Old 18-06-2020, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default scapes question

Hi All,

My bogatyr garlic just scaped. I cut them all of
and they are slated for the dinner table.l

Isn't it a little early for scapes?

And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 18-06-2020, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:30:05 -0700, T wrote:

sn't it a little early for scapes?

I don't know where you are; my small patch of hardneck garlic hasn't
put up scapes yet, but expect them soon.

And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?

Sounds a little (not a lot) soon; I'd wait a bit. Perhaps the plants
were stressed for some reason. I know a fellow who gets his carrots
to bloom for seed by letting not watering- in the Nevada high desert,
where the only water they get is what he supplies- then starting water
to trigger their "Ohmigod, I'm going to die! Better start the next
generation NOW!"

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

Old 18-06-2020, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

My bogatyr garlic just scaped. I cut them all of
and they are slated for the dinner table.l

yum! i pulled some green garlic the other
day and just ate it right there.

Isn't it a little early for scapes?

And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?

it can vary. mine are just starting to get
scapes, so it will be a few weeks to a month yet
here and since i do let the scapes grow and get
bulbules on them i leave them a bit longer than
1/3, but as little as possible since it really
does start to affect the quality of the tunic.

i'll have to stop watering them in a few weeks.

so far this year has been about the opposite
of the past several years. which is ok but
different for sure. a lot of sunshine, things
are growin'...

songbird
Old 20-06-2020, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-06-18 10:30, T wrote:
Hi All,

My bogatyr garlic just scaped.Â* I cut them all of
and they are slated for the dinner table.l

Isn't it a little early for scapes?

And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?

Many thanks,
-T

Huh. This years scapez are very woody. Like a garlic
flavored toothpick. Will they still cook up?

Old 20-06-2020, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Huh. This years scapez are very woody. Like a garlic
flavored toothpick. Will they still cook up?

i've not cooked them before.

songbird

Garlic scapes [email protected] Edible Gardening 4 30-06-2017 03:37 AM
Scapes! :D Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2007 05:29 PM
Tough scapes Bill Edible Gardening 4 13-06-2004 12:03 AM
scapes IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 6 04-06-2003 04:08 PM