Old 10-12-2020, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How to inspire confidence!

Hi All,

I had a start when I saw this!

https://www.groworganic.com/collecti...ost-1-cubic-ft

"Note: While screened through a 1/4 inch mesh, this
green waste compost may still contain small amounts
of non-organic foreign objects (glass, metal,
plastic, wood, etc). Accordingly, always use gloves
when handling it. Furthermore, check its internal
temperature before amending with it to ensure that
it has cooled down enough for your purpose.

Use gloves! glass, metal, plastic, wood, etc!

Someone should have told them that beer bottles and
beer cans and left over cars parts DO NOT GO INTO THE
COMPOSTER!

Yikes!

-T
Old 10-12-2020, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I had a start when I saw this!

https://www.groworganic.com/collecti...ost-1-cubic-ft

"Note: While screened through a 1/4 inch mesh, this
green waste compost may still contain small amounts
of non-organic foreign objects (glass, metal,
plastic, wood, etc). Accordingly, always use gloves
when handling it. Furthermore, check its internal
temperature before amending with it to ensure that
it has cooled down enough for your purpose.

Use gloves! glass, metal, plastic, wood, etc!

Someone should have told them that beer bottles and
beer cans and left over cars parts DO NOT GO INTO THE
COMPOSTER!

Yikes!

the unfortunate things that happen to municipal waste. i've
seen it first hand. you do not ever want to take compost from
any facility without personally inspecting the load they are
bringing first.

that is why i largely stopped taking bags of leaves from
some people because of the crap that was in them. but it was
not the only issue i had because i had some compost delivered
and made the mistake of not inspecting it first. i'm still
picking glass, metal and plastic out of my gardens from that
10yrs later.

if you are looking for compost i suggest finding someone
who does tree and/or lawn services and asking them if they
have any wood/tree/shrub chippings and that if it was clean
you would be happy to take it for free or even to pay them
a small amount. since some of these places have to pay to
drop off materials in some areas this is often a good thing
for them.

the other approach is to find a wood/lumber mill type
place that does their own wood chipping. we've done a lot
of this the past few years and the quality is much more
predictable, but you lose out on variety of materials and
nutrition/trace nutrient content (because ground up green
bark and wood stuff and leaves means more nutrients and
also diversity).

i still will gladly take organic materials like chunks
of wood and wood chips and leaves from people here in
trade for garden goodies, but i always insist on inspecting
it first before they bring it and/or dump it.

once it's in a garden and if it is a mess then it is
way too hard to take it back out. same for weed seeds that
can be brought in.

properly composted though at a high enough temperature
the weed seed issue can somewhat be taken care of, but do
not count on that happening for each and every weed seed
so you do have to keep an eye on any garden you use any
new amendment on. this would be the same for any garden
you use new seeds on when they've been bought in bulk and
some weeds seeds may be in there.

ok, that's a lot to read, but i had a few minutes to
type. good luck,

songbird
Old 11-12-2020, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/10/20 1:54 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

I like to get my hands in the dirt. And the last thing
I want is to get fricasséed on some glass!

Old 26-12-2020, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I had a start when I saw this!

https://www.groworganic.com/collecti...ost-1-cubic-ft

Â*Â*Â*Â* "Note: While screened through a 1/4 inch mesh, this
Â*Â*Â*Â* green waste compost may still contain small amounts
Â*Â*Â*Â* of non-organic foreign objects (glass, metal,
Â*Â*Â*Â* plastic, wood, etc). Accordingly, always use gloves
Â*Â*Â*Â* when handling it. Furthermore, check its internal
Â*Â*Â*Â* temperature before amending with it to ensure that
Â*Â*Â*Â* it has cooled down enough for your purpose.

Use gloves!Â* glass, metal, plastic, wood, etc!

Someone should have told them that beer bottles and
beer cans and left over cars parts DO NOT GO INTO THE
COMPOSTER!

Yikes!

-T

I've been composting for years.

--
Maggie
Old 28-12-2020, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Muggles" wrote in message ...
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I had a start when I saw this!

https://www.groworganic.com/collecti...ost-1-cubic-ft
"Note: While screened through a 1/4 inch mesh, this
green waste compost may still contain small amounts
of non-organic foreign objects (glass, metal,
plastic, wood, etc). Accordingly, always use gloves
when handling it. Furthermore, check its internal
temperature before amending with it to ensure that
it has cooled down enough for your purpose.

Use gloves! glass, metal, plastic, wood, etc!

Someone should have told them that beer bottles and
beer cans and left over cars parts DO NOT GO INTO THE
COMPOSTER!

Yikes!

-T

I've been composting for years.

When you are the one composting you know exactly what's in the mix. I
hadn't followed the link but assumed a commercial blend. Having followed
the link it claims to be organic so, again just guessing, I think they are
covering themselves should something random appear in your garden.

Mike

Old 28-12-2020, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/27/2020 8:30 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Muggles" wrote in message ...
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I bought some "premium" "fish" compost from a local supplier. I was very
surprised at the amount of small chunks of glass and plastic in it. We
will picking them out for years.

That was better than the yard of gravel I got from the city truck after
they "sealed" the streets in the neighborhood. This was the loose gravel
that didn't stick to the sealer that they had swept up. There were
several used syringes in that load. They did warn me of that
possibility. The wonders of city living.
Old 30-12-2020, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/27/2020 10:30 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Muggles" wrote in message ...
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

We just put all the garden waste into the compost, and occasionally will
add some of the kitchen waste that is good to compost, too.

--
Maggie
Old 31-12-2020, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Muggles" wrote in message
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

Same here and I am forever amazed at the amount we put in the bin compared
with the amount that comes out. I like to think of it as my secret
concentrator.

Mike

Old 31-12-2020, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Muggles" wrote in message
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

At least you were forewarned with the gravel and were not surprised but the
glass and plastic in your "fish" compost would have had me saying rude
words.

Mike

Old 31-12-2020, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Muggles" wrote in message
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I did say the words, but the delivery guy was long gone.

Old 31-12-2020, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Muggles" wrote in message
On 12/10/2020 10:50 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I use kitchen waste, my lawn clippings, a few neighbor's lawn clippings,
and all the leaves I can gather from my yard and neighbor's city compost
tubs, plus ground up tree branches. This last year I added the purchased
5 yards of "fish compost" and just smoothed the beds and laid down a
inch or 2 layer over all the veggie beds. Probably going to do the
surface composting in the future if it keeps working as well. The
no-till thing seems to work.

My 2 5' x 5' x 4' bins were both heaped at the end of leaf collection.
Down probably a foot from there now.

An excellent discussion of something close to topic. Plants sharing.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...%20communicate.

Old 31-12-2020, 09:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
Same here and I am forever amazed at the amount we put in the bin compared
with the amount that comes out. I like to think of it as my secret
concentrator.

vegetable and food scraps are mostly water.

i've been dehydrating food scraps for many years now and
it never ceases to amaze me at how much they will shrink by
the time they are done.

i dehydrate them because it is an easy way to store them
until i get them put into the worm buckets. when they get
put into the worm buckets they soak up water again and the
worms chomp their way through them pretty quickly.

songbird
Old 31-12-2020, 10:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
... Probably going to do the
surface composting in the future if it keeps working as well. The
no-till thing seems to work.

i've been happy how it has been working out here, alas Mom
doesn't like any mulch left on top of the garden soil for the
veggie gardens or i'd be a lot further along, but it is still
gradually improving as the years go by.

songbird
Old 04-01-2021, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
Same here and I am forever amazed at the amount we put in the bin
compared
with the amount that comes out. I like to think of it as my secret
concentrator.

vegetable and food scraps are mostly water.

i've been dehydrating food scraps for many years now and
it never ceases to amaze me at how much they will shrink by
the time they are done.

i dehydrate them because it is an easy way to store them
until i get them put into the worm buckets. when they get
put into the worm buckets they soak up water again and the
worms chomp their way through them pretty quickly.

songbird

My kitchen waste goes in to a 2 litre box and that is emptied in to, I would
guess a 50 litre, black compost bin, with a lid to keep the flies, parrots
and ravens at bay. I have never seen the compost bin more than half full
and that would be on a leaf collection binge. As the bin is lightweight
plastic with an open bottom I move it about the garden every 3 to 6 months
and just rake what's there in to the current garden bed.

Mike

Old 06-01-2021, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
My kitchen waste goes in to a 2 litre box and that is emptied in to, I would
guess a 50 litre, black compost bin, with a lid to keep the flies, parrots
and ravens at bay. I have never seen the compost bin more than half full
and that would be on a leaf collection binge. As the bin is lightweight
plastic with an open bottom I move it about the garden every 3 to 6 months
and just rake what's there in to the current garden bed.

that would be easy.

since i use the results that come out of the worm farm as
my fertilizer i normally put down trenches in gardens where i
need to use it then cover it back up and then plant. as i've
been doing this coming up on 11yrs now it has been interesting
to see how the gardens respond and the worm populations change.

when starting out a new garden in this clay it is often that
i won't find any or many worms in the soil as i dig, but after
a few years of gardening and using the worm compost i will
start finding worms that survive our hot and cold seasons.

of course the worms love any organic matter i can find and
bury in any garden. full clay isn't their favorite place to
be but some clay is preferred over all sandy soils especially
for the night crawlers.

songbird