Old 11-08-2020, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomato harvest and other things

tomatoes starting to get red enough to pick some. for
the first pick we had a five gallon bucket and i turned
most of them into tomato juice. we did eat a half dozen
tomatoes. cherry tomatoes we've picked a few quarts and
those we didn't eat right away went into the juice jars.

cucumbers still coming in more than we can really use
but we give them away. the really big ones that cannot
be used we put under the lilac tree for the worms to
recycle.

onions can be picked when needed for the next few weeks
and then after that i'll have to get them cured for
storage if we don't plan on eating them soon enough. in
normal years we can eat them up fairly quickly as we do
eat a lot of onions.

i can pick fresh beans every day but it has been a
crazy few weeks so i'm not getting out each day to pick.
it isn't a major problem either way as we do like the
dry beans too.

squash and melons doing ok. pictures would be nice
if i can get out there to do it.

i've had to do more mowing here the past few months and
it reminds me of how much i'd rather be gardening instead.

as we get things harvested and processed i'm going to be
able to gradually reclaim a garden that has been taken over
by weeds the past few years (due to me getting behind
because of injuries and also trying to get big projects
done). the other day i was able to finally get a half hour
project done in that area which makes it look a bit neater.
sometimes you just have to keep chipping away...

what are you up to? how is the harvest going?

songbird
Old 11-08-2020, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 7:55:53 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
[...]

My wife has been picking tomatoes and freezing spaghetti sauce. She plants small plots of corn every other week so we have a regular supply of fresh corn-on-the-cob for dinner. We picked the cabbage and made this year's batch of sauerkraut last month.

The recent rains really perked up the pumpkin patch and there are several large melons ripening as well.

We just started splitting firewood from the big pile of logs out back. We have enough for the coming year but are stocking up for the winter after that. I'm looking forward to an end to all this heat and humidity.

Paul
Old 12-08-2020, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
My wife has been picking tomatoes and freezing spaghetti sauce. She plants small plots of corn every other week so we have a regular supply of fresh corn-on-the-cob for dinner. We picked the cabbage and made this year's batch of sauerkraut last month.

mmm!

The recent rains really perked up the pumpkin patch and there are several large melons ripening as well.

the melons here are still green and shiny so i think i
have some time yet before we start to try them. i've had
to read up on them since i've not grown these particular
melons before (plus i've not grown melons much at all to
begin with since my first few attempts ended up giving
such poor results).

We just started splitting firewood from the big pile of logs out back. We have enough for the coming year but are stocking up for the winter after that. I'm looking forward to an end to all this heat and humidity.

yeah, the hot weather has made things difficult for us
this season too in varying ways. mid day siesta and AC
are pretty much required now.

be careful out there! make sure to drink enough water
and to not overdo it. i'd wait for cooler weather since
you already have enough put by.

songbird
Old 14-08-2020, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

providing induced-draft combustion air directly to the heater's intake
via a separate (and, so far, vermin-proof) underground duct. It looks
weird but it works. Man, Rube Goldberg's got nothing on my old ass!

i can't even imagine that! congrats on stumping me!

Fall ( well, early Autumn) typically is the start of the gardening
year in these parts, provided the wearher has cooled enough (and the
rain has stopped and the hurricanes/tropical storms have calmed a bit)
and for the third consecutive season I find myself not even close to
ready. Who knew such a simple task as pulling Spanish needles could be
such a chore? I won't be putting any energy into growing corn this
year—or ever!—but,man, could I ever use a batch of fresh collards; or
"little marvel" peas, or carrots, or turnips, or spinach....

or fresh beans or cucumbers? those we have plenty of
and i'd be glad to be able to give you some but you are
a boatload of miles away. the tomatoes we are currently
hoarding until we know what we have put up will be enough.
i even put out a few rat traps this afternoon to see if
i could discourage a chewing marauder to find another
place to exercise those teeth. we've lost a few tomatoes
to whatever it is (likely a raccoon, but i'm not exactly
sure yet).

today i picked some of the first dried beans and shelled
a few just to see what they were and how they were.

always a nice time of year when it starts to finally
cool off a bit and the days aren't quite so long and there
is a chance of some cooler weather on the way. this week
we may even get down into the low 70s as a high
temperature.

i also sacrificed a melon today to see if it was getting
ripe enough already. i was hoping it was done enough, but
it wasn't. one way to learn, by experience... the worms
will be happy to take care of it, i ate a little but it
wasn't very much of anything in flavor. i did keep some
of the seeds and planted the rest to see if any of them
will sprout.

songbird
Old 16-08-2020, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

No. Too early. In the fall, I'm planting those crops mentioned in
anticipation of the cooler weather in which they thrive. Many years, I
can get two crops of most of that stuff. Remember: This part of the
country does not have winter as you know it.

i don't think we have much for winters any more
we've hardly had to shovel snow, both of us need
the exercise. all winter we stand by the window
with the shovel in our hands just hoping for some
real action. j/k...

In late spring (late
February or early March), when the weather is warming and days getting
longer, it'll be time for beans cucurbits and other "warm season"
veggies. If I time it just right and the weather cooperates, I can
squeeze in another bunch of peas. Most years, I can get two crops of
tomatoes, too, although the fall crop is subject to "early" freezes (I
think I sent you photos of December freeze-damaged tomatoes.). As a
rule, we don't get freezing temperatures until late January or early
February but there is the occasional surprise to combat complacency.

i had a good pea season this year, but i didn't have
enough room and should have only planted a few varieties
instead of a bunch all packed into a small area.

i didn't plant any late season peas, i've just never
had all that great luck with them turning out to be all
that edible so i'd rather save the seeds for the next
season instead.

songbird