#1   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2020, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
Default Too Many Melons

I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

Paul

  #2   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2020, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,992
Default Too Many Melons

Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.


i'm worried about that problem happening here too.

i'd say that is a good problem to have if you can
find people who want them.

i've also thought if it would be possible to juice
them...


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2020, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Too Many Melons

On 2020-08-20 07:19, Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

Paul


My best cantaloupe was one one melon and it was the
size of a baseball.

What variety did you grow?

What kind of fertilizer did you use?

  #4   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2020, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
Default Too Many Melons

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 1:11:44 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

i'm worried about that problem happening here too.

i'd say that is a good problem to have if you can
find people who want them.

i've also thought if it would be possible to juice
them...


songbird


I searched online and found a lot of recipes for cantaloupe pies, salads, jams, etc. My wife isn't interested in any of those. I may try making a batch of cantaloupe wine.

Paul
  #5   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2020, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
Default Too Many Melons

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 5:23:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 2020-08-20 07:19, Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

Paul

My best cantaloupe was one one melon and it was the
size of a baseball.

What variety did you grow?

What kind of fertilizer did you use?


I grew one hill of El Gordo melons; we just picked a 15 pound melon this morning. Another hill was just plain cantaloupes, I don't recall any special variety on those. Those are normal size, like what you get at the store.

I scattered sheep manure from the barn in the pumpkin patch and tilled it in well in the spring. When I planted the hills, I dug out a shovel full of dirt below each and filled the hole with compost. I also sprinkled a tablespoon or so of 10-10-10 into the hole but that was all the fertilizing I did..

We also have a very large pumpkin out there; the variety is called "First Prize" and is said to grow up to 300 pounds. Will let you know how that one turns out.

Paul


  #6   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2020, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Too Many Melons

On 2020-08-20 15:52, Pavel314 wrote:
On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 5:23:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 2020-08-20 07:19, Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

Paul

My best cantaloupe was one one melon and it was the
size of a baseball.

What variety did you grow?

What kind of fertilizer did you use?


I grew one hill of El Gordo melons; we just picked a 15 pound melon this morning. Another hill was just plain cantaloupes, I don't recall any special variety on those. Those are normal size, like what you get at the store.

I scattered sheep manure from the barn in the pumpkin patch and tilled it in well in the spring. When I planted the hills, I dug out a shovel full of dirt below each and filled the hole with compost. I also sprinkled a tablespoon or so of 10-10-10 into the hole but that was all the fertilizing I did.

We also have a very large pumpkin out there; the variety is called "First Prize" and is said to grow up to 300 pounds. Will let you know how that one turns out.

Paul


"sheep manure". That explains it.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 22-08-2020, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Default Too Many Melons

On 8/20/2020 7:19 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.

Paul

Frozen melon balls are great in fruit salad in the winter.


Paul
  #8   Report Post  
Old 24-08-2020, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Too Many Melons

On 2020-08-20 10:11, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a couple varieties of cantaloupe this year and they're all ripening at the same time. I think that next year, I'll plant a couple of hills in early May, like I did this year, then plant a couple more in mid- or late-May to spread out the harvest. The melons are very good but it's getting difficult to keep up with them. Fortunately, the sheep enjoy the excess.


i'm worried about that problem happening here too.

i'd say that is a good problem to have if you can
find people who want them.

i've also thought if it would be possible to juice
them...


songbird


Don't your worms like these things?
  #9   Report Post  
Old 25-08-2020, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,992
Default Too Many Melons

T wrote:
....melons...
Don't your worms like these things?


worms love melons/melon peels, but i only have ten
buckets and can't possibly keep up with 30 or more
melons (my last count for six plants).

the other day i was out checking the bean gardens
to see which were ready to pick (as dry beans). i
looked over and saw a melon that had formed between
two large rocks. it was more ripe and i could even
smell it so i picked it to see how it was.

it was excellent, perhaps a few more days and it
would have been perfect. flavor is not quite the
same as a standard cantaloupe/muskmelon - it has
hints of cotton candy flavor. very good. i'm sure
i'll have a ton of seeds.

i have to learn somehow. the first one i picked
way too green, it was barely edible in the center.
this second one was fully ripe in the center and only
a bit hard along the edges.

i'm going to have to give a lot of these away!


songbird
  #10   Report Post  
Old 25-08-2020, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Too Many Melons

On 2020-08-25 05:25, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
...melons...
Don't your worms like these things?


worms love melons/melon peels, but i only have ten
buckets and can't possibly keep up with 30 or more
melons (my last count for six plants).

the other day i was out checking the bean gardens
to see which were ready to pick (as dry beans). i
looked over and saw a melon that had formed between
two large rocks. it was more ripe and i could even
smell it so i picked it to see how it was.

it was excellent, perhaps a few more days and it
would have been perfect. flavor is not quite the
same as a standard cantaloupe/muskmelon - it has
hints of cotton candy flavor. very good. i'm sure
i'll have a ton of seeds.

i have to learn somehow. the first one i picked
way too green, it was barely edible in the center.
this second one was fully ripe in the center and only
a bit hard along the edges.

i'm going to have to give a lot of these away!


songbird


I am envious! I can't grow a melon for my life!

Then again, I can only eat three tablespoons of melon
a day do to my blood sugar, so it might be a good thing.

:'(



  #11   Report Post  
Old 28-08-2020, 09:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,992
Default Too Many Melons

Pavel314 wrote:
....
I searched online and found a lot of recipes for cantaloupe pies, salads, jams, etc. My wife isn't interested in any of those. I may try making a batch of cantaloupe wine.


like i suspected too many all at once. i have called
my friends to see how many they might come to pick up
today. there's probably six or more out there ready to
come in.

i picked three yesterday that were ready and all of
them were good. i ate half of one or more, but that's
about my limit for a day. the rest i cut up and we
have a container in the fridge that will last another
day or two.

out in the garden there is one that i missed picking
yesterday so either my friends will get it today or
i'll pick it to see how ripe it is at that color. it
is fully orange - that may be overripe.


songbird


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too many nuts, too little lawn searobin2319 Gardening 0 22-04-2004 06:02 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water???? Brad and Julie Vaughn Lawns 9 04-09-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 12:04 AM
Japanese Snails - How Many is too many? Sean R. Kerns Ponds 2 24-06-2003 02:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017