Old 14-10-2020, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default mulch question

Hi All,

I am suppose to put a bit of mulch over my over
winter onions to protect them from the elements.

I have pine needles and peat moss. Does both qualify?

-T
Old 14-10-2020, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am suppose to put a bit of mulch over my over
winter onions to protect them from the elements.

I have pine needles and peat moss. Does both qualify?

i wouldn't use peat moss at all. pine needles
will probably be ok. you can remove some or all
of them after the weather warms up again.

around here the ground freezes enough to only
leave plants outside that will survive the cold. if
they can't survive we eat them and save some for
spring to replant.

the garlic i grow can freeze completely and
do just fine. it's acclimated to the cold here as
it has been around for over 100yrs.

i have some small onion sprouts that may not
survive but we'll see what happens to them as i'm
not going to lift them or mulch them. maybe some
will get selected for those that can survive the
cold. snow cover can act as a good insulator but
most winters here haven't had all that much snow
the past several years.

songbird
Old 14-10-2020, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2020-10-13 20:35, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Pine needles it is.

Do I wait from the onions to sprout first?
Old 14-10-2020, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Do I wait from the onions to sprout first?

if it is going to be warm enough they'll
be easier to remove before they come up but
i am very lazy about such things so i'd end
up leaving them alone and eventually they
get broken down and mixed in.

the work with onions is keeping them happy
which means watered enough and weeded with
decent soil.

songbird