Old 16-06-2020, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default No blooms on tomato plants

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

Old 16-06-2020, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/16/2020 9:26 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

They may not be getting enough water and/or phosphorus. High nitrogen
produces good foliage, but too much can prevent flowering, too.

--
Maggie
Old 16-06-2020, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/16/20 8:26 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

If it is just the free seeds, well...They may be gmo, and will sprout
and grow, but nothing else. my opinion only

Old 17-06-2020, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/16/20 3:05 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I started researching this problem and found out there are plants called
'Bull Tomatoes' (not to be confused with some that are Bull something
tomatoes that produce fruit) that for some reason just do not produce
any blooms or fruit but do grow well and look good. Maybe I just got
unlucky and the 3 plants are all that kind.

This is the first time I have seen that in the 40 or so years I have
been growing tomatoes.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I have never heard of 'Bull
Tomatoes' either.
Old 17-06-2020, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

in nosing around i see that they are stated to be
indeterminate plants so they should keep bearing
fruits until the season is over with as long as
disease doesn't take them out first. so, i'd say
let them be and see what happens.

songbird