#1   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2020, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Default garlic question

My wife planted garlic in pots on the deck in early spring and got some
nice cloves of garlic.

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago. It is up
and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Can she just let it be and will it return next year and be OK?

  #2   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2020, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 136
Default garlic question

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 14:14:09 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago. It is up
and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Where are you? The rule of thumb I've heard is to plant 6-8 weeks
before the ground freezes. Some softneck types do well spring
planted.

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #3   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2020, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,072
Default garlic question

Frank wrote:

My wife planted garlic in pots on the deck in early spring and got some
nice cloves of garlic.

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago. It is up
and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Can she just let it be and will it return next year and be OK?


it really depends upon what kind of garlic it is and how
cold hardy it might be.

here i grow some hardneck garlic which can freeze and it
will be ok. i don't even mulch it. i probably would not
want to grow it in a pot, but otherwise it has been reliable
every season i've grown it for about 15yrs. some years i've
planted it the day before the ground has frozen and other
times it gets planted earlier (this year i got it planted
last week). it will grow as long as there is enough light
and it is warm enough, then after that if there is enough
snow cover it will stay green under the snow, but even if
there isn't any snow cover and it freezes back to the surface
it will recover once it warms up and then it grows until it
finishes.


songbird
  #4   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2020, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Default garlic question

On 10/29/2020 2:22 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 14:14:09 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago. It is up
and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Where are you? The rule of thumb I've heard is to plant 6-8 weeks
before the ground freezes. Some softneck types do well spring
planted.

We are in northern Delaware. From what Songbird says I guess we will
let it go and see what happens. She only has about a half dozen cloves
planted. We had a large garden years ago but shade and deer did it in.
  #5   Report Post  
Old 30-10-2020, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,112
Default garlic question

On 2020-10-29 11:14, Frank wrote:
My wife planted garlic in pots on the deck in early spring and got some
nice cloves of garlic.

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago.* It is up
and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Can she just let it be and will it return next year and be OK?


Hi Frank,

Check where she bought them from and see what zone they
are rated for.

I am zone 6b. My hard necks LOVE the snow and ice!

-T



  #6   Report Post  
Old 31-10-2020, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Default garlic question

On 10/30/2020 7:08 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-10-29 11:14, Frank wrote:
My wife planted garlic in pots on the deck in early spring and got
some nice cloves of garlic.

Now for some reason she planted more about a month or so ago.* It is
up and growing but freeze is expected this week.

Can she just let it be and will it return next year and be OK?


Hi Frank,

Check where she bought them from and see what zone they
are rated for.

I am zone 6b.** My hard necks LOVE the snow and ice!

-T

These were just grocery store bought for eating. Doubt that info would
be available.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 31-10-2020, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,072
Default garlic question

Frank wrote:
....
These were just grocery store bought for eating. Doubt that info would
be available.


likely a softneck garlic then. no idea how cold hardy
those might be planted in a pot, but you are far enough
south that perhaps they'll be ok.


songbird
  #8   Report Post  
Old 31-10-2020, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,112
Default garlic question

On 2020-10-31 10:29, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
...
These were just grocery store bought for eating. Doubt that info would
be available.


likely a softneck garlic then. no idea how cold hardy
those might be planted in a pot, but you are far enough
south that perhaps they'll be ok.


songbird


Maybe. We grow garlic out here on commercial farms. And
a lot for seeds too. Trying to figure out what variety
they are is TOP SECRET. The only thing I can tell you
about them is that they are soft neck.

I have a feral bin just for such silliness. I planted
green onion onions stubs from the grocery store and
two years later they are still going at it! At
Songbird's direction, I even collected seeds to try
to grow them legitimately this years.

I have some garlic in the feral bin that is three
years old. What a mess. Looks like grass growing
at this point. Grass shoots that taste like garlic.
Hmmmm..... Maybe I pick those???

Commercial growers are not going to choose things
that are hard to grow.

So basically what Songbird said. Give it a try! Love
to hear back on the results.
  #9   Report Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Default garlic question

On 10/31/2020 4:42 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-10-31 10:29, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
...
These were just grocery store bought for eating.* Doubt that info would
be available.


** likely a softneck garlic then.* no idea how cold hardy
those might be planted in a pot, but you are far enough
south that perhaps they'll be ok.


** songbird


Maybe.* We grow garlic out here on commercial farms. And
a lot for seeds too.** Trying to figure out what variety
they are is TOP SECRET.* The only thing I can tell you
about them is that they are soft neck.

I have a feral bin just for such silliness.* I planted
green onion onions stubs from the grocery store and
two years later they are still going at it!* At
Songbird's direction, I even collected seeds to try
to grow them legitimately this years.

I have some garlic in the feral bin that is three
years old.* What a mess.* Looks like grass growing
at this point.* Grass shoots that taste like garlic.
Hmmmm..... Maybe I pick those???

Commercial growers are not going to choose things
that are hard to grow.

So basically what Songbird said.* Give it a try!* Love
to hear back on the results.


Will let you know. The garlic, half dozen plants, is still flourishing
in a deck pot maybe because we have yet to have had a hard freeze.

For some reason she also planted a couple of cloves in a pot with a
little holly tree she has been nursing for a couple of years. She said
it looked drooping and told me to plant it in an open spot out front
under a Norway spruce. It was getting pot bound and cloves did not
want to be pulled so I left them. Will be interesting to see if they
survive too.
  #10   Report Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,072
Default garlic question

Frank wrote:
....
Will let you know. The garlic, half dozen plants, is still flourishing
in a deck pot maybe because we have yet to have had a hard freeze.

For some reason she also planted a couple of cloves in a pot with a
little holly tree she has been nursing for a couple of years. She said
it looked drooping and told me to plant it in an open spot out front
under a Norway spruce. It was getting pot bound and cloves did not
want to be pulled so I left them. Will be interesting to see if they
survive too.


don't be surprised if it does and for several years
after until the holly completely shades it out.

one thing about any allium family plant is that the
roots will attract worms (if they are around your area).

when i clean up the garlic and clip the roots and
stems off and also any dirt that comes off and extra
tunic (bulb wrapping) - all of that goes into the worm
farm here and the worms really like it. same for onion
peels, etc. i don't like to put a lot of onion stuff
in the worm buckets from when we cook, but if i can
dry it out completely that helps a lot.


songbird


  #11   Report Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 259
Default garlic question

On 11/2/2020 1:13 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
...
Will let you know. The garlic, half dozen plants, is still flourishing
in a deck pot maybe because we have yet to have had a hard freeze.

For some reason she also planted a couple of cloves in a pot with a
little holly tree she has been nursing for a couple of years. She said
it looked drooping and told me to plant it in an open spot out front
under a Norway spruce. It was getting pot bound and cloves did not
want to be pulled so I left them. Will be interesting to see if they
survive too.


don't be surprised if it does and for several years
after until the holly completely shades it out.

one thing about any allium family plant is that the
roots will attract worms (if they are around your area).

when i clean up the garlic and clip the roots and
stems off and also any dirt that comes off and extra
tunic (bulb wrapping) - all of that goes into the worm
farm here and the worms really like it. same for onion
peels, etc. i don't like to put a lot of onion stuff
in the worm buckets from when we cook, but if i can
dry it out completely that helps a lot.


songbird


Area I put the holly might get only few hours of sun every day but I
think it may thrive there.

We have a shade and deer problem but seeing good results wife had this
year and reading deer do not like garlic I think I will plant some next
year close to the house.

My neighbors got stuck in India last spring and most of the summer and I
planted his garden with tomatoes, squash, green beans and carrots and
deer ate everything to the ground.
  #12   Report Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,072
Default garlic question

Frank wrote:
....
Area I put the holly might get only few hours of sun every day but I
think it may thrive there.


i hope so!


We have a shade and deer problem but seeing good results wife had this
year and reading deer do not like garlic I think I will plant some next
year close to the house.


it won't keep deer from finding and eating other
plants. it doesn't deter them. some young deer will
still sample onions and garlic or any other plant we
grow here even if it is reputedly deer repellent or
resistant or not attractive to deer. the young ones
don't know better...


My neighbors got stuck in India last spring and most of the summer and I
planted his garden with tomatoes, squash, green beans and carrots and
deer ate everything to the ground.


fences help us here, but not everything is fenced so
we do get deer going through here at times and eating
anything they can find that they like. until i can get
a full enclosed fence put up they'll be around. i just
try to make it not so easy for them...


songbird
  #13   Report Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 330
Default garlic question

On Monday, November 2, 2020 at 6:51:20 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
...
Area I put the holly might get only few hours of sun every day but I
think it may thrive there.

i hope so!
We have a shade and deer problem but seeing good results wife had this
year and reading deer do not like garlic I think I will plant some next
year close to the house.

it won't keep deer from finding and eating other
plants. it doesn't deter them. some young deer will
still sample onions and garlic or any other plant we
grow here even if it is reputedly deer repellent or
resistant or not attractive to deer. the young ones
don't know better...
My neighbors got stuck in India last spring and most of the summer and I
planted his garden with tomatoes, squash, green beans and carrots and
deer ate everything to the ground.

fences help us here, but not everything is fenced so
we do get deer going through here at times and eating
anything they can find that they like. until i can get
a full enclosed fence put up they'll be around. i just
try to make it not so easy for them...


songbird


We were having trouble with deer until we got a motion sensor activated squirter for the garden. That kept them away.

Paul
  #14   Report Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,072
Default garlic question

Pavel314 wrote:
....
We were having trouble with deer until we got a motion sensor activated squirter for the garden. That kept them away.


the important key word there is "the".

for us there are many different gardens and about an
acre in size.

i have two edges fenced now with proper fencing for
a change so that has cut down on traffic a great deal,
but the deer can come in from the front, driveway and
from the south side which doesn't have a full fence on
it yet. eventually i hope to finish some more fence
that will enclose all the food gardens and some of the
front flower gardens.

if i stay on here longer term i'll be able to do what
i want. until then Mom rules and she doesn't want more
fences up to look at. anything i can do for now is
just improve what we have so that the rabbits and
groundhogs can't get through so easily.


songbird
  #15   Report Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,112
Default garlic question

On 2020-11-03 07:16, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
...
We were having trouble with deer until we got a motion sensor activated squirter for the garden. That kept them away.


the important key word there is "the".

for us there are many different gardens and about an
acre in size.

i have two edges fenced now with proper fencing for
a change so that has cut down on traffic a great deal,
but the deer can come in from the front, driveway and
from the south side which doesn't have a full fence on
it yet. eventually i hope to finish some more fence
that will enclose all the food gardens and some of the
front flower gardens.

if i stay on here longer term i'll be able to do what
i want. until then Mom rules and she doesn't want more
fences up to look at. anything i can do for now is
just improve what we have so that the rabbits and
groundhogs can't get through so easily.


songbird


The motion water gun sounds like a great idea!


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic question George.com Gardening 7 08-04-2007 07:58 PM
Garlic question Mary Fisher United Kingdom 9 28-07-2006 11:16 PM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017