Old 27-07-2020, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Maybe OT: Apple Tree Damage

I was going to get the morning papers the other day when I noticed that the apple tree in the corner of the yard looked strange; it was fuzzy on one side but had full leaves on the other. When I got closer, I saw that on the "fuzzy" side, the leaves had been eaten away except for the main vein that runs up from the branch through the center of the leave. It hadn't been like that the morning before so either a flock of locusts came through during the day or night and ate the leaves. No sight of any bugs around or on the tree.

The "fuzzy" area was 6-10 feet above the ground. None of the other trees had been damaged and there was no damage on the normal, fully-leaved side of the tree. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

Paul

Old 27-07-2020, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2020 7:18 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I was going to get the morning papers the other day when I noticed that the apple tree in the corner of the yard looked strange; it was fuzzy on one side but had full leaves on the other. When I got closer, I saw that on the "fuzzy" side, the leaves had been eaten away except for the main vein that runs up from the branch through the center of the leave. It hadn't been like that the morning before so either a flock of locusts came through during the day or night and ate the leaves. No sight of any bugs around or on the tree.

The "fuzzy" area was 6-10 feet above the ground. None of the other trees had been damaged and there was no damage on the normal, fully-leaved side of the tree. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

Paul

Likely due to tent caterpillars. They love apple trees and this is the
right time of the year for them to hatch and crawl up the tree to begin
eating leaves and making a large web nest.

Paul
Old 27-07-2020, 09:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Paul Drahn wrote:
On 7/26/2020 7:18 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I was going to get the morning papers the other day when I noticed that the apple tree in the corner of the yard looked strange; it was fuzzy on one side but had full leaves on the other. When I got closer, I saw that on the "fuzzy" side, the leaves had been eaten away except for the main vein that runs up from the branch through the center of the leave. It hadn't been like that the morning before so either a flock of locusts came through during the day or night and ate the leaves. No sight of any bugs around or on the tree.

The "fuzzy" area was 6-10 feet above the ground. None of the other trees had been damaged and there was no damage on the normal, fully-leaved side of the tree. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

arg! drats!

Likely due to tent caterpillars. They love apple trees and this is the
right time of the year for them to hatch and crawl up the tree to begin
eating leaves and making a large web nest.

that's about what i thought too.

songbird
Old 27-07-2020, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

There's no web, otherwise I would have suspected tent caterpillars. I keep checking the tree to see if anything unusual is hanging around out there.

Paul
Old 27-07-2020, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/27/2020 1:48 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The web will come later when the little buggers have grown.

Paul