Old 08-02-2021, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Impatiens Lighting question

OK, probably not edible, but:
I'm starting some impatiens from seed, the new disease-resistant
"Imara SDR" and online instructions say they don't like too much
light, though do need light to germinate.
I've started using LED grow lights- more light for the watt- and
they're MUCH brighter than fluorescent grow lights. I notice that
basil isn't happy with that much light, so I'm trying a dimmable
version.
(Aside for the geeks: the LEDs are in a series string, and the power
supply is constant current, so ought to be easy to dim; just add a
variable resistor to the current regulator.)
Does anybody know the proper lux value to do this, or will I just read
the light level and tweak until the impatiens aren't loking bleached?
TIA,
--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

Old 09-02-2021, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

LEDs are dimmable, yes, just not the way you describe it. They are basically made to blink really fast and the longer they are on vs off the brighter they appear. Putting a resistor in series with them would not only be wasteful but also will make them stop working - they require just the right voltage across the leads to light up. They do make dimmers for LEDs - get one of those. This one looks like it should work and priced reasonably

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Creden...dp/B004DZONXI/
(goes up to 100W, so you can control quite a few of those LED grow lights)

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/edible...n-3093431-.htm

Old 09-02-2021, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 04:01:03 +0000, passerby
wrote:

LEDs are dimmable, yes, just not the way you describe it. They are basically made to blink really fast and the longer they are on vs off the brighter they appear.

I've looked at the circuitry of a non-dimmable grow light: The string
is powered by DC from a switching regulator that is sensing current
output rather than voltage. I had no problem replacing a few 3-watt
COB Leds with 5W (a little higher voltage drop), and measured current
stayed constant.
I'm really hoping someone has info on the proper light level for
Impatiens.
Thanks, all!