Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping songbird: stirup hoe

Hi Songbird,

That you for the stirup hoe recommendation. I got
me a Jonhnny Appleseed five incher.

Before I water and the ground is still dry, I give
my weeds a hair cut. And the purslane, which been a
weed and requiring disturbed soil, loves the results.

And the Dandelions keep coming back, but smaller
and smaller each hair cut.

I had about given up.

Oh and the strirup hoe is a perfect upper body
exercise and lowers my blood glucose by
about 15 points.

Plus IT IS FUN TO KILL WEEDS with the thing.
The garden weeds have been paying a heavy
price. maniacal laughter

:-)

-T
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Plus IT IS FUN TO KILL WEEDS with the thing.
The garden weeds have been paying a heavy
price. maniacal laughter

:-)

i'm glad it is working out. the best tool is
one that you will use.

i keep up a lot of gardens by using one and
for a bare dirt garden or even for stirring
some of the mulches it works as it should. we
have two of them now because i bought one for
Mom when it was on sale for $8.

i do still have to remove some weeds here or
there, but for the most part i leave them to
dry out on the surface and to become worm food.

we're now getting into crab grass season to
where if i've missed any it will have seeds on
it so if i'm trying to reduce the population i
have to remove the chopped off weeds to the weed
pile where the birds can pick at them and eat
the seeds if they'd like.

and yes, we also have a lot of purselane which
i have to keep after, but if you stir it and the
sun is out it will eventually give up. just have
to make sure to get it before it starts setting
seeds. i wish i could get the regular moss roses
of the various colors to grow here as well as the
purselane, but it has not ever worked out that
well. at least they are both edible in an
emergency.

songbird
Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-07-31 21:55, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

I eat the purslane. And I want it out there to keep the
dust and weeds down.

Purslane taste like watercress. And it great in salads
or as garnish for steaks, etc.. And it is a Keto free
food. Plus it has extraordinary nutrition creds.