Old 03-06-2020, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pine stump grinding

I am going to have two pine tree stumps ground up. They are from trees
that fell over the last week. They are about 3 feet in diameter. That
means a lot of ground up stuff to get rid of.

I am getting conflicting info about what to do with it. I have plenty
of land in the woods to dump it, but was told it was good for the garden
as mulch.
I do not do much but do have about 20 tomato plants and a few squarsh
and cantalope plants in an area that is about 20 by maybe 40 feet.Some
tell me to put the grindings on that garden spot. Some say it is bad for
the soil.

What would you do with the grindings ?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 9:54:59 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I am going to have two pine tree stumps ground up. They are from trees
that fell over the last week. They are about 3 feet in diameter. That
means a lot of ground up stuff to get rid of.

I am getting conflicting info about what to do with it. I have plenty
of land in the woods to dump it, but was told it was good for the garden
as mulch.
I do not do much but do have about 20 tomato plants and a few squarsh
and cantalope plants in an area that is about 20 by maybe 40 feet.Some
tell me to put the grindings on that garden spot. Some say it is bad for
the soil.

What would you do with the grindings ?

My wife has been using wood chips as mulch for her garden for years. We also use the wood chips as mulch for the paths leading to the greenhouse and for the greenhouse floor.

Paul
Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ralph Mowery wrote:
What would you do with the grindings ?

if it is just wood chips without dirt mixed in then
that is worth to use as a top mulch for any perennial
garden.

i'm not sure how sticky the chips would be from
pine sap/tar so it may not work well as a pathway
material.

if it has a lot of dirt mixed in with it then
i would bury it around the garden in spots where it
could continue rotting and eventually turn into humus.
not too near existing plants because you don't want
to disturb the roots or their growth. once it has
been broken down more it can be mixed in with the
rest of the garden soil (after a few more years -
really depends upon soil moisture and fungi you have
in your area).

songbird

stump grinding debris r.bartlett United Kingdom 3 03-05-2005 03:47 AM
stump grinding Jeff08171972 Gardening 7 22-09-2004 03:44 PM
Wood Chippings from Stump Grinding Harry Ziman United Kingdom 4 03-05-2004 10:09 PM
Stump grinding aftermath Clem Gardening 3 21-06-2003 04:20 AM
Leftovers From Stump Grinding Alison United Kingdom 1 21-11-2002 05:44 AM