Old 09-07-2020, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Question about regular peas

This might be stupid and sound like a troll but it's not
and a serious question.

Many times in the past, we picked peas from a local farm.
Would come home and "shell" them for the peas inside.
The pods looked pretty nice and a shame to toss out which
we did.

My question is: are those pods edible too?
Talking about "regular" peas here.
If so, couldn't you just slice them like green beans
and eat pod with peas inside?
Just like you do with snow peas.

Maybe not as I've never seen them sold commercially, canned
or frozen, still in the pods.

Are those pods food or fertilizer for the next year?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary wrote in :

This might be stupid and sound like a troll but it's not
and a serious question.

Many times in the past, we picked peas from a local farm.
Would come home and "shell" them for the peas inside.
The pods looked pretty nice and a shame to toss out which
we did.

My question is: are those pods edible too?
Talking about "regular" peas here.
If so, couldn't you just slice them like green beans
and eat pod with peas inside?
Just like you do with snow peas.

You could try it. I don't think you'll suffer any harm, but I think you'll
find those posds are not very pleasant to eat.

Maybe not as I've never seen them sold commercially, canned
or frozen, still in the pods.

Are those pods food or fertilizer for the next year?

They could be composted.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 09:59:48 -0400, Gary wrote:

My question is: are those pods edible too?
Talking about "regular" peas here.

Too tough; perhaps if you're making veggie broth....

I'm growing "English" peas for the first time; have always liiked
Sugar Snaps. These are part of a "Citizen Science*" project: 3
varieties grown and compared. What I notice is that fresh peas are
_way_ better than frozen. I can't even talk about canned without
dipping in to my old Navy vocabulary...

See seedlinked.org.

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

Old 10-07-2020, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary wrote:
Many times in the past, we picked peas from a local farm.
Would come home and "shell" them for the peas inside.
The pods looked pretty nice and a shame to toss out which
we did.

My question is: are those pods edible too?

pod edibility depends upon variety of pea.
some are very delicious and others aren't that
good at all.

when they dry some peas are really good for
making soup and others aren't as good but can
be used in case of starvation. mostly though
these types of peas are best eaten when they
are still forming in the pod when the peas are
very tender and sweet. some of these peas are
also good as pods (steamed or fresh).

Talking about "regular" peas here.

there are many different varieties of peas.

If so, couldn't you just slice them like green beans
and eat pod with peas inside?
Just like you do with snow peas.

yes, the other day i ate a few of these pods
right from the garden.

http://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/t...d_Peas_thm.jpg

Maybe not as I've never seen them sold commercially, canned
or frozen, still in the pods.

peas are best eaten fresh from the garden (standing in
the garden in my experience). same with pea pods. i
much prefer them uncooked and crunchy. peas in the pods
can vary by how long they remain in an edible form in
the pods. some peas will turn bitter and hard so they
aren't as good as when they first form in the pod. some
peas aren't all that great within a few days of forming
and others can last longer and still be quite good. just
variations upon the type of pea.

canned peas are gross. i'll eat them if i'm starving
but otherwise prefer other forms. frozen is acceptable
but fresh is always better. sometimes we shell them out
and steam them for a few minutes and put a bit of butter
on them.

Are those pods food or fertilizer for the next year?

all debris from garden plants are future plant food.

songbird
Old 10-07-2020, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Alfred Falk wrote:
You could try it. I don't think you'll suffer any harm, but I think you'll
find those posds are not very pleasant to eat.

it really depends upon the variety of pea.

some pods are great and best used well before
the seeds inside develop much at all. others are
good later and as the pods fill out and the seeds
get plump.

and then there are others that the peas are
best left to get fully formed and dried down so
the peas can be cooked into soups.

some peas are good in all forms.

Maybe not as I've never seen them sold commercially, canned
or frozen, still in the pods.

Are those pods food or fertilizer for the next year?

They could be composted.

worms will take care of 'em. i keep worms here
and they will compost pea pods from the previous summer
by the following spring.

songbird

Old 10-07-2020, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:

Gary wrote:
My question is: are those pods edible too?
Talking about "regular" peas here.

Too tough; perhaps if you're making veggie broth....

That's a good thought - to add them when making broth
then discarded later.

And yes, I'm talking about fresh peas (and pods) right
from the plant. Rather than "shelling" the peas and
ignore those fresh pods. Seemed a waste to not maybe
eat them.

Thanks to all that responded here.