today I planted
the black beans you sent . Do these need to be trellised or are they a
bush bean ? I have materials on hand to build a trellis for them if
needed ...

p.s. if they are the Turtle Beans or the Coco and Red
Ryder cross those should mostly be bush beans that finish
up pretty quickly.

songbird

Thanks for the quick responses ! These are a shiny bean , larger than
kidney or Navy beans . I planted all I had , so no pics until they
mature . I have one more strip I might plant with some cowpeas , I just
don't know which I want to grow . Probably the Red Rippers , we like
them with a chunk of ham and some seasoning . We don't eat a lot of
beans , the wife got pretty much all she cared to eat while growing up .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Old 02-06-2020, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses ! These are a shiny bean , larger than
kidney or Navy beans . I planted all I had , so no pics until they
mature . I have one more strip I might plant with some cowpeas , I just
don't know which I want to grow . Probably the Red Rippers , we like
them with a chunk of ham and some seasoning . We don't eat a lot of
beans , the wife got pretty much all she cared to eat while growing up .

i grew up eating mainly one kind of bean the small pea navy
bean, white, bland, not much going for them in terms of flavor.

later on after we discovered Tex-Mex and Mexican food then
at least i started to have other beans and now since i grow so
many i keep discovering more varieties. a lot of them do have
different tastes and textures so if you cook them plain in water
you can learn to enjoy them in different ways besides cooking
them with chunks of meat (which masks a lot of the flavor to
me). we do make baked beans with meat and spices once in a
while too, but most of the beans i make are plain so they can
then be adapted later if desired.

i hope those beans grow for you, i have no memory exactly
of what they were. if you stored them in the freezer
they should be ok. i did see in my messages that i mostly
did send you beans that were grown that season, but i didn't
list them anywhere i could find quickly.

songbird