GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ping Songbird: Green been planting question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/217406-ping-songbird-green-been-planting-question.html)

T[_4_] 10-03-2021 03:24 AM

Ping Songbird: Green been planting question

Hi Songbird,

I got my green bean seeds in the mail few weeks ago.
They sent millions of them.

How do you plant your seeds? How far apart? Do you
expect the prune them out? Yada, Yada, Yada.

Many thanks,
-T

songbird[_2_] 10-03-2021 03:51 AM

T wrote:
Hi Songbird,

I got my green bean seeds in the mail few weeks ago.
They sent millions of them.

How do you plant your seeds? How far apart? Do you
expect the prune them out? Yada, Yada, Yada.

it depends upon what kind they are.

the soil needs to be warm enough, past all chances of
frost.

i'm going to assume you are talking about bush beans.

i plant them in rows with 8-12cm between them. i don't
thin them out. if they don't sprout or some get eaten by
rabbits or whatever the first week or two i'll replant and
hope those make it.

i just scrape a long straight shallow trench in the garden
and walk down the row and drop seeds at the spacing i want
and then go back with the hoe and bury them about 3cm deep
but perhaps deeper or more shallow based upon seed size and
my experience with those beans. once i have them buried i
walk along and tamp the soil firm with the hoe and then
water them in and then i keep the soil damp enough that they
will sprout. i spray the rows with the hose once or twice
a day to make sure they don't dry out. once they are up and
growing i can back off watering gradually to encourage the
roots to go deeper.

for me we don't usually get the beans planted here until
around mid-to-late May and into early June. i have a few
that i want to try planting earlier, but it is often hard for
me to get everything done on time.

songbird

T[_4_] 10-03-2021 05:51 AM

On 3/9/21 6:51 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

These are them:

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/be...rod000579.html

Now to protect the sprouts from the earwigs

songbird[_2_] 10-03-2021 01:09 PM

T wrote:
These are them:

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/be...rod000579.html

Now to protect the sprouts from the earwigs

i don't have a problem with those here. once in a while a
few cutworms get some of the seedlings, but my main pests are
the chipmunks, rabbits and groundhogs and those i hunt to
keep them from eating everything.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 10-03-2021 01:11 PM

T wrote:
Now to protect the sprouts from the earwigs

p.s. there are such things as earwig traps you can
construct yourself. google it and do it.

songbird

T[_4_] 12-03-2021 12:18 AM

On 3/10/21 4:11 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Now to protect the sprouts from the earwigs

p.s. there are such things as earwig traps you can
construct yourself. google it and do it.

songbird

I do have them, but I only catch a small percentage
of them

I do not have issues with sprouts that are large,
like zucchini.

But with small sprouts, the earwigs eat and burrow
right down to the seed, like eggplant, tomatillo,
and onion.

Are green bean seed sprouts large?

songbird[_2_] 12-03-2021 01:59 AM

T wrote:
Are green bean seed sprouts large?

yes, so perhaps they'll be ok.

songbird

Mayayana 02-04-2021 05:25 AM

Ping Songbird: Green been planting question

"T" wrote

| Awesome! Thank you!

Me too!

songbird[_2_] 02-04-2021 04:40 PM

Ping Songbird: Green been planting question

Mayayana wrote:
"T" wrote

| Awesome! Thank you!

Me too!

if your garden has cutworms you may need to protect
bean sprouts. sometimes chipmunks find certain ones
attractive and ignore others completely (the edamame
soybeans and a few others have been targetted here).

songbird