Old 30-06-2020, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Carrot Transplants

My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul
Old 30-06-2020, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 12:31:27 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul

That usually happens when your soil has too much nitrogen.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

i think you need a long cell to get this to work.

short cells will feedback too much to the root (giving
it information about context and make the root split up
instead of keeping going down).

all IMO. i am not a carrot expert, but i've seen root
systems of queen-annes-lace for many years in many
contexts...

songbird
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-06-30 09:31, Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul

Not to ask too dump a question, but do the taste good?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 7:25:01 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

i think you need a long cell to get this to work.

short cells will feedback too much to the root (giving
it information about context and make the root split up
instead of keeping going down).

all IMO. i am not a carrot expert, but i've seen root
systems of queen-annes-lace for many years in many
contexts...

songbird

Sounds reasonable; she said she just wanted to try that and will be planting them directly into the garden from now on. We dug a carrot bed down about two feet and backfilled with sand, dirt, and compost, tilling it all into a mixture that should let them grow without restriction.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-06-30 09:31, Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul

Not to ask too dump a question, but do the taste good?

I asked her how they tasted and she said, "You should know, you've been eating them for dinner all week." I thought the carrots were very good so I guess the shape doesn't matter once you've cut them into segments.

Paul
Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-06-30 09:31, Pavel314 wrote:
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots, some of which are curved.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Paul

Not to ask too dump a question, but do the taste good?

I asked her how they tasted and she said, "You should know, you've been eating them for dinner all week." I thought the carrots were very good so I guess the shape doesn't matter once you've cut them into segments.

Paul

When seeing garden fresh vegi first hand, they are not
all perfect, like in the stores. I presume the ugly
ones are sent to food processors (soup, frozen vegies,
etc.).

And hey, I don't care. The ugly ones from my garden
taste 100 times better than the store.

I still believe the reason why folks don't eat vegi's
is that the taste like crap (from the store). Does
not help if they ever had kale or arugula forced on them.

Arugula. YUK! Tastes like stale radishes with a
persistent aftertaste of fart.YUK! YUK! YUK!
YUK! YUK!

Give some of those ugly carrots!