Old 12-04-2021, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default a few pics from the other day

onion sprouts that survived the winter with no mulch or other
care. the thicker row could use some thinning if i want larger
onions, but i doubt i'll take the time and just eat them all as
green onions. this was just an experiment anyways to see how
those old seeds would even sprout and grow at all and then if
they would survive the winter.

https://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/...Spring_thm.jpg

the garlic patch, the green garlic is off to the right side with the larger plants being those grown for harvest later this summer:

https://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/...Garlic_thm.jpg

songbird
Old 13-04-2021, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/12/2021 9:55 AM, songbird wrote:
onion sprouts that survived the winter with no mulch or other
care. the thicker row could use some thinning if i want larger
onions, but i doubt i'll take the time and just eat them all as
green onions. this was just an experiment anyways to see how
those old seeds would even sprout and grow at all and then if
they would survive the winter.

https://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/...Spring_thm.jpg

the garlic patch, the green garlic is off to the right side with the larger plants being those grown for harvest later this summer:

https://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/...Garlic_thm.jpg

songbird

Looks about like the garlic my wife planted last fall and I asked about.
I pulled one and there was no clove yet so it may take a few months
more. Sort of surprised it was not winter killed.
Old 13-04-2021, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Looks about like the garlic my wife planted last fall and I asked about.
I pulled one and there was no clove yet so it may take a few months
more. Sort of surprised it was not winter killed.

no, they won't get a bulb this early, it takes a while to build
up roots and greenery and plus the sunshine has to be strong
enough to provide all that energy which gets stored in the bulb.

you can lift early garlic and eat it as a green garlic like
you would eat a green onion or even cook it up (the more you
cook it the more it will taste like a cooked green onion).

i don't harvest the garlic here until late June or into July
depending upon the weather.

as for being winter hardy, different types of garlic have
different tolerances. the garlic i grow here is a hardneck
garlic which has been grown here for 100yrs or more.

songbird

link to a few of my pond pics Smitty Ponds (alternative) 0 25-05-2007 05:51 PM
A few pics of finished pond Denise Ponds 5 22-07-2004 08:36 PM
A few new PICS of my koi Denise Ponds 4 08-02-2004 06:48 AM
A few new PICS of my koi/oops Denise Ponds 0 06-02-2004 10:42 PM
A few pics to share :-) Denise Ponds 2 29-06-2003 12:20 AM