GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bulk bean pics (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/217308-bulk-bean-pics.html)

songbird[_2_] 23-11-2020 03:21 PM

bulk bean pics

yesterday was a good day for taking a few pictures of the bulk beans
and getting the pictures edited and posted to the website. :)

this one shows the difference in color between the Purple Dove beans
grown in various locations. the lighter beans were grown in poorer
soil (with very little or no organic matter, clay and in some spots
very poorly drained). the darker beans were grown in the North Garden
which has actual loamy topsoil put down over the clay subsoil and that
area has had a lot of organic matter added and plenty more weeds buried
that grew there over the years. the two other pictures are just closer
shots of the lighter and darker ones. though if you look closely you
might notice that the darker beans are somewhat different from each
other too (by a little bit :) ).

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...Lineup_thm.jpg

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th..._Light_thm.jpg

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...e_Dark_thm.jpg

these are three other bulk beans Red Ryder, Fordhook Lima and Huey which
is a cross i've been working on to get it stable. this was the first
year i grew out enough to see how they did in multiple locations and
soil conditions but also testing how they did when interplanted with
Purple Dove.

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th..._Beans_thm.jpg

and a closer shot of Huey, notice the pinker color background when
compared to my other Tan Goats Eye bean that i normally grow instead (i
did grow some Tan Goats Eye beans too this year to make sure it wasn't a
soil or conditions variation). i'll put the link to the TGE beans here
just as an obvious comparison.

Huey is likely to become my main bulk small striped bean that i like to
use for making chili because it is firm and stands up to being cooked
a long time and it doesn't fall apart easily, plus i like how it looks
and grows (semi-runner) and it finishes pretty early and will work ok
as a shelly too (i think i'll have to verify this next year for sure).
since it is a cross from Red Ryder it has the characteristics i really
like from that plant (easy shelling, beans fall out of the pod easy
for dry and shelly stage, early, does well anyplace i plant it, etc).
this year i planted Huey alternating with Purple Dove and even in spite
of that it was pretty productive. i think next year i'll be block
planting it and should get double the harvest in the same area as i got
this season. note that while i'm not solely focussed on productivity
of a bean (i don't want to draw too many nutrients out of a garden at
one time) i do like it when a plant is moderately productive enough so
that i'm also not wasting the space and my efforts.

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...0_Huey_thm.jpg

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...an_Tan_thm.jpg

there's not too much else going on now other than when the weather
cooperates i'm trying to get a garden dug up and some flowers and
weeds removed from where they are trying to take over. at the rate
i'm going it will be sometime next May when i get this project
finished. that's ok. :)

i have some dry bean plants on the fence that need to be taken
off and today i may get some of that done now that the sun is out
and it won't be too windy or cold. at least if i just go out for
a half hour or so and then come in and get my hands warmed up
again.

songbird

T[_4_] 28-11-2020 05:24 AM

bulk bean pics

On 2020-11-23 06:21, songbird wrote:

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...an_Tan_thm.jpg

This one is my favorite picture of the bunch.
It shows and energy of things to come

songbird[_2_] 28-11-2020 06:03 AM

bulk bean pics

On 2020-11-23 06:21, songbird wrote:

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/th...an_Tan_thm.jpg

This one is my favorite picture of the bunch.
It shows and energy of things to come

that is a picture from some years ago, but they are
pretty beans and a closeup picture is nice. i almost
clipped a shot of the Huey beans to post as a comparison
but i didn't do it.

take a look at

www.anthive.com/project/beans :)

eventually i should have a lot more pictures posted there
but it may take me several months before i get them all done.
it is my winter project.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 28-11-2020 07:41 AM

bulk bean pics

T wrote:
My heart be still!

this is a friend's website for even more bean pictures. unlike
me he actually has his picture taking figured out. :)

http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/

i grow some of his beans out for him because he has so many
that he doesn't have room to grow all of them each season, plus
he likes to get them out to other people. :) he is the person
i've got the Purple Dove beans from and about 50 others.

songbird

T[_4_] 29-11-2020 03:09 AM

bulk bean pics

On 2020-11-27 22:41, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
My heart be still!

this is a friend's website for even more bean pictures. unlike
me he actually has his picture taking figured out. :)

http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/

i grow some of his beans out for him because he has so many
that he doesn't have room to grow all of them each season, plus
he likes to get them out to other people. :) he is the person
i've got the Purple Dove beans from and about 50 others.

songbird

Songbird,

It is a pretty picture, but your show more
energy of things to comes than his does.

It is like me holding a zucchini from the garden
in my hand a feeling the slicing, the olive oil,
the pan, the joy of sharing with a loved one.

His had some of that too, but when you kick it, you
bring out the soul. Don't discount yourself.
Just keep on what you are doing.

-T

songbird[_2_] 29-11-2020 03:02 PM

bulk bean pics

T wrote:
It is a pretty picture, but your show more
energy of things to comes than his does.

It is like me holding a zucchini from the garden
in my hand a feeling the slicing, the olive oil,
the pan, the joy of sharing with a loved one.

His had some of that too, but when you kick it, you
bring out the soul. Don't discount yourself.
Just keep on what you are doing.

well, thank you, those are nice words, but i
still have a lot to learn and have certain goals
still to reach. :)

here is the bean pic from last year that i liked
but it still has problems with lighting.

https://www.anthive.com/img/photogra..._There_thm.jpg

i think i posted that one before.

i need consistent lighting and color, white balance
and such. that is aside from the artistic or visual
aspects which i can do in different pictures apart
from capturing the collection and interesting beans
that show up.

i hope by the middle of winter i can get the whole
setup working so i can make actual progress instead of
thrashing around.

i have a few things i need to buy first and then
work with those. after things calm down a bit from
the Black Friday stuff and i can get back to work it
should improve.

songbird

Nyssa[_3_] 29-11-2020 07:06 PM

bulk bean pics

songbird wrote:

T wrote:
It is a pretty picture, but your show more
energy of things to comes than his does.

It is like me holding a zucchini from the garden
in my hand a feeling the slicing, the olive oil,
the pan, the joy of sharing with a loved one.

His had some of that too, but when you kick it, you
bring out the soul. Don't discount yourself.
Just keep on what you are doing.

well, thank you, those are nice words, but i
still have a lot to learn and have certain goals
still to reach. :)

here is the bean pic from last year that i liked
but it still has problems with lighting.

https://www.anthive.com/img/photogra...818-0400_185_G
etting_There_thm.jpg

i think i posted that one before.

i need consistent lighting and color, white balance
and such. that is aside from the artistic or visual
aspects which i can do in different pictures apart
from capturing the collection and interesting beans
that show up.

i hope by the middle of winter i can get the whole
setup working so i can make actual progress instead of
thrashing around.

i have a few things i need to buy first and then
work with those. after things calm down a bit from
the Black Friday stuff and i can get back to work it
should improve.

songbird

I've had similar problems doing food photography. Lighting,
presentation, and color correction among the problems
I'm seeing.

I've snagged a few books on food photography and hope
to find time over the winter to actually read some of
them and do some practicing with my complicated DSLR
that seems smarter than me.

Perhaps some of the hints and techniques in the food
photography books might point you in the right direction
to figure out how better to photograph your beans and
other garden-y things?

Nyssa, who never quite got the hang of her old Nikon
film SLR now has even more problems figuring out her
newer Nikon DSLR

songbird[_2_] 30-11-2020 02:24 PM

bulk bean pics

Nyssa wrote:
I've had similar problems doing food photography. Lighting,
presentation, and color correction among the problems
I'm seeing.

I've snagged a few books on food photography and hope
to find time over the winter to actually read some of
them and do some practicing with my complicated DSLR
that seems smarter than me.

Perhaps some of the hints and techniques in the food
photography books might point you in the right direction
to figure out how better to photograph your beans and
other garden-y things?

most of the time when i take pictures outside or the
less close up things i'm happy with how those turn out.
but i will certainly look into those topics. :)

as for color balance and lighting they have a few
gadgets for that which help (a color chart/card with
the black and white squares for white balance) and
one which lets you adjust your screen so it is showing
colors closer to what you are seeing.

those are two of the gadgets i'll be adding to the
things here.

the other items i need would be some barriers to
block light coming in from the windows and patio door
so that the light is more consistent and those will
also be white reflecting surfaces to help even out
shadows and reflections.

i was hoping for just a bit more depth of field on
the macro zoom lens so we'll see if i can get that or
not and if not, do i want to use a different lens
instead or what.

Nyssa, who never quite got the hang of her old Nikon
film SLR now has even more problems figuring out her
newer Nikon DSLR

i'm happy with most of how the new camera is working
out, but yes, plenty to learn.

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 30-11-2020 02:52 PM

bulk bean pics

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Nyssa wrote:
[...]

Another thing to consider is the total composition of the picture, after such things as light and color as mentioned above. I've learned over the years to take several pictures of something then keep the best. While focusing on the pumpkin, I'd sometimes overlook the fact that my shadow was in the picture, distracting from the subject. Or some shots might use the light better than others to get a better image of the subject.

Or a wide shot might include something you don't want to include, like a garbage can or a pile of discarded landscape fabric. On the other hand, sometimes you get a lucky accident, like the time I took a picture of our newly-constructed greenhouse just as our black cat was walking past the doorway.

Paul

songbird[_2_] 02-12-2020 03:22 PM

bulk bean pics

Pavel314 wrote:
Another thing to consider is the total composition of the picture, after such things as light and color as mentioned above. I've learned over the years to take several pictures of something then keep the best. While focusing on the pumpkin, I'd sometimes overlook the fact that my shadow was in the picture, distracting from the subject. Or some shots might use the light better than others to get a better image of the subject.

Or a wide shot might include something you don't want to include, like a garbage can or a pile of discarded landscape fabric. On the other hand, sometimes you get a lucky accident, like the time I took a picture of our newly-constructed greenhouse just as our black cat was walking past the doorway.

yes, sure. :)

with the images i'll mostly be after when taking pictures
of the beans, the most important aspects are color and
lighting consistency. to me those are unlikely to be very
artistic pictures in terms of the wider composition because
i want the beans themselves to be captured accurately and
to have a record of them for future reference. i have
about 400 pictures of this sort i need to do.

once i have that figured out i can think of other
arrangements and composition. :)

songbird

T[_4_] 05-12-2020 07:15 AM

bulk bean pics

On 2020-11-29 06:02, songbird wrote:
https://www.anthive.com/img/photogra..._There_thm.jpg

That is the energy I am talking about! Your
heart and spirit races with wonder and
things to come, like a delicious pot of
bean chili!

T[_4_] 05-12-2020 07:30 AM

bulk bean pics

Hi Songbird,

A lady I work for is an extraordinary photographer.
She told me a real close up captures the spirit a lot
better than a far away shot with a zoom lens.

She also told me to not put the main object in the
center, but to divide the canvas into three sections
and place the main object along one of the third line.

Here are some examples of one my better shots she coaches
me through:

https://ibb.co/VVVhF4V
https://ibb.co/0MQsCV3
https://ibb.co/WsjvtKN
https://ibb.co/kcDgZq9

And now for a bad example. It shows the difference
between getting right up on your subject and zooming
on your subject. Make pretty flowers look like a weed.
And it is the same plant as three of the above.

https://ibb.co/J5BdN7J

And it really, really helps if the sun cooperates!

:-)

-T

songbird[_2_] 06-12-2020 12:31 AM

bulk bean pics

On 2020-11-29 06:02, songbird wrote:
https://www.anthive.com/img/photogra..._There_thm.jpg

That is the energy I am talking about! Your
heart and spirit races with wonder and
things to come, like a delicious pot of
bean chili!

ha! i just love the fact that all of those beans came
from one parent seed (and i'm still finding more).

songbird

songbird[_2_] 06-12-2020 12:35 AM

bulk bean pics

T wrote:
Hi Songbird,

A lady I work for is an extraordinary photographer.
She told me a real close up captures the spirit a lot
better than a far away shot with a zoom lens.

for some subjects that is true. :)

a number of pictures i take the entire context is
a large part of why i'm taking the picture to begin
with so knowing the goals of the photographer for
the picture can help you decide if they've accomplished
them or not.

She also told me to not put the main object in the
center, but to divide the canvas into three sections
and place the main object along one of the third line.

yes, that is a commonly used technique. note that
there is a big difference in the kinds of pictures i
take. some are merely record keeping, what got done
where or where i've planted something or similar. then
there are other pictures where i'm more concerned
about composition.

Here are some examples of one my better shots she coaches
me through:

https://ibb.co/VVVhF4V
https://ibb.co/0MQsCV3
https://ibb.co/WsjvtKN
https://ibb.co/kcDgZq9

And now for a bad example. It shows the difference
between getting right up on your subject and zooming
on your subject. Make pretty flowers look like a weed.
And it is the same plant as three of the above.

https://ibb.co/J5BdN7J

And it really, really helps if the sun cooperates!

:-)

yeah, i missed out on some wonderful sunset pictures
a few weeks ago.

songbird