Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2021, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2021
Posts: 4
Default Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to damage roots

I am a homeowner without botany experience or knowledge.
I try to use logical "common sense" when/if/where I can be sensible.

I want to grow more elderberries (I have one adult elderberry bush only).

Googling how to propagate elderberry bushes I find this quote:
"Do not fertilize for the first year so as not to damage roots."
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/transp...rry-45396.html

If fertilizing is good for plants how can fertilizing in the
first year be damaging to the plants?

They didn't say "too much" fertilizer.
They said not to fertilize transplanted plants (in the first year).
And yet they said to put compost into the hole (isn't that fertilizer?).

Does that specific fertilizer advice from that site make any sense to you?
If so, can you explain the logic to me?
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)

  #2   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2021, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 330
Default Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not todamage roots

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 10:16:01 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
I am a homeowner without botany experience or knowledge.
I try to use logical "common sense" when/if/where I can be sensible.

I want to grow more elderberries (I have one adult elderberry bush only).

Googling how to propagate elderberry bushes I find this quote:
"Do not fertilize for the first year so as not to damage roots."
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/transp...rry-45396.html

If fertilizing is good for plants how can fertilizing in the
first year be damaging to the plants?

They didn't say "too much" fertilizer.
They said not to fertilize transplanted plants (in the first year).
And yet they said to put compost into the hole (isn't that fertilizer?).

Does that specific fertilizer advice from that site make any sense to you?
If so, can you explain the logic to me?
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)


My guess is that if you don't fertilize, the roots will be forced to grow deeper to get the nutrients the plant needs, establishing a good root system in the first year after transplantation.

Paul
  #3   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2021, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2021
Posts: 4
Default Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to damage roots

On 2021/04/01 2:51 pm, Pavel314 wrote:


My guess is that if you don't fertilize,
the roots will be forced to grow deeper
to get the nutrients the plant needs,
establishing a good root system in the
first year after transplantation.


This is very interesting!
Thank you for that observation.

Elderberry, from what I've read, DO have shallow roots!
So this need to go deeper may be critical for Elderberries!

"Transplanting elderberry is easy since its roots are fairly shallow."
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...derberries.htm

"Elderberries have relatively shallow root systems that colonize areas."
https://growingthehomegarden.com/201...opagating.html

"The root system is shallow, but take a wide area around it."
https://wildfoodshomegarden.com/Elderberry.html
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
  #4   Report Post  
Old 02-04-2021, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 330
Default Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not todamage roots

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 4:06:18 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/04/01 2:51 pm, Pavel314 wrote:


My guess is that if you don't fertilize,
the roots will be forced to grow deeper
to get the nutrients the plant needs,
establishing a good root system in the
first year after transplantation.

This is very interesting!
Thank you for that observation.

Elderberry, from what I've read, DO have shallow roots!
So this need to go deeper may be critical for Elderberries!

"Transplanting elderberry is easy since its roots are fairly shallow."
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...derberries.htm

"Elderberries have relatively shallow root systems that colonize areas."
https://growingthehomegarden.com/201...opagating.html

"The root system is shallow, but take a wide area around it."
https://wildfoodshomegarden.com/Elderberry.html
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)


For several years, we had many elderberry bushes which grew wild on our property. I made a lot of elderberry wine and elderberry flavored mead. Then, for no apparent reason, they all died out! Now we have no elderberry bushes on the property. One of my wife's friends says she has a lot of bushes at her place and we're welcome to come harvest them up there. Maybe I'll make a few more gallons this year.

Paul


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to damage roots John Robertson Gardening 2 01-04-2021 04:39 AM
elderberry bush is not fruiting [email protected] Gardening 1 19-09-2007 08:46 PM
elderberry bushes do not set frit [email protected] Gardening 2 09-07-2007 02:01 AM
Will next year's sunflowers grow from this year's roots? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 24-09-2006 08:20 PM
Fertilize or re-seed? Which first? jbrianchamberlin Lawns 4 16-06-2004 05:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017