Old 03-08-2020, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rosemary and Green Onion babble.

Hi All,

Just some small black thumb gardening talk:

I have been watering my rosemary plant more and it
has seems to give me better cooking sprigs. I
use some to cook pork chops. I have yet to
try chicken.

Is watering all there was to it?

I cut off the seed balls from my green onions (scallions)
as a Songbird directed me. That left two foot long
open at the top 1/2" tubes. The plants just stayed
that way for two weeks. Then a couple of thunderstorms
filled the tubes with water and nasty looking
things took up residence in the tubes. So I cut the
tubes off down by the base where they were solid.

Then something wonderful happened. This week I go out
and the plants had all sprung up two foot leaves.
A lot of them. And the winds had blown a few over.
Since they were not doing the plant any good that
way, I harvested them. Had some for breakfast.

This is marvelous. I thought the plant would just
slowly die, having flowered. And being that
I have trouble getting regular onions to bulb (too
short a growing season) and these things grow all
winter long, they may be the perfect substitute
for regular onions until I get regular onions
figured out.

Life is good. Thriving, not just surviving.

-T

Old 03-08-2020, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

knocking the stalks over after cutting the flower
heads off will prevent that.

when the onions stalks start falling over on their
own that is usually a sign that bulbing onions are
mostly ready. it is happening here now and the onions
aren't all that big compared to other years but i'll
just tell Mom to use those first as they happen.

we eat a lot of onions.

i'm learning too as we go along.

songbird
Old 03-08-2020, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-08-02 21:30, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

On my yellow onions, I have been pulling out the runs
and using them like green onions. It is occurring to
me if I can't get the overwinter bulb onions right,
I might as well just grown green onions!

I saute my onions in butter, then serve them with
some kind of meat or in a salad. I also sprinkle
them over chicken when I am cooking chicken.
They are too string to server raw. The give
you an ice cream headache, without the ice cream!

Looked up walking onions after you mentioned them.
The bulbs are above ground? That I have to see!!!
Which ones are you growing?

Old 03-08-2020, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On my yellow onions, I have been pulling out the runs
and using them like green onions. It is occurring to
me if I can't get the overwinter bulb onions right,
I might as well just grown green onions!

I saute my onions in butter, then serve them with
some kind of meat or in a salad. I also sprinkle
them over chicken when I am cooking chicken.
They are too string to server raw. The give
you an ice cream headache, without the ice cream!

Looked up walking onions after you mentioned them.
The bulbs are above ground? That I have to see!!!
Which ones are you growing?

these aren't walking onions, they are bulb onions
which were not planted deeply enough, i think that is
mostly why they didn't get very big this year. we
sure had plenty of sunshine and i watered them
regularly. also the garden soil they were planted
in was pretty good. they're still rather green and
perhaps those that haven't fallen over yet will
continue growing and getting bigger. they are called
Kelsae Giant Sweet onions. i've had some pretty big
before (over 8 inches across), but this year most of
them are going to be only 5 or so inches. we buy
them as already started plants so they get put in
when we plant the rest of the starts from the green-
house towards the end of May. they would likely do
better if they were put in a few weeks or maybe even
a month earlier.

our late summer weather is often not very dry out
there so getting them from the gardens and cured
well enough for longer term storage is a challenge.
it often happens that we just have to eat them up.
we make some big pots of onion soup or onion mushroom
soup and then freeze portions of that to eat through
the winter or they can get used in other things.

songbird