Old 26-06-2020, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping Songbird: onion seeds

Hi Songbird,

These are what my green onion flowers look like now.
They are 2 to 3" balls. Is it time to shot off the
top 12"?

https://ibb.co/Bw13wgf

-T
Old 26-06-2020, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi Songbird,

These are what my green onion flowers look like now.
They are 2 to 3" balls. Is it time to shot off the
top 12"?

https://ibb.co/Bw13wgf

i'd let them go a bit longer, when those green
pods start splitting open then you will see some
black seeds. that is when i normally would cut
off the flower head and put it in a box top to
finish drying.

songbird
Old 26-06-2020, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-06-26 03:52, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi Songbird,

These are what my green onion flowers look like now.
They are 2 to 3" balls. Is it time to shot off the
top 12"?

https://ibb.co/Bw13wgf

i'd let them go a bit longer, when those green
pods start splitting open then you will see some
black seeds. that is when i normally would cut
off the flower head and put it in a box top to
finish drying.

songbird

Thank you!

You remarked about bees liking these things, every
flying bug goes after them!

Does the plant die after I harvest the tops? Or
does this happen every year?
Old 27-06-2020, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Thank you!

You remarked about bees liking these things, every
flying bug goes after them!

Does the plant die after I harvest the tops? Or
does this happen every year?

onions are normally biennials (takes two years to
go from seed to seed).

sometimes you can get bits of the plant to keep
growing longer and splitting off more bulbs but it
may not persist for forever so keep some seeds from
each season and plant a few to keep the plant line
going if you value it.

it seems i mostly grow bunching onions here as bee
forage and entertainment and decoration. for some
reason i have a block on harvesting and eating them.
i just don't know what to do with these plants and i
don't cook with them at all right now. i need to
sometime i just don't actually get around to it.
haha, people can be funny creatures. ...

in this case with these particular bunching onions
i think it is because they are so different from what
i expected that i really should (and have tried) to
get a different kind going too - one's that i'd
actually eat.

songbird

PING songbird Snag Edible Gardening 4 02-06-2020 08:24 PM
Ping Songbird: onion seeds T[_4_] Edible Gardening 5 10-05-2020 07:02 AM
Ping Songbird: what variety of garlic do yo grow? T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 30-06-2018 03:49 AM
Ping songbird Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 10 30-05-2018 05:34 PM
ping songbird: a theory to run by you T[_4_] Edible Gardening 23 02-09-2016 09:30 PM