GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moby Grape Tomato (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/217165-re-moby-grape-tomato.html)

[email protected] 08-08-2020 12:38 AM

Moby Grape Tomato

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 9:14:12 PM UTC-6, DJ wrote:
Hello;

I recently purchased a Moby Grape tomato plant. The marker said it will
produce 10oz. grape tomatoes. I've never heard of this variety before and
the nursery wasn't much help. I've searched the Web but came up with
nothing.

Can anyone point me to some info on this variety?

Thanks

I have faithfully watered my plant with the rest of my garden for going on 3 months now. I get lots of blossoms but NEVER a tomato. Everything else in my garden in flourishing.

songbird[_2_] 08-08-2020 12:32 PM

Moby Grape Tomato

I have faithfully watered my plant with the rest of my garden for going on 3 months now. I get lots of blossoms but NEVER a tomato. Everything else in my garden in flourishing.

are you always watering from the bottom and never
getting the top of the plant?

is it protected from the wind and the rain?

are you not seeing any bees or other pollinators
on the plant?

if all of these are about the conditions you may
help the plant out by going out and shaking it or
dinging the flowers with your finger.

while it may encourage disease problems it can
also help to spray the tomato plant with the hose.
best done in the morning while it is still cool
enough and then let it dry off.

songbird

[email protected] 08-08-2020 07:35 PM

Moby Grape Tomato

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 8:51:20 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
I have faithfully watered my plant with the rest of my garden for going on 3 months now. I get lots of blossoms but NEVER a tomato. Everything else in my garden in flourishing.

are you always watering from the bottom and never
getting the top of the plant?

is it protected from the wind and the rain?

are you not seeing any bees or other pollinators
on the plant?

if all of these are about the conditions you may
help the plant out by going out and shaking it or
dinging the flowers with your finger.

while it may encourage disease problems it can
also help to spray the tomato plant with the hose.
best done in the morning while it is still cool
enough and then let it dry off.

songbird

One other point: if it has been above 90F the pollen is sterile so no fruits will be set.
Steve