Old 03-06-2021, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blackberry prune questin

On 6/2/21 5:29 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 6/2/2021 4:19 PM, songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
When I first moved to Seattle, I loved to go out and pick several
gallons each year. A couple pairs of jeans and an old leather coat, and
I was ready to go picking.

Â*Â* the last time i picked berries in the woods it was thimbleberries
and i ended up stepping on a rock that gave way and dumped my
container on the hillside.Â* and the bad thing about that was that i
don't really much like thimbleberries as compared to raspberries,
blueberries, blackberries, etc.Â* heh.Â*

Personally, I love thimble berries. They are a close second to
raspberries, but a lot harder to find many here.

Do they have seeds and thorns?

https://morningchores.com/growing-thimbleberries/
https://nativefoodsnursery.com/thimbleberry/

Old 03-06-2021, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
....thimbleberries...
Do they have seeds and thorns?

https://morningchores.com/growing-thimbleberries/
https://nativefoodsnursery.com/thimbleberry/

seeds yes. thorns no.

songbird
Old 03-06-2021, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
Personally, I love thimble berries. They are a close second to
raspberries, but a lot harder to find many here.

they are too cloyingly sweet to me. i like things more
on the tart side.

songbird
Old 03-06-2021, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/2/21 8:04 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
...thimbleberries...
Do they have seeds and thorns?

https://morningchores.com/growing-thimbleberries/
https://nativefoodsnursery.com/thimbleberry/

seeds yes. thorns no.

songbird

Big seeds like regular blackberries and raspberries
or little, unnoticeable seeds like Arapaho Blackberries?

They grow in zone 3-7 so idea for me. And since they
are wild, they will not have been hybridized for
unnatural levels of carbs. Double idea.

And since I am Keto, I can taste much lower levels
of sweetness, which is why I adore chokeberries and
non-ketos hate (choke on) them

:-)

-T
Old 03-06-2021, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
....thimbleberries...
Big seeds like regular blackberries and raspberries
or little, unnoticeable seeds like Arapaho Blackberries?

seedy.

They grow in zone 3-7 so idea for me. And since they
are wild, they will not have been hybridized for
unnatural levels of carbs. Double idea.

you missed my comment about them being cloyingly sweet.

i doubt they will be happy in an arid environment.
they're normally found in woodlands. the can tolerate
full sun, but i don't know that they'd tolerate full
arid sun and high temperature days.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/3/2021 4:10 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
...thimbleberries...
Big seeds like regular blackberries and raspberries
or little, unnoticeable seeds like Arapaho Blackberries?

seedy.

They grow in zone 3-7 so idea for me. And since they
are wild, they will not have been hybridized for
unnatural levels of carbs. Double idea.

you missed my comment about them being cloyingly sweet.

i doubt they will be happy in an arid environment.
they're normally found in woodlands. the can tolerate
full sun, but i don't know that they'd tolerate full
arid sun and high temperature days.

The ones I find (wild) seem to have a pretty short season as far as
harvesting of fruit. They almost always seem to be in small open areas
in the woods.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
The ones I find (wild) seem to have a pretty short season as far as
harvesting of fruit. They almost always seem to be in small open areas
in the woods.

yes, along the openings edges and along rivers/creeks and such
that was the normal place to find them.

songbird
Old 04-06-2021, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/3/21 4:10 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
...thimbleberries...
Big seeds like regular blackberries and raspberries
or little, unnoticeable seeds like Arapaho Blackberries?

seedy.

The trophy wife hates seeds.

They grow in zone 3-7 so idea for me. And since they
are wild, they will not have been hybridized for
unnatural levels of carbs. Double idea.

you missed my comment about them being cloyingly sweet.

I saw it. I thought you were comparing it to another
berry. And now I can't find the post to see. Search on body
did even find it.

If you find the "cloying", they'd probably make me want to
puke.

i doubt they will be happy in an arid environment.
they're normally found in woodlands. the can tolerate
full sun, but i don't know that they'd tolerate full
arid sun and high temperature days.

And since I am Keto, I can taste much lower levels
of sweetness, which is why I adore chokeberries and
non-ketos hate (choke on) them

:-)

songbird

Thank you for stopping me.