Old 02-03-2003, 01:27 AM
brian

Default pepper sprouts

Friends,

About two weeks ago, I planted some tomatoes and peppers (jalapeno and
anaheim) in small peet pots. The tomatoes have all sprouted, but the
peppers have not. Is it too soon for them to have sprouted, or should
I plant some more?

If I have to plant some more, can I plant them right in the ground? I
live in Orange County Ca. (I think zone 9a or 9b - those maps are so
small it is hard to be sure). Night time lows will be below 50F for
the next two weeks, then should stay 50F or above after that.

Also about planting, the back of my seed packs list a tempeture for
germination. Most say 50F, but some are a bit higher. Does this refer
to the lowest tempeture in a 24 hour period, or just the day time
tempeture?

Thanks in advance,

b.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Frankhartx

About two weeks ago, I planted some tomatoes and peppers (jalapeno and
anaheim) in small peet pots. The tomatoes have all sprouted, but the
peppers have not. Is it too soon for them to have sprouted, or should
I plant some more?

Peppers take longer to sprout than tomatoes--youe are about due/f I have to
plant some more, can I plant them right in the ground? I
live in Orange County Ca. (I think zone 9a or 9b - those maps are so
small it is hard to be sure). Night time lows will be below 50F for
the next two weeks, then should stay 50F or above after that.

Also about planting, the back of my seed packs list a tempeture for
germination. Most say 50F, but some are a bit higher. Does this refer
to the lowest tempeture in a 24 hour period, or just the day time
tempeture?

Thanks in advance,

For outdoor planting SOIL temperatures should be around 60+ degrees for these
crops. Start them indoors with plenty of light at an ambient temperature of
75-80 degrees. Plant out when nighttime temperatures average ABOVE 50 degrees.

Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Mike Stickney

Brian,
Peppers are slower to germinate than tomatoes and require a higher soil
temperature.I have a good reference which puts minimum soil temperature for
germination at 10 degrees Celsius for tomatoes and 15 Celsius for peppers.
They recommend waiting for a soil temperature of 18Celsius. They also say
peppers take 13 days to germinate at 20C and tomatoes take 8 days at 20C. I
germinate my seeds indoors and don't think it is worth planting them out
until the weather has warmed up in late spring.
Mike Stickney
om...